Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Garage pics!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 05:53 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Matt, that looks great. What a transformation. Mine definitely looks like the before pic, including the cheapo shelves What do you do with all the stuff though????
Old 09-17-2016, 09:07 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
Matt, that looks great. What a transformation. Mine definitely looks like the before pic, including the cheapo shelves What do you do with all the stuff though????
Thanks JB! All our "stuff" was split about equally between a 10yd dumpster and a new 8'x12' shed in the backyard. The cheapo shelves fit perfectly in the new shed and provided plenty of room to hold more stuff.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:11 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

I am looking to maximize the space in my small garage. I have the ceiling height to install a 4-post lift, but in order to do this I need to rework my garage door. In order to maximize my ceiling height (especially since my garage isn't deep), I want to replace my garage door with either swing out garage doors (two panel or bi-fold), or go with a rollup door (the type you see at warehouses). Curious to know if anyone has done this and if they could share photos of the style doors they went with. Even better, if you live in SoCal and could pass the name of your contractor it would help me out. I have been looking on the web and see some interesting door designs, but I am curious to hear feedback/experiences so that I can learn from your project.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:53 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 491 Likes on 364 Posts

myflat6,

I simply raised the tracks of my existing garage door. They can get very close to your ceiling and only take up about 3" of clearance. You'll also note that when you bring the door flush to the ceiling it won't go as deep into the garage. In a deeper garage the door wouldn't even come into play. I swapped the lights out for low profile LED lights and installed six LED's and six new outlets.

Good luck with the project, it's worth the time and expense.

Jim

Old 11-04-2016, 04:21 PM
myflat6
Drifting

thanks, Jim. That pic helps me see the extra room created by lifting the door. How did you go about lifting the door? Is it as simple as purchasing modified/altering the track?
Old 11-04-2016, 05:02 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 491 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by myflat6
thanks, Jim. That pic helps me see the extra room created by lifting the door. How did you go about lifting the door? Is it as simple as purchasing modified/altering the track?
Yes Bill, I had a garage door company come out and measure for the new tracks which they then had built to spec. The new tracks will run from floor to ceiling if you do it right. In addition to new tracks, you'll probably need new wall-mounted door openers to free up the space. It takes a couple of weeks from start to finish (ordering parts, the install takes a day), and won't take too big a bite out of your wallet. The new garage door openers are mounted on the wall by the doors near the ceiling, and they're whisper quiet. You'll want electrical outlets up near each corner by the openers, so make a complete list for your electrician.

It's also a good time to think about the wiring switches for the door openers. I kept the existing wiring that runs next to the door that leads into into the house - but those wires ran into the ceiling in the center of the garage. The install guys will want to just wire the new switches right next to the garage door, but they serve little purpose there. better to simply fish the existing wires in the ceiling and run them farther down to the garage doors where the new wall mounted units will be. This made the wife much happier retaining the switches by the door to the house. Happy wife, happy life!

Last edited by Foxman; 11-04-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:05 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 to what foxman said. You can get existing door to inches of the ceiling. You'll need a side opener. worth it for space gained.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:42 PM
myflat6
Drifting

sounds great - I will look into this option as well. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:45 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did exactly what Foxman suggested in my small garage - I raised the garage
door tracks and swapped out my garage door opener for a side mounted model. The gave me sufficient height for a 4-post storage lift. I can take some photos if that would be useful.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:22 AM
993_540
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Gents and Ladies,

I haven't posted an intro thread yet, but thought I would throw up a garage pic.

1995 C2, bought earlier this year. Installed the Bendpak ST9 a month ago, absolutely love it! Stuck in Narita, waiting for my flight home. Saw a light green 80s 911 while killing time today(SC?) on the road in Tokyo.

Will do a full introduction soon!

dave

Old 11-06-2016, 02:22 AM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 993_540
Gents and Ladies,

I haven't posted an intro thread yet, but thought I would throw up a garage pic.

1995 C2, bought earlier this year. Installed the Bendpak ST9 a month ago, absolutely love it! Stuck in Narita, waiting for my flight home. Saw a light green 80s 911 while killing time today(SC?) on the road in Tokyo.

Will do a full introduction soon!

dave
Nice lineup!
Old 11-07-2016, 08:18 PM
993KHTO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW I just did a similar change. Here are a couple pictures of my garage doors after the change. In addition, I highly recommend the following hinges as they make your garage door extremely quiet when it opens/closes. They are great. Makes a huge difference if your garage is connected to your home--especially if there is a bedroom near the garage:
http://www.greenhingeofamerica.com/I...e_2_Right.html
Attached Images    
Old 11-21-2016, 08:50 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Thanks again to those who responded to my earlier questions about the garage door adjustments. I finally got a lift in my garage. I was surprised how hard it was to get a garage door company that was either knowledgeable enough to do the high-rise conversion or willing to. Most had no idea what I was talking about nor how to do it. Most of these guys seem to focus on the simple swap out jobs and not custom jobs like this. 2 places I called said they no longer did this because they made more money doing the quicker jobs. Anyway, I found a great guy who really knew his stuff come do the job. Even though this was something he does frequently, it still took 4 hours. He was able to get the door as close to the cieling as possible - even sloping the door up towards the cieling to the point it almost touches it when fully opened. I had very little extra space to work with, so this was important. Here are a few photos, but the lighting stinks because I had to take the lights down for this job. I need to get new lighting next.
​​​​​​​

Old 11-21-2016, 09:01 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^ that's awesome! How high is your ceiling? About the only thing from keeping me from buying another car is garage space. if only I could make it work....
Old 11-21-2016, 09:20 PM
myflat6
Drifting

My garage is 113" tall. Barely enough to work

Quick Reply: Garage pics!