Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Öhlins suspension for a 993, do they exist? If not what else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 11:55 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
Have a look at what the race cars at the pointy end of most race series in Europe are using. Ohlins shock absorbers have been on more winning race cars than MCS.

Have a look what shocks were on the Audis entries in Lemans since 2001, or the winners of the British touring car championship, or MotoGP, or Aussie V8 Super Cars, or Montoya's Indy 500 Win, or numerous WRC Championships, or Tony Stewarts nascar wins....
Good points...recall, MCS is a relatively new business. Lex Carson, MCS's founder, was from JRZ and later Moton, he wanted to do things a little differently and started a new company. The MCS parts are machined in Holland and assembled in Georgia. He is carving out a little niche for MCS. If they turn out to be great struts/shocks, then we'll see more of them at various venues. I have a set...recommend to me by Steve Weiner. They have been very good for me..it's hard for me to describe "how good they are" as I am used to them...can't really recall what the PSS9s felt like, back in the day. I do recall the first time I went to the track with my new MCS suspension, it was an OMG moment. There is a suspension for everybody.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:06 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Ohlins are top shelf. They do not have an offering in the price range of mcs. Mcs are good dampers. Ohlins are better.
But candidly 90> is in the setup and I'd bet if you get an ace chassis guy setting up Ohlins clubsports jrz rs mcs you'd be hard to
Feel the difference.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:35 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Ohlins are top shelf. They do not have an offering in the price range of mcs. Mcs are good dampers. Ohlins are better.
But candidly 90> is in the setup and I'd bet if you get an ace chassis guy setting up Ohlins clubsports jrz rs mcs you'd be hard to
Feel the difference.
Agreed, there are many great shocks on the market and to feel the difference in a well setup car is going to take a professional or someone that spends an inordinate amount of time in the drivers seat.

I have never driven in a set of MCS shocks, but have driven in Moton, JRZ, Ohlins, KW's and many others. When you get into anything that is 1500 to 2000 a corner you are getting amazing shocks that for most people on the forum could not tel the difference.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:44 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
When you get into anything that is 1500 to 2000 a corner you are getting amazing shocks that for most people on the forum could not tel the difference.
And let's not forget, you don't really adjust this high end suspension ***** nilly with your "Buttometer", you need a data logger and shock potentiometers on all four corners. As an example an AiM MXL 2 is about $2,000, + $500 for the basic sensors + $1,000 for the shock pots and in addition, the labor to put all this in.

OK so now you have all of the above...next, you need to learn to download the data after ever session and look for areas of degradation and or improvement. If you are a computer geek, you can learn pretty quickly, if you are not so capable with software, it will take a while to "Get it". Thank God that Roger Caddell at AiM puts on Data Logging seminars around the country, beginning and advanced, and creates and posts up great videos on You Tube.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:01 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I was at an event this Monday at the Öhlins HQ. Their goal is to develop a kit for every Porsche model/line. A 993 and 964 Road&Track kit, later this year och early next year. And for some models a verison of their TTX dampers. They have such a kit now for the 991 GT3
Old 03-02-2016, 11:33 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
And let's not forget, you don't really adjust this high end suspension ***** nilly with your "Buttometer", you need a data logger and shock potentiometers on all four corners. As an example an AiM MXL 2 is about $2,000, + $500 for the basic sensors + $1,000 for the shock pots and in addition, the labor to put all this in.

OK so now you have all of the above...next, you need to learn to download the data after ever session and look for areas of degradation and or improvement. If you are a computer geek, you can learn pretty quickly, if you are not so capable with software, it will take a while to "Get it". Thank God that Roger Caddell at AiM puts on Data Logging seminars around the country, beginning and advanced, and creates and posts up great videos on You Tube.
Agreed on all points. And for the average Joe, this is not possible, not feasible and potentially not valuable.

One additional point, a car may be able to attain a high G rating in a specific corner, or more speed through a sweeper because of a $10,000 shock vs a $5,000. However if the car does not instill any confidence in the driver it is worth nothing, and will not bring lap times down.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:04 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Öhlins on one of my bikes, good stuff. I can only hope they will be affordable for the 993, but I won't hold my breath.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:08 AM
disconoir
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah hoping they will come in as an option at the lower end of their pricing, I found some TTX(?) model ones for about $11k which was a bit steep for me.

They do some Road and track ones in the UK from about £1500 just not for the 993, thats what I was hoping they'd release.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:04 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Ohlins on my SC1000s, $$$. X2 for a 993 at least. PSS10s could offset this...want.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:18 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
Ohlins on my SC1000s, $$$. X2 for a 993 at least. PSS10s could offset this...want.

I question how much better an Ohlins suspension would be compared to my PSS9's. I never had Ohlins on any of my bikes but had LE rebuilt forks and a Fox shock on my GSXR but didn't really see Jesus. I think you need to be an expert at setup like someone mentioned above to extract the last 3/10.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:44 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
I think you need to be an expert at setup like someone mentioned above to extract the last 3/10.
Agree, however I just want them for the same reason I want for titanium wheel nuts.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
Agree, however I just want them for the same reason I want for titanium wheel nuts.
Agreed and we can discuss over beers.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:25 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To add to the discussion:

What sets apart 3-way adjustable JRZ and Moton type dampers from less expensive options to a substantial part lies in their slow bump vs. fast bump circuitry. This enables a 'stiffly' damped slow bump setting to help counter body roll, whilst fast bump setting allows you to ride bumps/undulations in relative comfort without the wheels skipping/jumping over bumps and losing control in the process.

In street conditions this leads to a far more comfortable ride in spite of running stiffly set dampers, in track conditions this allows riding the curbs in absolute control which according to Moton gives a 1-1.5 seconds per lap advantage running a GT3 on a 1:30min track.

The separate pressurised canisters furthermore allow a form a spring rate tuning / suspension frequency tuning, by varying the pressure between 1 and 20 Bar.

I've run JRZ 3-way adjustables on my Integrale Evo and they completely transformed the car, both on track as well as on the road where they gave a much more comfortable ride in spite of running 50% higher spring rates compared to standard.

Are they worth it on the street? I'd say yes!!!!
Old 03-08-2016, 07:34 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW JRZ, Moton and MCS all have Dutch origins....with Jerome being the J in JRZ to later start Moton, and now MCS.

Furthermore we have Koni, Intrax and Reiger to name but a few...the latter being particularly succesfull in MX and Dakar.

Probably something to do with all speed bumps that Holland comes littered with;-)
Old 03-08-2016, 10:55 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 40 Posts

I want the Ohlins because they look cooler. I have a simple brain.
--Michael

Quick Reply: Öhlins suspension for a 993, do they exist? If not what else?