993 Forum 1995-1998

Suspension ? Retiring track car

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 02:55 PM
dapplestein
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension ? Retiring track car

Retiring track car and want to soften suspension for daily driving. Which would have the greater effect? New (stock?) springs or new (stock?) shocks? Thanks
Old 03-03-2016, 03:07 PM
dapplestein
Rennlist Member

Curren setup: Bilstein HD's and H&R sport lowering springs. Also lower to the max.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:20 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

install standard ride height springs to regain travel and compliance
consider re-valving HDs to allow softer compression settings

you currently have a notoriously "crashy" setup, well suited for flat tracks, but not so good for bumpy streets.

If it were me, I'd just replace with KW Variant 3 coilovers.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:21 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Lots of guys run the Bilstein HD's and M033 or M030 springs on the street and seem very happy with them. In direct answer to your question, neither. See the springs I mentioned and get rid of the, "lower to the max" setting.

Stock Monroe shocks are not very good and lack any newer technology. 993's should not look like they are ready for the Dakar rally, and that is what you get with stock springs.

Last edited by nine9six; 03-03-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:48 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
you currently have a notoriously "crashy" setup, well suited for flat tracks, but not so good for bumpy streets.

If it were me, I'd just replace with KW Variant 3 coilovers.
Well put.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:40 PM
JDB1
Advanced

I'm very satisfied with the setup you currently have; HD + H&R. I don't understand why people think this setup is "crashy". I must assume the road surface is extremely rough and the dampers are being compressed to the point of hitting the bump-stop. Should this be the case, you need stiffer springs, the KW V3 would do it.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:01 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JDB1
I'm very satisfied with the setup you currently have; HD + H&R. I don't understand why people think this setup is "crashy". I must assume the road surface is extremely rough and the dampers are being compressed to the point of hitting the bump-stop. Should this be the case, you need stiffer springs, the KW V3 would do it.
Which H&R springs do you have? Donyou have helper spring? I think the OP has pretty hard short springs.

I have HR springs and they are great on the street, but they are too soft for the track.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:37 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought most people go for HDs and H&R lowering springs when they refresh the stock suspension for the street....???

Isn't that the most economical setup? Check if your springs are the stock stiffness. If not, swap out your springs.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:49 PM
JDB1
Advanced

The H&R springs I have are the recent sport variety that are progressively wound, and as such do not need the helper springs as the free standing length is long enough that a gape is not a problem at any HD adjustment height. I rate this combination as a very good street set up, but not a serious track choice. In my opinion, it is virtually impossible to get a spring/damper combination that will totally satisfy both. For the street, road surface conditions are infinite and therefore a spring damper combination somewhere in the middle will satisfy most often; for serious racing, one needs to adjust dampers and change spring rates depending on which track they plan to race. Serious racing is not cheap and requires a lot of attention to detail. However, sometimes the journey is more enjoyable than the destination.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:37 PM
dapplestein
Rennlist Member

Default Assume I'm "crashy"

Let's assume I'm "crashy" in the front and am hitting the bump-stop, what are the suggested cures? The spring plates on the Bilsteins are at the top of the adjustment grooves.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:50 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by dapplestein
Let's assume I'm "crashy" in the front and am hitting the bump-stop, what are the suggested cures? The spring plates on the Bilsteins are at the top of the adjustment grooves.
Don, have you measured the car height? If you are close to RS height (or lower) you going to get a fair amount of bump steer. The only way I know to correct this is either raise the car height or get RS uprights. It sounds like you might want to get a different set of springs to raise the car if you want to keep the HDs.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Suspension ? Retiring track car