993 Forum 1995-1998

Heat Shields NB WTB

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 11:52 AM
red67vert
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Heat Shields NB WTB

Anyone have a set of NB muffler heat shields they are not using? are they necessary with ceramic coated muffs?
Old 02-19-2016, 11:53 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

No need according to FDM
Old 02-20-2016, 07:13 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
No need according to FDM
...but strangely enough, they have never quantified the heat reduction properties of their spray-on ceramic coating
Old 02-20-2016, 07:37 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by red67vert
Anyone have a set of NB muffler heat shields they are not using? are they necessary with ceramic coated muffs?
better make sure you have the brackets still on the mufflers to attache the shields.

I don't think anybody can say with certainty if you need them or not. For some reason porsche put a lot of alum covering in the bumper. My wild guess goes towards reducing heat going to the tail lights, which would have an affect over long run.

My mom has mazda cx-7 and the light bulb generated enough heat to discolor and eventually melt part of the lens. That didn't happened overnight, it took 8 years.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:14 PM
red67vert
Pro

Yes, the shield of brackets are still in place.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:37 AM
993AerCooler
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the process of refreshing the rear of my 993 and changing the Mufflers to Gert's RSR's. I've decided to ditch the heat shields and use Titanium Heat Wrap, has anyone done this?

P.S. Anyone interested in buying Fabspeed Mufflers and tips?
Old 02-21-2016, 11:48 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Haven't done the wrap but considered it. I bought new shields from Gert.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:36 PM
993AerCooler
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
Haven't done the wrap but considered it. I bought new shields from Gert.
I considered this too but thought I'd try the wrap. I'll report back.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:09 PM
red67vert
Pro

With all the Fabspeed exhaust going out lately,someone's got to have some Shields laying around.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:50 PM
red67vert
Pro

TTT
Old 03-01-2016, 09:17 AM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by red67vert
Stage II's w/o heat shields, no issues but I don't drive her much either. No idea how much heat the mufflers develop when driving long and hard. I would probably put them on to be safe.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:14 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by Holytin
Stage II's w/o heat shields, no issues but I don't drive her much either. No idea how much heat the mufflers develop when driving long and hard. I would probably put them on to be safe.
In my mind, it is either embarrassment or extremely remiss of FDM not to quantify what a customer is purchasing in the terms of their ceramic coating heat shielding; or simply what amounts to a $200 paint job and a sticker on a set of mufflers.

Hopefully FDM is listening and will quantify their products actual heat shielding properties, as this has been discussed before without a quantifiable response.

Not only is there a multi layered alum heat shielding employed by Porsche in the bumper area, but a multi layered shield (as being sought by the OP) on the muffler as well; so draw your own conclusions.

Me, I'd rather be safe than sorry

I believe the shields to be about $50 ea., from Porsche, so where is the issue? Especially if one can spend double for an intangible of the spray on coating.

Last edited by nine9six; 03-01-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:38 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
In my mind, it is either embarrassment or extremely remiss of FDM not to quantify what a customer is purchasing in the terms of their ceramic coating heat shielding; or simply what amounts to a $200 paint job and a sticker on a set of mufflers.

Hopefully FDM is listening and will quantify their products actual heat shielding properties, as this has been discussed before without a quantifiable response.

Not only is there a multi layered alum heat shielding employed by Porsche in the bumper area, but a multi layered shield (as being sought by the OP) on the muffler as well; so draw your own conclusions.

Me, I'd rather be safe than sorry

I believe the shields to be about $50 ea., from Porsche, so where is the issue? Especially if one can spend double for an intangible of the spray on coating.

No need to be so negative. Plenty of information using Google or any other search engine; Darin is not using something out of this world to ceramic- coat his mufflers. Let's see what other's have to say:

http://www.zircotec.com/index.php

Zircotec's Ceramic Coating

We have developed a range of ultra high performance plasma-sprayed ceramic coatings to protect components from the effects of fire, heat, wear, abrasion and corrosion.

