993 Forum 1995-1998

New Shoes on the Carrera 4

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 04:55 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New Shoes on the Carrera 4

So I bought a set of Fifteen52/UrbanOutlaw wheels over 18 months ago and had them sitting in my garage collecting dust (new in the boxes) until last Friday. I finally decided to dedicate some time to getting a new set of tires and getting them mounted and balanced and slapped on.

First off, my old Techart / OZ's were 18x8.5 et41 w/ 225/40 Pirelli Pzero Rosso's FRONT and 18x11 et60 w/ 285/30 Pirelli Pzero Rosso's REAR.

These new Outlaw 001's are 18x8.5 et45 w/ 225/40 Sumitomo HTR Z III's FRONT and 18x11 et62 w/ 285/30 Sumitomo HTR Z III's as well.

The tire difference is astounding! Not only the price being aprox 50% of the Pirellis, and the physical difference but the general handling characteristics. I drove about 70 miles on the Sumitomo's and mostly all back roads, twisties, hairpins, etc. I LOVE the Sumitomos. The old Pirelli's were wider overall but the treadpatch was almost identical. (See TireRack and click SPECS for 285/30 PIRELLI HERE and 285/30 SUMITOMO HERE ) Just more sidewall and rim protector bead on the Pirellis. With the higher ET's and narrow tires, there is NO chance I can get these to rub. I used to rub going in and out of steep driveway ramps and even on mellow off-throttle turns. Also, the rears used to rub on HARD compression (no rolled fenders). I tried everything imaginable to get these to rub and I couldn't... so if you don't mind the slight wheel lip poke (im on the edge), these 285's would be PERFECT even on a 10 or 10.5" rear.

I'm disappointed with the lack of "dish" but honestly, it's a narrow body 993... what do I expect? The Techart's have a slight dish cast center so they allow for a slightly deeper lip but the difference between front and rear with the new wheels is still obviously noticeable. I'm vain... what can I say

PICS...

11's are WIDE...

They clear the inner fender of the body by about 8mm at full droop. Perfect.

Appear to have about 10mm caliper clearance... should be plenty if I go to Big Reds at any point.

This shows the treads at almost the exact same width but the sidewall is stretched on the Sumitomos compared to the same size Pirellis...

Last edited by RichPugh; 03-13-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:57 PM
bigrig
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

looks great Rich! i was wondering when you were going to mount them..
Old 03-13-2016, 08:00 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bigrig
looks great Rich! i was wondering when you were going to mount them..

Thanks dude. I could def go wider but I can lower the car to like Cup Car height like this probably lol. Maybe time for RS uprights and tie rods I still envy your lip but with how the centers are made on these, I cant expect much more.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:14 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Your car always looks good, man. Good to hear some positive feedback on the Sumi. I have a set of Sumi as well and no complaints here.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:16 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Rich-- What a long wait; you were the Urban Outlaw evangelist on the "futuristic FUCHS" thread.
...but SO worth it - good things come to Pughs who wait

IMHO, both you & Neil are the posterboys of 5-petal Fifteen52s & Rotiforms
Originally Posted by bigrig
Old 03-13-2016, 08:17 PM
bigrig
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RichPugh
Thanks dude. I could def go wider but I can lower the car to like Cup Car height like this probably lol. Maybe time for RS uprights and tie rods I still envy your lip but with how the centers are made on these, I cant expect much more.
my wheels are sandwich mount like yours, but i have a much lower ET than you and i am running a good amount of stretch.
happy to see your wheels on, i do miss you posting..
Old 03-13-2016, 11:41 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 121 Posts

Hi Rich,

those wheels look super tough on your car - I love the homage to the Fuchs style --- well done!

I do agree with you wanting to maximize the perceived rear lip depth as a way the enjoy the both worlds --- the "narrow body shaped petite rear" of an, ahem, vivacious yoga instructor for example, while still having real wide wheel lips.

Think you are there in the front.

For the rear wheel --- can you sacrifice that 10mm clearance to the brake caliper from center forging that you are reserving for big reds in the rear by sticking w blacks? If you sacrifice that 10mm clearance down to say, 3mm, you can have the wheel company mill down the mounting face to get you 3mm clearance (assuming enough strength there). The wheel face would be 7mm closer to the hub.

Then, use outer and inner lips (Barrells) to achieve a 10" wheel in the back. You can get both 265 rubber and 285 rubber on a 10" wheel in the back. Then, you would use the following rims halves in the rear -

2.5" outer rim rear
7.5" inner rim rear

That 2.5" outer rim is how The NB Tramont guys eat Deep Dish Pizza yet get still trim yoga-tone derrieres. Wait --- I think thank come out incorrectly but you know what I mean :-)
I ended up with at ET+58

Best Regards
jlaa

Last edited by Jlaa; 03-13-2016 at 11:55 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-14-2016, 09:37 AM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Jlaa, it's possible but not worth it, lol. Most wheels are cast centers with a dish made into the center. They curve inward towards the assembly hardware which in turn makes for a wider outside lip. I talked to the wheel manufacturer and they said they could try to utilize that "extra" space for the caliper clearance and then swap the inner barrel for a 1/2" narrower one and use a 1/2" wider one on the outer lip but that's literally going all that way for 1/2" extra lip, lol. I'm convinced I could run a 1" wider lip at that point but that's just overkill. BigRig's lips are a solid 20+mm out further than mine... Forget the difference in the depth. But I don't think I wanna push them that far out. 11" with a 285/30 feels the best for handling how I drive. Going down to a 10" with a deeper lip would be like going backwards
Old 03-14-2016, 12:10 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

BigRig, your outer lip is probably 20+mm further out than mine so... I could get those 10mm back on the center, use a 1/2" narrower inner barrel, slap a 1" wider outer lip on and VOILA!... But I'm lazy. I doubt I will... haha.

BigRig's rear lip placement...

My rear lip placement...
Old 03-14-2016, 12:17 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Only about 6mm clearance between the rear of the inner barrel and the body at the current offset. Here's the clearance between the backside of the wheel center and the caliper in the rear... tons...

Old 03-14-2016, 12:23 PM
Sam P
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich,

Looks great - you have a awesome car
Old 03-14-2016, 01:18 PM
sander97C2
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

The wheels look great Rich! Love the ducktail, front end, it's all looking real nice. Will you be at Hershey this year?
Old 03-14-2016, 01:28 PM
Mayo71
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

niceeee
Old 03-14-2016, 02:35 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sander97C2
The wheels look great Rich! Love the ducktail, front end, it's all looking real nice. Will you be at Hershey this year?
Thanks guys. Yep I'll def be there! Trying to hang at the Cactus garage the night before:bi ggulp:
Old 03-14-2016, 03:11 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow, Rich! Those are bad to the bone. I really like the color combo. I just ordered a set for mine last week. I'm going with the same specs as my Zuff/Fikses and in all black. How long did it take to get yours after you ordered?

Quick Reply: New Shoes on the Carrera 4