Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Garage space heater? Help identifying most effective one.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyp
These are surprisingly good with the fan attachment for small spaces:

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH18...8912331&sr=8-1

Also great for camping or tailgating. Runs off of 2 camping propane bottles.

Propane produces extremely small quantities of carbon monoxide when burned properly but I would never run a heater indoors without a good CO detector.

http://www.propane101.com/carbonmonoxideandpropane.htm

In any case, first figure out how many BTUs or Watts you need to heat up your space.
http://www.calculator.net/btu-calculator.html
Some helpful links here, thanks for posting these. According to the BTU calculator my 24x24x11 garage needs about 50,000 BTU. The Mr. Heater seems a bit underpowered with only 5,000 to 9,000 BTU. The Coleman has 45,000 BTU. It also has several product liability suits now pending, so thank you for the reminder on carbon monoxide. I'm going out and buying a new detector.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:43 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
Some helpful links here, thanks for posting these. According to the BTU calculator my 24x24x11 garage needs about 50,000 BTU. The Mr. Heater seems a bit underpowered with only 5,000 to 9,000 BTU. The Coleman has 45,000 BTU. It also has several product liability suits now pending, so thank you for the reminder on carbon monoxide. I'm going out and buying a new detector.
Thats really weird.
I posted a link to amazon with the 18,000 btu heater. Your link gets converted to a link at sportsmansguide.com. Internet Brands doing something or time warner cable?

BTW it is 18,000btu at full blast with 2 1lb bottles of propane.

Amazon says "Not to be sold to California or Mass". Wonder why?

Nice sized garage Foxman.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:52 PM
Toddster
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you know if there is any insulation in the walls and ceiling?
It is not uncommon for this to be absent in a garage with no heat?
Make sure this is addressed or what ever you install will be EXTREMELY expensive to run. Have you looked at the Modine Hot Dawg heaters?
Not sure if they run off LP but that would be ideal
Old 12-01-2015, 12:49 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

The OP being in northern NJ probably will not experience what I do at elevation in central MA where we get sub freezing temps for weeks on end. Since he is inquiring about "space" heaters, I'm guessing he does not want to keep the garage at a constant 65 degree temp, but wants to warm it up on occasion.

What Quad says is true, an electric unit will not cut the mustard.

Years back I installed a ceiling mounted high wattage 220 volt electric unit. I've found that when 45 degrees or higher, it works fine all by itself (24'x32' three car, insulated) but does require a half hour warm up to make it comfy. For an eight hour run cycle it costs approx around $8/ day to operate.

Below 45 degrees, the electric unit never seems to catch up and is a waste.

A couple of years ago I purchased a propane "rocket". It works extremely well. I've found even when it is 15 degrees outside that running it for a half hour will bring the temps inside up to approx 80 degrees. So I have three 20lb gas grill bottles which I can switch out when needed. My detailer is Brazilian, and he likes it hot, says the wax flows better. Last January we had it 83 degrees in there when it was 9 outside.

With the rocket, once it brings the garage up to temp, the electric unit maintains the temp for the most part and I really need to only run the rocket two or three times in an 8 hour period.

My wife will pull her DD into the garage loaded w/ ice and snow and the rocket turns that into water fast.

The electric unit has a thermostat, so if I chose to do so, I could run it and maintain an ambient 50 degree temp if desired. I have done that in the past, but find that because the rocket works so well, I turn the electric off. For me that is cost effective.

I designed and built this custom home almost 30 years ago. If I was to do it again, radiant flooring and a heat pump would be my choice.

Regards,

Old 12-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Thank you I am intrigued by this Mitsubishi product. I think I have seen these around, but I didn't realize they were a (new?) ductless technology. There are a few rooms in my home that aren't quite where they need to be with my central air so I would like to see if they will help.
http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/pro...l-mount-deluxe

Does anyone have experience with this European product, Runtal electric baseboard. The aesthetics are great, but it has a price to match and don't know anything about their effectiveness.

http://runtalnorthamerica.com/cartpa...baseboard.html

Thank you
Old 12-01-2015, 09:44 AM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

I've been running one of these in a 3 car garage in Southern Ohio for several years, knocks down the cold nicely.

Amazon.com - Dura Heat, DH2304, Convection Kerosene Heater, Portable, Indoor - Space Heaters Amazon.com - Dura Heat, DH2304, Convection Kerosene Heater, Portable, Indoor - Space Heaters

I crack the windows about an inch and use an additive in the fuel to minimize any smell. It also proved a lifesaver a couple of times when the furnace went on the fritz, used it in the main floor of the house, worked great.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:47 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paolo1
Thank you I am intrigued by this Mitsubishi product. I think I have seen these around, but I didn't realize they were a (new?) ductless technology.
http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/pro...l-mount-deluxe
Not new technology, although they keep improving it. For example, I can run up to 4 units off my one one outdoor heat pump. And the variable speed compressors are more efficient at maintaining a temperature than a traditional compressor.

