993 Forum 1995-1998

New ECU Commissioning

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 04:02 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New ECU Commissioning

I am investigating the purchase of a new ECU for my 98 993. Porsche is now "remanufacturing" ECU's for the 993. Very pricey, but they are the only game in town. I can purchase one through Sunset for around $2000 plus a core charge of about $1800. My understanding is that Porsche reuses the ECU case but adds all new internals.

My question is about commissioning the new ECU. Is this a DIY or do I have to get a dealership involved. Hopefully it is plug and play. Also, what needs to be done to my car since the current ECU had had the immobilizer decommissioned?
Old 04-15-2016, 04:15 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Plug and play. You will probably need to deal with the immobilizer (re-install it) or have your new ECU modified.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:23 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I have had 6 different ecu's in my turbo and have never had to mess with the immoboilizer
Old 04-15-2016, 04:27 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow. I bought one from Sunset a few years ago for ~$1000 outright. I had a different experience than plug and play. I was told the software had to be installed using the PWIS. The VIN is entered and the PIWIS downloads the correct program for the car. I had some peculiarities that the two local dealers could not deal with so I sent mine to Steve Weiner for programming.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:47 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's strange. Unlike later Porsches and other German cars, the ECU, immobilizer and key are not linked. You can substitute replacements for any of the above without programming. Like Basal, I've swapped ECUs back and forth with no issue.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:52 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JM993
That's strange. Unlike later Porsches and other German cars, the ECU, immobilizer and key are not linked. You can substitute replacements for any of the above without programming. Like Basal, I've swapped ECUs back and forth with no issue.
That may work with used ECUs. It is my understanding that new ones do not have software loaded.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:43 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel
That may work with used ECUs. It is my understanding that new ones do not have software loaded.
Hmm, that's interesting...So the $2k only buys the module, then you have to pay a dealer to flash the chip? What a pita, along with a gouging to boot!
Old 04-15-2016, 07:39 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Hmm, that's interesting...So the $2k only buys the module, then you have to pay a dealer to flash the chip? What a pita, along with a gouging to boot!
Buy new with chip and immobilizer programed out from Steve W. Power increase for real and will now work like a normal car re: lock button on fob. May be one of the best of many investments I have made on my 993.
Plug and play!
Old 04-15-2016, 08:29 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

+1 on Steve Weiner
Old 04-15-2016, 08:37 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

may i ask perhaps a naive question -- why in the normal course of owning/driving a 993 would a new ecu purchase be necessary?

...and how is this materially different that re-flashing an ecu with an aftermarket tune like many shops do... protomotive, steve wong, etc etc...
Old 04-15-2016, 08:59 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

I've had the original ECU worked on numerous times due to a stalling issue. We now believe the unit is malfunctioning and the solution is to replace it.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:03 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
may i ask perhaps a naive question -- why in the normal course of owning/driving a 993 would a new ecu purchase be necessary?

...and how is this materially different that re-flashing an ecu with an aftermarket tune like many shops do... protomotive, steve wong, etc etc...
Thread started with assumption new ECU needed and if it is 1995/1996, will need new. Especially if going with LW RS clutch. Search the forum. Mine from Steve is a new, not rebuilt 1998 ECU with chip and immobilizer delete and worth every penny. I owe Steve!
Old 04-15-2016, 09:28 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

I bought a new ECU after I swapped the transmission from tiptronic to manual in my car. After the swap, with the manual trans and the tiptronic ECU, the car had a CEL with a fault for transmission status. The car would stall every time I engaged the clutch. The tiptronic deceleration and idle maps were wrong for the manual trans. I looked in the PET and saw that the manual trans ECU had a different part number. So I bought a new one. It came with a some kind of tag that said it had to be initialized by an authorized Porsche service center. I called my local dealers and they both said that software needed to be loaded into it with the PIWIS. They both told me that they had to enter the VIN to get the software and that it would be tiptronic software for my car. One told me they could use a VIN from another 97 with manual transmission but then both cars would be flagged in the Porsche database as having replacement ECUs. I called Steve Weiner and he said he could take care of it. He included some other options that I appreciate. Yes, I bought a new ECU for a bit more than $1k and paid Steve ~$1k to program it. Money well spent at that point. Steve saved my project! In retrospect, he probably could have reprogrammed the tiptronic ECU for me. But I bought the new one before I talked to him.

