An offer for Kinesis wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 07:00 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
...BBS here I come....
Now that Bush and Schröder are friends again you can buy german products (BBS) without feeling guilty.
BTW why didn't you consider BBS in the first place? I always thought that they were very well established in different championship series (F1...).
Old 09-23-2003, 09:24 PM
YellowC4S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the K28's on my Audi and all I can say is they are a real PITA to clean
Old 09-23-2003, 09:34 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I have not had any problems with my Kinesis but I guess it could happen at any point. Friend of mine who owns Forgeline wheels says that a wheel should not be used for track use for more than 5 years. It is not worth the risk of a broken center.

I had a BBS wheel break also, so they are not immune either. Best insurance is to pay close attention and look for small cracks.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:07 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

Bizarre story...Kinesis (Peter Stacy et al) actively support racing. I have found the most wheel damage I ever receive is at the tire changing shop, or when a wheel tips over and does a face plant. Porsche wheels just do react well to a face plant.

Kinesis is an active sponsor with Porsche Owners Club. I'd advise you re-post your story on their web site:

http://www.porscheownersclub.org/mbo...egory-view.asp

Maybe you can cause a little Sh*% storm and get Peter to reconsider...call Peter Stacy directly, maybe??? Good luck with the project.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:04 PM
Alan Baylis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Martin,

I don't understand what is going on here. Many people are giving advice based on very few facts. We offered a reasonable price to replace a part that is out of warranty, not the original owner, raced by the original owner. There is no wheel company that I am aware of that warrants wheels that are used with race tires. Things happen in racing, off track excursions, a "little" wall contact.
This customer was also offered a wholesale price on the rim parts to replace all the parts that were bent. This set of wheels have a lot of very hard use.
I am proud to sell the product that we produce. I use our wheels on my daily driver, you are close come see. I have a set on my wife's daily driver.
If you have questions or problems with a company or product the way to resolve it is with the company, not a "S#!t storm" or open forum.
The phone number here is 760-598-5300
Old 09-23-2003, 11:41 PM
kinesis
3rd Gear

Ah, the wonders and dangers of the Internet! Give us a keyboard, computer and an Internet connection and we all become experts – even if we don’t know all the facts.

As the owner of Kinesis Motorsport, you can probably guess that I’m quite interested in some of the comments made in this thread. It would probably be helpful to fellow Rennlist discussion participants to know ALL the facts. For those of you who are interested, please consider the following.

1. The owner of the wheels in question never intended to imply that he was unhappy with our service – in fact, he told me we have treated him very fairly.
2. Wheels that are used for track use are not warranted by any manufacturer that we know of including those listed in this thread.
3. We have a very liberal warranty policy on “club” or DE use if the wheels are under warranty and in the possession of the original owner. The problem Suwipin experienced on this wheel is extremely rare, a handful over eight years. However, once the wheels are sold, we don’t know what has subsequently happened to them.
4. If these wheels qualified for the original warranty, they would be out of warranty (by almost two years) based on its time limit even if we disregarded the track use.
5. Every one of the four wheels sent to us had bent inner AND outer rim halves indicating some hard use and curbing and potential off track excursions.
6. We offered to completely rebuild Suwipin’s wheels AT OUR COST in spite of the facts above. Apparently he has elected to buy/use another set of USED wheels rather than go the expense of completely refurbishing the Kinesis wheels.

For Mark – What Kinesis policy do you find annoying?
For Rezal – I’m assuming that you are including Porsche, BMW, GM, etc. in your condemnation relative to this warranty policy?
For Jim – What business practices are you curious about – we obviously would love to have you as a customer – maybe you should find out about our business practices, support and advertising policies from us. By the way, we stand behind our products and are proud to make the claims in our advertisements even though you may have taken some artistic license with them. What do you mean by “shying away” and “win-win”?
For Kim – The conversation concerning heat had to do with the fact that Todd informed Pin that the color on the new center might be different than the other three wheels. You can sometimes tell that wheels have been tracked by the color change (check your factory wheels if you have run them hard) and race rubber build up. Todd offered to strip and refinish the other three centers to match.
For John Hua – Maybe you should ask your friend to call me – I hope I can help him. Also, see #2 above.
For Dan – Thanks for viewing and reading our advertising material. I think your advice to Pin is very good. THANKS! I would like to add however, that we stand behind our advertising and our wheels. It is interesting to note that you indicate that you are “assuming” some facts in two out of three paragraphs in your response and in the third paragraph you wisely council Pin to give us a chance to do “the right thing”. Maybe you could call me and tell me what that is.

To all – I hope you can tell that I’m passionate about my company, our products, my people and motorsports in general. I’m proud of what we do and it hurts to get criticism of any kind especially if it’s not deserved. Many of you like Martin S. are suggesting that Pin post this even more widely. It’s interesting that you note that we are supporters of club racing (we also give club pricing), but somehow you feel that we no longer deserve support. Maybe you could tell me what this is based on. I hope all of you realize that in a few seconds many of you have damaged a great reputation we have worked very hard to acquire for over eight years.

