Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

1989 930 turbo vs 993

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 01:18 AM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am only interested in a 1989 because they have a G50 transmission. I am not looking for a garage queen either. I plan to drive the car so I am not afraid higher millege cars.

I am not intrested in purchasing a car from a dealer, I would prefer a Pvt. Party because I want to meet the original owner.

I wish I would have bought one years ago, I could have saved some cash.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:32 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by windydog
I am only interested in a 1989 because they have a G50 transmission. I am not looking for a garage queen either. I plan to drive the car so I am not afraid higher millege cars.

I am not intrested in purchasing a car from a dealer, I would prefer a Pvt. Party because I want to meet the original owner.

I wish I would have bought one years ago, I could have saved some cash.
Lol, those final parting words could be applied to lots of previous Porsche iterations

Now all thats left is your due dilligence, trolling the usual places... Autotrader, fleabay, craigslist, pelican, rennlist, pca...

Higher mile turbos that are not, or have not been well maintained, are usually stressed significantly more than the NA counterparts. Thats one of the positives of the M491 cars, sans the HP.

p.s. buying pvt party does not assure meeting the original owner; just the last owner.

GLWS - Good Luck With the Search!
Old 12-11-2015, 09:50 AM
Kaefer
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

My $0.02 based on my 2 hot rods - an '87 930 and a '88 Carrera cab with a '97 Varioram engine. Both are very funs cars in different ways.

The 930 has less torque than the '88 3.6 from idle to about 2500 RPM. From there boost kicks in and the 930 feels to have 50-100hp over the Varioram 3.6. Both cars have similar gearing in the first 4 gears.

In normal driving the '88 3.6 is a peppier and generally easier car to drive. The torque advantage between idle-2500 is fun and of course the 3.6 is no slacker on the top end either.

Good times...

Old 12-11-2015, 01:43 PM
Gt3stig
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
I'd take a red 930 w black stone guards and Fuchs, everyday over my 993.

Totally agree!
Old 12-11-2015, 02:00 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Second paragraph I get. First one? Really? Most benign of all my track cars, and the one I preferred in the wet, was a hack '77-into-930 I built for my then girlfriend in the early '90s, and bought back.

A stock cam/compression/turbo/ROW exhaust 3.3 is about as easy a throttle roll on as you can get in a torsion bar chassis (3.6L transplants included), absent something like a 2.0T. Do you need to know how to drive the car? Yeah. But if you know your braking points, turn in, and throttle on, no big deal.
That's why I'm asking. I've never driven one, and am merely parroting the conventional wisdom I've heard over and over for many years.

Interesting data point. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:58 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

930s look cool as hell.

thats about it.

They are not very enjoyable to drive. Something best left to looking at and daydreaming about the good old days when men were men type crap.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:35 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by callipygian 911

That's why I'm asking. I've never driven one, and am merely parroting the conventional wisdom I've heard over and over for many years.

Interesting data point. Thanks for sharing.
I just wish I had every variant so I could throw keys out to whoever wanted to know what's what. I am SO glad I got to work on, drive, and track sample (most often not one of my own) really every air cooled from a 2.0 SWB through the 993 Turbo.

The most minimal time behind the wheel would dispel the press bull****. (Sadly, it's getting worse by the day.)
Old 12-12-2015, 01:54 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
930s look cool as hell.

thats about it.

They are not very enjoyable to drive. Something best left to looking at and daydreaming about the good old days when men were men type crap.
Spot on.

Great to look at, but the criminally bad throttle response (like GM diesels from the 80's bad), poor handling (tons of initial understeer) and slow steering.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:10 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

A local guy added one to his 993tt and seems to really like it. I think what Ken is saying is true but you have to be a driver to enjoy that car or you will end up in a ditch in short order. They also have no abs, so there is another opportunity to end up in trouble and seemingly they lock up faster than a 993 na brakes do. Of course the 993 has abs to bail you out at that point.

Then there was the rl-er who showed up a couple years ago who bought like 30 new Porsches, anyone remember him? Every year on his birthday off to the Porsche dealership and buy a brand new Porsche. What a life. I seem to remember out of all of them the 930 was right up there in his favorites. My first ride in a Porsche was in a 930 when they were still new. The driver did a 0-90 for me. I wanted one of those cars for so long after that.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:54 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JM993
Spot on.

Great to look at, but the criminally bad throttle response (like GM diesels from the 80's bad), poor handling (tons of initial understeer) and slow steering.
Oh yeah. Driving a 930 is a serious experience. The suspension is antiquated and harsh. Steering and brakes are heavy. The pre-g50 gear box is vague at best. Managing that boost is a challenge.

Imagine you coming into a corner a bit too hot...
back off the throttle a bit and the boost is gone...
the tail is getting nervous and you realize you need gas to stabilize it....
but off boost, the engine is a slug and won't provide the weight transfer....
you pray and steer for your life....
boost then come on in a rush and you are steering and praying for your life again.

It's a very manly car no doubt about it.

In black and a nice set of wheels, it is a car fitting for Darth Vader himself. I would love to have one!
Old 12-13-2015, 09:56 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
Oh yeah. Driving a 930 is a serious experience. The suspension is antiquated and harsh. Steering and brakes are heavy. The pre-g50 gear box is vague at best. Managing that boost is a challenge.

Imagine you coming into a corner a bit too hot...
back off the throttle a bit and the boost is gone...
the tail is getting nervous and you realize you need gas to stabilize it....
but off boost, the engine is a slug and won't provide the weight transfer....
you pray and steer for your life....
boost then come on in a rush and you are steering and praying for your life again.

It's a very manly car no doubt about it.

In black and a nice set of wheels, it is a car fitting for Darth Vader himself. I would love to have one!
How prepped was your car? I never got behind the wheel of any of the factory new 3.0 and early US 3.3s (lots of 5-15 year old ones, which had mostly been screwed with by then).

Bottom line is that a stock 930 is not roll stiff enough in the back, because the factory wanted the car to understeer on-throttle.

But as I said above, it's not that big of a deal if you've got half a brain. My customer base buying the reintroduced '86 was everything from early 20's guys like me to a couple of women who drove them daily--one snowbird who put 30K on hers in the first year. Only unhappy guys were those who were budget limited, yet chasing speed on track.

Quick Reply: 1989 930 turbo vs 993