Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Öhlins suspension for a 993, do they exist? If not what else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 11:48 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Another great shock worth looking at is MCS, for 993 they range from $2700 to $6k a set
Old 12-31-2016, 12:20 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default +++For MCS

(Thanks Bill for bring my inspiration, as usual) Like many of us I started out on stock 993 suspension, in the never ending quest for performance, went to a complete M030 (RoW) suspension, still a bargain in my opinion, then a set of somewhat lightly used PSS9s with TRG front and rear sways and now on a set of MCS (2W) for several years. This suspension is not cheap, but it's design, fit/finish and performance make it a bargain. This is the last suspension you'll ever need. In addition, they come with world class workmanship and history. The MCS (2W) is machined in Holland and assembled in Georgia. The director/owner of MCS, Lex Carson has a long history in the business, with experience at JRZ and Moton.

This particular model lists for $4,500***. You will then need to buy springs and tenders. Steve Weiner, my MCS dealer, suggested the H&R 700F, 900R (There are numerous options). The 700/900s are track springs, not super radical, but track springs. You could back off the compression and rebound to 0, and reduce the N pressure for street, but they will still be less than optimal for street, IMHO. In contrast the PSS9, from my recollection, was 250F 450R. Stock is 150F 300R...

On a 993, lowered into a track stance such as 993 RS ride height, 993 RS front wheel carriers should be incorporated into the acquisition, about $1,500 + or - (The cost a few years back). You will also need camber plates at about $1,500, and for the rear springs some sort of mounting ring (Forgot the name, but fortunately cheap).

Then you must decide if you want the the suspension in a "short" or standard version, can't delineate the benefits of "short"...(Being that I bought the suspension in a got to have them euphoria), I never inquired about "short" or quick disconnect options. Are they a must have? Talk to Steve Weiner or Lex Carson.

I have the standard. I would guess that "short" equals reduced spring travel. As mentioned above, you need to decide yea, or nay on quick disconnect. Quick Disconnect will make installation much easier requiring smaller holes drilled into the tub. You need only pass the N gas tubing through the tub, from the shock/strut to the remote canister. Otherwise you need to make a hole big enough to pass the canister through, or depressurize the struts/shocks, disconnect the N lines. I can't imagine the quick disconnect is a very expensive option. I'd recommend it for ease of installation, and handy in the unlikely event that you need to send a canister(s) out for work.

From the MCS web site: "The MCS 2-Way damper is far from basic. This damper set features a full 14 clicks of compression adjustment and 18 clicks of rebound adjustment over a wide range, specific to each vehicle’s specific requirements. Remote reservoirs give superior fluid temperature control and are available (or standard depending on application) with quick-release hydraulic lines for easy installation.

This damper set is beyond the more common coil-over systems on the market. MCS 2-Ways are dependable, repeatable, and easy to work with. Valving covers a wide range of spring rates and eliminates the need to constantly revalve every time you want to increase or decrease your spring rate. Reservoir pressure can be adjusted between 100 – 275 PSI to help support the platform in fast cornering or generate more weight transfer / traction at low velocity.

Dampers are more than just number of adjustments and just click count – the shape of the resulting curves is specifically engineered to give your car the most grip through the range of surface conditions and dynamic inputs your vehicle experiences. 2-Way dampers are available for many popular sports cars."
Attached Images  

Last edited by Martin S.; 12-31-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:51 PM
disconoir
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My issue wit this (and I'm an Ohlins fan) is that Miata Ohlins cost $2K and P993 Ohlins cost $$5K. This is one of those instances where greed is not good.
This!
Old 08-27-2017, 02:15 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Just watched PSI setup another Ohlins TTX kit for Singer. If any of you ballers want to spend the $$$ for em contact Beau.....

http://performanceshock.com/

Quick Reply: Öhlins suspension for a 993, do they exist? If not what else?