993 Forum 1995-1998

Interior lights...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:39 PM
TJsBeer
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Interior lights...

So, my interior lights on my '95 993 will only come on if the door is unlocked with the key or when the frunk is open. But, not when I just open the door. Any thoughts on what may cause this? I've been told it "could" be the alarm module. But, that's an expensive part to guess on and woul like some further confirmation or thoughts.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:13 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

This may seem obvious, but did you check the door switches (in the door jams) are working properly?
Old 02-16-2016, 01:47 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
This may seem obvious, but did you check the door switches (in the door jams) are working properly?
I suggest the same...watch the interior lights while toggling the door switch.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:18 AM
TJsBeer
Pro

I did check the door switches. The switches on either side whether in or out don't change the status of the interior lights....
i.e.
Trunk open/doors closed = interior lights on
Trunk open/doors open = interior lights on
Trunk closed/doors closed = interior lights off
Trunk closed/doors open = interior lights off

Unlock the doors with the key interior lights go on for a limited time (seems like it's about 30 seconds) regardless if the doors are open or closed.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:29 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TJsBeer
I did check the door switches. The switches on either side whether in or out don't change the status of the interior lights....
That's odd. When I open the drivers door on mine, the interior lights turn on. I can then push the door jamb switch in and the lights go off.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:56 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

TJsBeer, from your description it doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with your car.

There is a section in the factory repair manual called Time-delay circuit of the interior lights. In that section it says,
"The interior lights are no longer controlled directly via the door contacts. The interior lights are switched on:
1. By unlocking the doors.
2. By locking the doors.
The lights continue to be lit for approx. 20 seconds.
The interior lights are switched off (doors closed):
1. When the ignition switch is turned on.
2. When the door is locked."

The front luggage compartment light is controlled with the "inside lights" by the alarm system control unit. It would make sense that the front trunk latch switch would turn on the "inside lights" too.

I posted a partial schematic sketch in this thread.

Last edited by hoggel; 02-16-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:12 PM
TJsBeer
Pro

Ha! When in doubt I should have just read the manual.
Seems strange though that the lights wouldn't come on when I open the door, but just when I unlock it... quirky little cars we have.
Thanks for the insight.
Cheers.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:34 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 95 interior lights come on when I open the door. You know the lights are 3 position rockers, right? I have one switch (passenger side) that is a little flaky and occasionally does not work. Take one out, clean and reinstall and see if it still acts the same. Also on my 95, if I use the key in the door all the hounds of hell are unleashed and Valkyries descend from the sky.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:03 PM
TJsBeer
Pro

Originally Posted by bart1
You know the lights are 3 position rockers, right?
I do.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:51 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel
TJsBeer, from your description it doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with your car.

There is a section in the factory repair manual called Time-delay circuit of the interior lights. In that section it says,
"The interior lights are no longer controlled directly via the door contacts. The interior lights are switched on:
1. By unlocking the doors.
2. By locking the doors.
The lights continue to be lit for approx. 20 seconds.
The interior lights are switched off (doors closed):
1. When the ignition switch is turned on.
2. When the door is locked."

The front luggage compartment light is controlled with the "inside lights" by the alarm system control unit. It would make sense that the front trunk latch switch would turn on the "inside lights" too.

I posted a partial schematic sketch in this thread.
I just went through some interior lights issues with hoggel's help! but indeed the door switch should turn on the lights with opening, as that's what my 993 does now, and others above note too.

it would be unlikely that both door switches have gone bad, so test both doors. if both do not turn on the light, then you ought to check the wiring on the alarm control module, specifically the door switch ground at connector II, pin 21. with fob and delay timeout relay apparently working, then it isn't likely going to be your acm at fault, fortunately.

if only one door works properly, then it is the door switch that's gone bad, pretty cheap to replace.

please let us know what you find.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:58 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

TJ,

A side question, maybe pertinent. Why are you using the key to unlock the doors? Is the remote not working?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:59 AM
TJsBeer
Pro

Originally Posted by techman1
TJ,

A side question, maybe pertinent. Why are you using the key to unlock the doors? Is the remote not working?
Mine doesn't have a remote.
Don't know if it never did or if it got lost or broken.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:04 PM
TJsBeer
Pro

Originally Posted by oldman40
I just went through some interior lights issues with hoggel's help! but indeed the door switch should turn on the lights with opening, as that's what my 993 does now, and others above note too.

it would be unlikely that both door switches have gone bad, so test both doors. if both do not turn on the light, then you ought to check the wiring on the alarm control module, specifically the door switch ground at connector II, pin 21. with fob and delay timeout relay apparently working, then it isn't likely going to be your acm at fault, fortunately.

if only one door works properly, then it is the door switch that's gone bad, pretty cheap to replace.

please let us know what you find.
Tested both door switches this morning. Neither seems to do effect anything either on or off no matter what position the lights themselves are in.
It's the only thing not working on the car, so it's kind of bothersome when all else is perfect.
But, eletrical is not my forte, so I'll be living with it for now.
Thanks for all the help guys.
Cheers,
TJsBeer
Old 02-17-2016, 12:47 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TJsBeer
Tested both door switches this morning. Neither seems to do effect anything either on or off no matter what position the lights themselves are in.
It's the only thing not working on the car, so it's kind of bothersome when all else is perfect.
But, eletrical is not my forte, so I'll be living with it for now.
Thanks for all the help guys.
Cheers,
TJsBeer
You really should try a basic clean and remount like this:

http://www.lamboweb.com/Repairs_Sect...t_Switches.htm

Fixed mine when I had an issue once.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:21 PM
silvewrc2s
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah I am having a problem with the lights never turning off. Have to work on the switches.

Quick Reply: Interior lights...