These have been popular in Europe for a while because they often don't have ducts in their residential buildings, and because these are so much more energy efficient than a ducted system (which lose 25-40% of their heat/cooling en-route to the room).

The main downside is the size of the interior wall mounted unit. Not as elegant as a hidden duct outlet, but probably not an issue for a garage
Old 12-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

_snowbird_ and all. Thank you.

I could be better insulated and sealed up for sure. I'd hate to be spitting into the wind on this project.

As I research the mitsubishi split technology, I see a drawback in running the tube to the outdoor condenser. I can do without the cooling aspect, so I wonder if just the heating aspect is available.

I sure hope some of our Scandinavian friends join in the discussion eager to hear what they do.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:36 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I'm probably going to go with a ductless AC system with a heat pump, along with closed cell spray foam in the roof joists and wall studs.
Originally Posted by AOW162435
This is the route I took a few years ago (Mitsubishi mini split) - zero regrets.
Andreas
+3
year round comfort. delivered straight to your door for less than 2k.
you can self install if you carve out a full day. but you will need to insulate, seal, and circulate the air (ceiling fan). you also need someone who knows how to put a flare on a copper pipe but not too big a deal.

or you can just enjoy heat and get high on fumes with quadcammer

just run 4 conductor power to the condenser outside, attach the lines and you're in business.

Name:  84fbcfc9-ea88-4cac-b916-db4d36233ff9.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  140.8 KB

Name:  8d4375ec-08dd-4e85-807a-c4f591805e64.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  4fd272d5-92d3-4852-9efa-a1c793cde8dd.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  124.5 KB

Last edited by EMBPilot; 12-01-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:04 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paolo1

As I research the mitsubishi split technology, I see a drawback in running the tube to the outdoor condenser. I can do without the cooling aspect, so I wonder if just the heating aspect is available.
As you can see in EMBPilot's photo, it's actually quite easy to run those lines through the wall. He placed his outdoor unit directly on the other side of the wall (a very short run). Or you can have quite a long run of tubing (running inside or outside the building), depending on where you want to place the indoor and outdoor units. A trained installer will make short work of a garage install I'm sure.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:44 PM
ThunderRolls
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts

I've been looking at this too. Practically speaking, I don't feel the need to heat the entire garage to work on my home projects, just get enough heat around the car to make it comfortable. I have been doing it this for a long time, and if I focus a portable 20k BTU around the car, I'm plenty comfortable. Besides, we don't have severe or prolonged winter temps.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:30 PM
paul29
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a 28x42x12, use a NG 45K Hot Dawg which is also available in propane. it will easily warm area enough to wash cars in -20 outside temps and the fan driven down draft dries the floor so it is not icy when garage goes back to ambient. Has operated as needed for ten years with no repairs.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:54 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Funny, I would have not given a flying F about this a year ago. Got 15" of snow in the new digs last Tues. High was 13F for 4 days, -4 to 0F lows. If I don't open my garage door, I'm easily in the high 50's in the garage. I open the door to smoke my weekend cigars, and everything gets cold quickly. If I stopped the cigars, I'm fine with nothing more than a quartz space heater.
Attached Images   
Old 12-03-2015, 03:20 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by paul29
Have a 28x42x12, use a NG 45K Hot Dawg which is also available in propane. it will easily warm area enough to wash cars in -20 outside temps and the fan driven down draft dries the floor so it is not icy when garage goes back to ambient. Has operated as needed for ten years with no repairs.
That vented 45BTU Modine Hot Dawg looks great. I've got a propane tank at the house for cooking and will look into adding a line into the garage. Naturally the propane tank is at the opposite corner of the house. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:36 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by coreseller
I've been running one of these in a 3 car garage in Southern Ohio for several years, knocks down the cold nicely.

Amazon.com - Dura Heat, DH2304, Convection Kerosene Heater, Portable, Indoor - Space Heaters

I crack the windows about an inch and use an additive in the fuel to minimize any smell. It also proved a lifesaver a couple of times when the furnace went on the fritz, used it in the main floor of the house, worked great.
I had one of these in my garage growing up in NJ. I remember keeping the garage almost 70 degrees in the winter while rebuilding my 340 Duster. I've been considering the same again, but finding Kerosene isn't that easy in some places.

Quick Reply: Garage space heater? Help identifying most effective one.