Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

delrin front control arm bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 04:59 PM
6cyclone6
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default delrin front control arm bushings?

Hi guys, I am new to the 993 world. I have a pretty handy background with domestics, and other German makes, as well as experience with newer P cars (mostly 996+). I purchased my first p car early last year, and have just started to work it up a bit. I have lurked here for a long time, and posted very little.

Is there a reason to not run delrin front lca bushings? I understand the increase in NVH, but other than that is there some reason to shy away? I have always made my own custom aluminum or delrin bushings in the past. I see everyone running walrod or elephant bushings even on dedicated track cars. Am I missing something? Will the front arm bind with a very hard bushing? Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.

** forgot to include it is a 6speed c2 with some miles and almost no options perfect car to be enjoyed**

Last edited by 6cyclone6; 12-30-2015 at 08:51 PM. Reason: mor einfo
Old 12-30-2015, 05:43 PM
6cyclone6
Intermediate

Default pictures

I figured I should upload a couple pics. The pic with the cup 2's is when I first took it home after a buff. The second is after the turbo twist wheels and H&R springs, but prior to ride height, corner balance and alignment.
Attached Images   
Old 12-30-2015, 07:06 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

nice car! welcome to the world of 993. do a search on this forum under Walrod Bushings. they are the bushing of choice for many folks on a street car although there are other options.... FD Motorsports sells them and is a superb bunch of folks to deal with.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:49 PM
6cyclone6
Intermediate

Thanks Stace!
I am aware there are ready to go bushings from the usual suspects. For some dumb reason, I enjoy making stuff. I have a lathe, mill and two different welders crammed in my garage. I know some arms (rear multilink for instance) do not travel in a manner where a solid bushing would work without bind. I guess what I am looking for is to compliment the monoball links I plan to install in the rear. The fronts look to me like they would work just fine, but I ask myself if that is the case why is nobody else doing it? I like the feel of hard bushings in my cars, and even made some for my Mercedes (w210) E class once upon a time.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:43 PM
Boober
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have thought about that as well. Might be worth contacting Elephant or others to see what's best material for your intended use. I know vast majority of folks here don't wish to deal with the unpleasantness that comes with solid or delrin bushings given the majority are street driven with occasional track.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:30 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, if you have the means to mill your own, go for it. I'd love to be able to make all my own stuff. The delrin would be fine if it last. If not, just make another set. Use the stock hats, grease em up and go!
"NVH", what is that, no such thing, unless your dental fillings are loose.
Also: love the "Rat fink" tool chest.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:04 AM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Nice car, what wheels are those? 996 narrow body twists?
Old 12-31-2015, 11:20 AM
6cyclone6
Intermediate

Thanks all for the compliments. Typically I am a miser, which is why I never thought I would own an aircooled car. I just could not justify the expense for a 3rd (driver anyway) car. I got into this one right, and was impusive... never been happier with an irresponsible decision!

Overboost,
I love the silly toolbox. I grew up with hot rods and Rat Fink. When Matco offered a Rat Fink box I had to go for it. I was still a Pro wrench back then.

Unique,
They are 8" and 10" and aftermarket replicas. I think they are Milli Miglia? they say made in Italy on the back of the spokes. I picked them up for next to nothing, never bolted to a car with new tires right after I bought the car. They look good but are heavy. I do not remember the offset, but I verified they would fit (thanks rennlist!) prior to picking them up.I currently have the cup 2's back on it painted black. I want to get rid of both sets of wheels and get something lightweight and 18". I really love the MY02's and was one day late picking up a nice $500 craigslist set locally!

Quick Reply: delrin front control arm bushings?