For all of the years I had the car before the transmission swap I had problems getting the car to pass emissions. It would intermittently reset the readiness flags. A couple times I would have them all set, pull into the test station, and when the tech would pull it in and hook it up they would be reset. Most years I would have to do the drive cycle multiple times. I tried all the troubleshooting I could think of, looked for intermittent power and grounds , ... . After replacing the ECU for the project described above I have had no problem with the readiness codes. Must have been an intermittent connection inside the ECU.

I posted most of this before. Some one IM'd me and asked if they could buy the used tiptronic ECU. I told them that I thought it had issues with the readiness codes. He said that his shop told him that would not be a problem for his race car
application. And they said that they would load different software so it didn't matter that it was tiptronic.

For whatever that's worth.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:41 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
I've had the original ECU worked on numerous times due to a stalling issue. We now believe the unit is malfunctioning and the solution is to replace it.
After I put in an RS camshaft into my 993 C2S along with a top end rebuild I also had an idle/stalling problem. Messing with the gross control on the ISV did not solve it. So we sent the ECU to Protomotive and they raised the idle setting by 150 rpm... so this aspect you mention I do understand...but in my case I solved it with a remap of the existing ECU...my car is a 97...

Originally Posted by Hilltopper
Thread started with assumption new ECU needed and if it is 1995/1996, will need new. Especially if going with LW RS clutch. Search the forum. Mine from Steve is a new, not rebuilt 1998 ECU with chip and immobilizer delete and worth every penny. I owe Steve!
Steve W certainly the man... I am picking up a 95 soon, so maybe this is a bridge I will soon need to cross...

Originally Posted by hoggel
I bought a new ECU after I swapped the transmission from tiptronic to manual in my car. After the swap, with the manual trans and the tiptronic ECU, the car had a CEL with a fault for transmission status. The car would stall every time I engaged the clutch. The tiptronic deceleration and idle maps were wrong for the manual trans. I looked in the PET and saw that the manual trans ECU had a different part number. So I bought a new one. It came with a some kind of tag that said it had to be initialized by an authorized Porsche service center. I called my local dealers and they both said that software needed to be loaded into it with the PIWIS. They both told me that they had to enter the VIN to get the software and that it would be tiptronic software for my car. One told me they could use a VIN from another 97 with manual transmission but then both cars would be flagged in the Porsche database as having replacement ECUs. I called Steve Weiner and he said he could take care of it. He included some other options that I appreciate. Yes, I bought a new ECU for a bit more than $1k and paid Steve ~$1k to program it. Money well spent at that point. Steve saved my project! In retrospect, he probably could have reprogrammed the tiptronic ECU for me. But I bought the new one before I talked to him.

For all of the years I had the car before the transmission swap I had problems getting the car to pass emissions. It would intermittently reset the readiness flags. A couple times I would have them all set, pull into the test station, and when the tech would pull it in and hook it up they would be reset. Most years I would have to do the drive cycle multiple times. I tried all the troubleshooting I could think of, looked for intermittent power and grounds , ... . After replacing the ECU for the project described above I have had no problem with the readiness codes. Must have been an intermittent connection inside the ECU.

I posted most of this before. Some one IM'd me and asked if they could buy the used tiptronic ECU. I told them that I thought it had issues with the readiness codes. He said that his shop told him that would not be a problem for his race car
application. And they said that they would load different software so it didn't matter that it was tiptronic.

For whatever that's worth.
Major tranny swap out like this case, of course, I get that a new ECU, freshly written on, may make the most sense.

Thanks all for educating me.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:31 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

After I put in an RS camshaft into my 993 C2S along with a top end rebuild I also had an idle/stalling problem. Messing with the gross control on the ISV did not solve it. So we sent the ECU to Protomotive and they raised the idle setting by 150 rpm... so this aspect you mention I do understand...but in my case I solved it with a remap of the existing ECU...my car is a 97... Steve W certainly the man... I am picking up a 95 soon, so maybe this is a bridge I will soon need to cross... Major tranny swap out like this case, of course, I get that a new ECU, freshly written on, may make the most sense. Thanks all for educating me.
I had a long chat with Steve Weiner last night about my thoughts to purchase a new ECU for my car. We discussed if a new ECU from Porsche was plug and play or not. Steve said that the new ECU would be plug and play UNLESS I wanted the immobilizer activated which has to be done through the dealer since it is VIN dependent. Since I don't want the immobilizer, I should be able to install a new unit right out of the box. Obviously, the new ECU would have to go through an adaptation before the car sorts itself out.

Quick Reply: New ECU Commissioning