Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

I might be buying my first Porsche can dreams really come true? Feedback appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 09:15 PM
rg0115
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default I might be buying my first Porsche can dreams really come true? Feedback appreciated

I remember back in 1994-95 when I saw my first Porsche 993 brochure, I was blown away by the new generation 911s and the performance stats it came with. Back then, the 993 turbo was the fast production car in the world. I grew up drooling over it and I remember going to the dealership and falling in love with the car when I saw it in person. Back then I was only 17 and had just moved from Germany to Louisville Kentucky. I told myself, one day I will own one. Well maybe the time has come.

For about 2 years I have been looking for a 993S that is in my reach financially. But with current prices that dream seems to be slipping away. I had to change my approach so I had to get off my high horse and start looking at either older models or the standard Carrera 2. Well, I found one that has all the right check boxes for me accept of course the big S wide body. But life is all about compromises and this one looks clean.
  • Black on Black
  • Cup wheels
  • Upgraded suspension
  • Not overly high miles
  • And of course it has g
ood service history. So I am being told.

The car I am looking at is the following. I put a deposit down and am working on PPI inspection. The dealer selling the car is called Inter Sport Performance out of VA close to DC. I see mixed reviews online about their service but again, that is all relative. The car supposedly has been maintained at this location for about 10 years and the previous owner had bought it there and sold it back to them again.

http://www.intersportsales.com/1996-...9/Details.aspx

I am no expert but I think the price is fair, there are cheaper ones out there, but they don’t always have the color combo I like, have too many miles or are tiptronic cars or cabs. I spoke to the dealership and they say the car is actually a 3 owner car even though carfax shows 6. I guess some of the owners were dealers who had them registered. Not sure what to make of that. To me at this point not so important. I want to drive the car and not just look at in my garage and sell for a quick buck down the road.

I bought the book “The Used 911 Story 8th Edition” and will use the recommendation within when doing my own inspection. But I would love to hear some advise on what to look out for and if you think I am over paying. Maybe someone on this forum knows the car and can share some insight. Wish me luck. I am getting super excited, but also don't want to make a big mistake. This is a big commitment financially

Thanks
Robert
Old 01-20-2016, 09:31 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Looks like a nice car and seems fairly priced if ppi checks out. Has a few upgrades that the ad didn't mention and The wheels are turbo twists and not cups. Just make sure PPI is complete - meter the paint, has top end been rebuilt? Is the original rear deck/spoiler available?

Good luck!
Old 01-20-2016, 09:34 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 379 Likes on 237 Posts

The ad says it has Continental "DWS" tires which are snow tires. Might be good for the impending storm...

/
Old 01-20-2016, 09:40 PM
rg0115
Rennlist Member

No original deck lid and I ask about top end rebuild. They said it wasn't needed yet. Not even sure I know what's involved. Is it pricey, can it be done without special tools?
Old 01-20-2016, 09:54 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice! I like the carbon shift **** and e-brake.

Originally Posted by fatmike
The ad says it has Continental "DWS" tires which are snow tires. Might be good for the impending storm...

/
Conti DWS is the all-season version. You'd be better off with the DW (summer only) tire, but it's not the end of the world.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:30 PM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like it. And nice intro too. It is good to remember how we felt back when the car came out. Had my license for a couple of years and a 1981 golf GTI when i saw a 993 tailing me on the back roads of brittany in France... Didn't take long for the driver to pass me to reveal a split grille... It was an S... A rare sight where I grew up. I remember screaming with excitement in my car, alone.
I hope you can ****** this car. Looks realy good with nice options. Those twist look good in my opinion. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2016, 10:56 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

Ahh the excitement of the chase.

Read the service history and see what has been done. A 20yr old car needs many refreshments which can add up. How regular mile interval was oil changed?

Bottom line, these cars are solid, hand built machines and love to drive so as long as it hasn't been mashed or crashed its probably a good candidate. Would offer a ride in mine if you were a little closer for comparison.

Go for it. it will give you joy every day.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:04 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

$59k is top $$$ for 96 C2 coupe. Pretty much everything should check out for that kind of money. Make sure to pay for a thorough PPI. Best of luck and don't let your emotions get in the way.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:07 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Very nice car but does seemed to be priced kind of high with the miles and mods.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:16 PM
BetaSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

I will echo the previous posts, a good PPI is invaluable! Paint meter everything, get compression and leakdown results on paper, check front and rear windshields, as well as inside the headlight buckets for ANY signs of rust, and for that price, it better have really good maintenance records... As for a top end, I wouldn't even worry about it unless the shop gives you bad numbers, then it's time to keep on looking... Mine currently has 93k on it, and with yearly Mobil V Twin oil changes the leak down is less than 3%. Best of luck!!!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:17 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Looks like a well kept car. GL
Old 01-21-2016, 01:05 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rg0115
No original deck lid and I ask about top end rebuild. They said it wasn't needed yet. Not even sure I know what's involved. Is it pricey, can it be done without special tools?
I'll leave it to others to talk cosmetic specifics, but what I can say is that this mileage IS the wheelhouse for go/no go on secondary air injection/valve guide/emissions test passing problems (my 4S included when it was 5 years old @ 70K). Others have gone 2-3-4X the miles.

A competent repair at retail is significant; but on the other hand you can do it in your garage, only subletting the actual machine shop work.

To me, it raises a red flag that you got a blanket "it's not needed yet."
Old 01-21-2016, 01:49 AM
rg0115
Rennlist Member

The seller suggested taking it to the following Porsche dealer http://www.porscheoftysons.com/ I setup an inspection, but I am somewhat concerned how deep they go. The car had been serviced there before, so that is a good thing. But my fear is that they'd won't take the extra time. They only quoted me around 150 for the inspection. Seem light for in-depth research. I'll give them a call to see if they do a compression and leak test and what all is involved.

If not, does anyone know of a good place around the Washington DC area? Th weather is also playing a factor. I was going to drive the car back to Louisville Kentucky but if the roads are snowy and salty that's obviously something I wouldn't want to do. As of this time, it looks like this won't happen until mid next week. Might rent a car trailer and pull it.

I guess I have some more homework to do. I'll put a list together of items to check based on my great book "the used Porsche story" and share with the group. Would be great to see if I will cover it all. Stay tuned. More to come. And thanks for everyone's support and advise, gonna love this forum.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:28 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Chapman Auto Werks is about 20 minutes drive from Intersport. Taylor is a highly regarded air cooled guy.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:29 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snap it up, looks fine. They are getting harder to find so don't let this one get away.
PS. Can't believe how the 1988/1991 BMW E30 M3 price is going up so much!

Quick Reply: I might be buying my first Porsche can dreams really come true? Feedback appreciated