Our ceramic coating is highly effective when used on engine exhaust system components including exhaust manifolds, exhaust headers, cat boxes, turbochargers and tail pipes, helping to protect sensitive components from the effects of heat. As an exhaust coating they reduce underbonnet temperatures, increase engine performance, help solve engine packaging issues, and improve engine compartment safety. Based on our proprietary ThermoHold® formulation, our ceramic coating range can only be applied by Zircotec. A series of patent applications are in progress (with two now granted) to protect our technology. Our coatings have been proven to:
Reduce underbonnet temperatures by up to 50oC (122oF), as independently measured & confirmed by DAMAX Race Engineering;
•Increase engine performance, eg. a 30oC drop in intake air temperature can deliver a 6% increase in power, or can increase engine efficiency leading to less fuel usage;
•Extend the life of vulnerable components and thereby enhance engine reliability.

Or WIKIPEDIA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_barrier_coating

Thermal barrier coatings (TBC) are highly advanced materials systems usually applied to metallic surfaces, such as on gas turbine or aero-engine parts, operating at elevated temperatures, as a form of exhaust heat management. These coatings serve to insulate components from large and prolonged heat loads by utilizing thermally insulating materials which can sustain an appreciable temperature difference between the load-bearing alloys and the coating surface.[1] In doing so, these coatings can allow for higher operating temperatures while limiting the thermal exposure of structural components, extending part life by reducing oxidation and thermal fatigue. In conjunction with active film cooling, TBCs permit working fluid temperatures higher than the melting point of the metal airfoil in some turbine applications.

I'm sure Darin knows what he is talking about, even without any written statement. I still feel comfortable but please do your own due diligence.

Best!
Old 03-01-2016, 10:34 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

A bit higher....$178 for the pair. Got mine from Gert as they were cheaper than sunset with the hardware included. They sure look purdy all nice and new. They'll look like crap in a few weeks.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:51 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by Holytin
No need to be so negative. Plenty of information using Google or any other search engine; Darin is not using something out of this world to ceramic- coat his mufflers. Let's see what other's have to say:

http://www.zircotec.com/index.php

We have developed a range of ultra high performance plasma-sprayed ceramic coatings to protect components from the effects of fire, heat, wear, abrasion and corrosion.

Our ceramic coating is highly effective when used on engine exhaust system components including exhaust manifolds, exhaust headers, cat boxes, turbochargers and tail pipes, helping to protect sensitive components from the effects of heat. As an exhaust coating they reduce underbonnet temperatures, increase engine performance, help solve engine packaging issues, and improve engine compartment safety. Based on our proprietary ThermoHold® formulation, our ceramic coating range can only be applied by Zircotec. A series of patent applications are in progress (with two now granted) to protect our technology. Our coatings have been proven to:
Reduce underbonnet temperatures by up to 50oC (122oF), as independently measured & confirmed by DAMAX Race Engineering;
•Increase engine performance, eg. a 30oC drop in intake air temperature can deliver a 6% increase in power, or can increase engine efficiency leading to less fuel usage;
•Extend the life of vulnerable components and thereby enhance engine reliability.

Or WIKIPEDIA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_barrier_coating

Thermal barrier coatings (TBC) are highly advanced materials systems usually applied to metallic surfaces, such as on gas turbine or aero-engine parts, operating at elevated temperatures, as a form of exhaust heat management. These coatings serve to insulate components from large and prolonged heat loads by utilizing thermally insulating materials which can sustain an appreciable temperature difference between the load-bearing alloys and the coating surface.[1] In doing so, these coatings can allow for higher operating temperatures while limiting the thermal exposure of structural components, extending part life by reducing oxidation and thermal fatigue. In conjunction with active film cooling, TBCs permit working fluid temperatures higher than the melting point of the metal airfoil in some turbine applications.

I'm sure Darin knows what he is talking about, even without any written statement. I still feel comfortable but please do your own due diligence.

Best!
I am well aware of what ceramic coatings are...I spent 25 yrs auditing engineering processes and procedures on behalf of the DoD and NASA, in acquisition of aircraft, aerospace, and communications systems.

Furthermore, not all ceramic coatings are created equally, and effectiveness is largely dependent upon the proper prep and following the mfg proceedure for application and curing.

...but thank you for your post...Again, I was looking for FDM to quantify the product they sell.

Is this the ceramic coating product FDM uses, or are you quoting one product's sales literature?

Quick Reply: Heat Shields NB WTB