Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Öhlins suspension for a 993, do they exist? If not what else?

Old 03-08-2016, 12:10 PM
evoderby
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure our wives won't be impressed with either choice....;-)

Last edited by evoderby; 03-09-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:47 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Name:  Suspension_zps4pxew30w.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  128.8 KB
Old 11-01-2016, 01:37 PM
craina
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Bumping this thread. Any updates on when the R+T kit will become available for the 993? I have them on my BMW 1m and absolutely love them.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:49 PM
squidge
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

+1. I was eyeballing the R&T for my 128i as it had a great reputation, and am a little bummed to only really have Bilsteins as a cost-effective option on the 993.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:05 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Regarding some of the rather generalized statements on suspension, I submit the following...

A proper setup of spring rates, compression and rebound damping, will make night/day difference in handling which will far exceed a 3/10 difference.

Ohlins suspension is indeed a preferred component in the racing community, but the R&T offerings, I believe are at the low end of the spectrum of the suspension components they offer. This is to compete with the track, entry to mid-level competition being mentioned.

Inverted R&T motorcycle forks run around $2k new. Superbike forks are in the $20k range...And significantly more at the MotoGP level.

Depends hugely on the level of racing commitment and budget.

Last edited by nine9six; 11-01-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:07 PM
squidge
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

It's all relative. I'm coming from Monroes so I'd likely be happy with nearly anything.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:16 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ohlins

FWIW I run Olhins all around on my BMW R9T including the steering damper a not insignificant upgrade at >$3k out the door. Worth every dollar and then some, full stop at least in my subjective opinion. Damn these threads.... my Pss9's while not worn I don't believe at 100k admittedly agressive street miles are not long for this world.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2016, 11:36 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K993
Ohlins do not exist for the 993.
Actually they do. http://performanceshock.com/index.ph...oducts_id=1350

I can vouch for these guys. They are my neighbors at Sonoma raceway. I've been working with Beau for years.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:59 PM
ichibum9
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like they might be getting ready to release these in Europe:

http://store.ohlinscoilovers.co.uk/o...vertible.html/

Link is dead, but someone set it up. I emailed someone at Ohlins USA a long time ago to ask if they were going to develop something, and he was under the impression that they wouldn't import that set-up to the US. I hope that's not the case, as I've seen the 964 r&t set-up and it looked really nice.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:52 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts

Hence why PSS10's make a lot of sense for most. Bilstein did a pretty darn well in setting them up and allowing the user to have a fair nice curve of adjustment. Otherwise, you guys are SPOT on! The end user rarely benefits except through proper help and actual tuning of these 3/4 way systems. In my opinion, I've had a much easier time setting Ohlin's up on a quad or mx bike. Bumps, jumps, undulations, etc are all very much present. Whereas a relatively smooth track (which is never quite the case; though it seems such) is far, far harder. I can verbalize; yet my tuning on tarmac is rookie at best......
Old 12-20-2016, 04:44 PM
craina
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ichibum9
Looks like they might be getting ready to release these in Europe:

http://store.ohlinscoilovers.co.uk/o...vertible.html/

Link is dead, but someone set it up. I emailed someone at Ohlins USA a long time ago to ask if they were going to develop something, and he was under the impression that they wouldn't import that set-up to the US. I hope that's not the case, as I've seen the 964 r&t set-up and it looked really nice.
http://store.ohlinscoilovers.co.uk/c.../category/643/

Here is a good link. Pricey @ £4195. I paid much less for DFV setup on my BMW 1m but that car, while rare, has the same suspension setup as the e90 m3.

I really want these on my 993, but not at that price. Looks like I am going pss10
Old 12-21-2016, 12:17 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by craina
http://store.ohlinscoilovers.co.uk/c.../category/643/

Here is a good link. Pricey @ £4195. I paid much less for DFV setup on my BMW 1m but that car, while rare, has the same suspension setup as the e90 m3.

I really want these on my 993, but not at that price. Looks like I am going pss10
no doubt the ohlins are on another level, but like many are beyond the ROI for me at this point. however, i'm on the 10's and love'em. i've dialed them up for big willow and fontana, and dialed them down for the street. no comparison to the monroes and i run them pretty stiff in street configuration. 6F/5R. paired with new arb's and pro alignment the car sticks and handles beautifully.

Last edited by FLYT993; 12-21-2016 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-30-2016, 01:07 PM
disconoir
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so finally available but almost twice the price of Bilsteins or KW - what to do!!
Old 12-30-2016, 01:49 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default I's a great story

But is it worth 4,195 English Pounds? Here as what I have learned, the "Hard Way"...in other words, having my suspension "massage me severely" on a 600 mile road trip. California roads are not that good; the state spends their gas tax funds on other priorities. There are two types of suspension, street (sporty street) such as PSS 10s, etc., and dedicated track suspension. Anytime you think there is such a thing as a dual purpose suspension, delusion is right around the corner. Let's recall that most race racks are smooth and constantly maintained, not the case for your basic public road. And finally, if you are something other than a top contender in your track class, you don't need a track focused suspension, it's not going to function to the point where you go from mid-pack to podium. For this to occur, you need to be blessed with huge talent, and be in a continuous self improvement mode. You can't be doing the same things over and over and expecting different results. Here is where AiM comes in...see below.

I went from M030 (RoW) suspension to PSS9s, with camber plates on my 1997 993 car. Eager to break some track records, out to the track I went..guess what? No real improvement. One of the take aways here may be, the M030 (RoW) suspension with 22mm front and 20mm rear anti-roll bars, is pretty good, primitive compared to the PSS10, but good nonetheless. Later I upgraded to MCS 2 way, remote reservoirs, 700 Lb front, 900 Lb rear springs, used the old camber plates, and went total ERP on the rear suspension links. I am a little quicker, the car is more predictable...but it should be considering I spent over $7,000 on the suspension. The car feels fantastic on the track...a little rough on the street...now and then I lust for a PSS 10 suspension with the old M030 (RoW) anti-roll bars and adjustable Tarrett drop links.

Conclusion: Don'r expect miracles from a "coil over" up grade...it helps, but what really helps is buying an AiM Data Logger such as a MXL 2, or and analyzing you driving strengths and weaknesses. All IMHO of course.

These Öhlins Coilovers feature the unique Dual Flow Valve technology – it’s what sets Öhlins apart from its competitors! Only Öhlins has DFV technology available on its Road and Track suspension

The Dual Flow Valve (DFV) opens more quickly and easily on minor road imperfections so ride comfort is surprisingly supple and more akin to an OEM strut than a coilover set-up. Over undulating surfaces, the compliance of the R&T units allows the suspension to follow the contours of bumps and pot-holes, which translates into dynamic stability and control. This ensures traction is always maintained at its optimum level.

Thanks to the damper fluid having a consistent path of flow in both directions, the DFV gives the same benefit on rebound as it does on compression. This means the wheel and tyre can quickly and effectively resume their important position back on the ground providing grip and traction.

The new Öhlins R&T range uses this DFV technology to maximise the vehicle’s ability to absorb bumps and rough surfaces on typical British B roads whilst providing OEM levels of refinement without sacrificing on track performance.
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2016, 02:18 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

My issue wit this (and I'm an Ohlins fan) is that Miata Ohlins cost $2K and P993 Ohlins cost $$5K. This is one of those instances where greed is not good.
The following users liked this post:
Paolo1 (08-21-2023)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Öhlins suspension for a 993, do they exist? If not what else?