Thank you to those of you who have chosen to patiently read this. Now that I’ve gotten this off my chest, you may be interested to read a section on our web page titled “The Care and Feeding of Race Wheels” which you can find at http://www.kinesismotorsport.com/carerace.htm. This is based on a seminar that I’ve done on several occasions at race and club events and a pamphlet we offer to people who are interested. The information is based on research done by myself from articles written by race engineers and interviewing race teams.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:06 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally posted by kinesis
Ah, the wonders and dangers of the Internet! Give us a keyboard, computer and an Internet connection and we all become experts – even if we don’t know all the facts.
Peter,

I have to tell you that was not the best way to introduce yourself to the board in this situation. If you are dropped into a pit of snakes do you start by hissing at them?

And I have a set of your wheels BTW that I just bought recently exclusively for track use...
Old 09-24-2003, 12:07 AM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Dear all,

I sincerely hope that you will read this carefully:

I am extremely upset on how this thread turned out to be

If you read my original post carefully, my intention is to offer these wheels to any Rennlist member who needs/wants them for free of charge in as-is condition

I am trying to be nice and give back to the Rennlist community as I have been given so much by the community in the past.

I am extremely upset that some people have used this thread to talk bad things about Kinesis when they have no clue on the history of those wheels.

If you read my post, I never once COMPLAINED about the warranty of being voided because I acknowledge that:

1. I'm the 2nd owner of the wheels
2. I have no details on the history of the wheels when they were not mine
3. I checked on the year and I found out that the wheels are beyond warranty time limit
4. I know that the wheels have some bents on it and I didn't remember if it was due to my
fault or if it were due to previous owner's fault
5. These wheels are not in-destructable, if somebody were to use them in racing condition
and for some unfortunate reason, he/she went off track and hit something... should those
wheels be repaired under warranty?

Those are the considerations that I took before I decided to pursue the warranty issue or not. And after those considerations, apparently I did not pursue this warranty issue for obvious reasons.

I really felt bad to the person that I worked with at Kinesis on these wheels issue. Todd Wood has been really nice to me and he was very prompt in his response. I told him that I will think about whether or not I want to fix these wheels at my cost because I already bought another set of wheels and I have decided to cut down (really down) on my DE activities due to some financial considerations.

And now I have to apologize to him because of what has happened on this thread... I really feel like I'm the quilty party here and all because I try to give my wheels away to anybody here at Rennlist

Again, my original intention for my post is to offer these wheels to anybody at Rennlist, bear the facts of what I know and I don't know about these wheels and that's it. I have never intended to post this thread to put down anybody or any companies.

I understand that people in Kinesis would be upset... but please put ourselves in their shoes, you would be upset as well if people say bad things about you without even knowing you.

As I mentioned earlier, the price quoted was very reasonable. That quote was basically at their cost and I really appreciate that offer. If you read my original post, you will see that they are basically replacing all the hardware with new ones except for the 3 undamaged centers.

And the reason why they recommended to strip and re-anodize the other 3 undamaged centers was because they wanted to have all the centers look the same (color-wise).

They even offered me to do dye penetrant testing on the 3 undamaged wheels to ensure that there are no minor cracks on them.

However since I already bought a set of wheels/tires and I decided not to be too active on DE anymore, I made a conclusion that I can probably give these wheels to anybody at Rennlist.

Regarding the excessive heat on the wheel, that was a misunderstanding of my part on Todd's comment. He mentioned to me that there were some discoloration on the center of the wheel and being a Mechanical Engineer, I quickly assumed that it's because of excessive heat build-up. I should not have made that assumption in the first place and I apologize.

Again, my original intention on this post was to offer these wheels free of charge to anybody at Rennlist who's a member. I don't like to put people down, and I definitely hate to cause problems in people's life. I felt quilty because in a way, this thread has turned out to be what it is right now, which is talking bad things about Kinesis and being controversial... Why do people like controversy?

Please be considerate in the future... things will be much better, I'm sure

To Todd Wood, I personally and publicly apologized... you do NOT deserve this, I really apologize

I have given the wheels to Princeton Wong because he was the first person to ask for the wheels
Old 09-24-2003, 12:08 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Peter, there are various opinions on this forum and
maybe Supwin formed his own opinion that was different
that what you hoped. But be sure about this. when people
talk about wheels yours are frequently the first that come up.
And its in a good way.
Dont worry too much about these opinions. Your still held
in high regard. But opinons are opnions thats for sure
we all gotem.
By the way thanks for reading and joining our list!
Old 09-24-2003, 12:37 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Peter
Thank you for taking the time &, perhaps more important, for having the interest & integrity to come to this seemingly hostile environment in an attempt to bring balance to a thread that has, IMO, become overly reactionary. BTW, I found your crack about "Internet experts" to be directly on point & not the least bit offensive. Indeed, we regularly experience that phenomenon here.

Pin's opening post focused primarily on giving away his wheels, and secondarily on your company's proposed solutions. Obviously, important fact were omitted, not by his design, but because they were irrelevant to his objective, which did not include seeking redress from Kinesis. His followup post makes that clear.

It was others who questioned your policies and your handling of this situation. I can't speak for anyone else, but my comments were intentionally contingent on the truth of my stated assumptions: no impact damage & manufacturing defects that arise during (amateur) "race" usage. Your response has not altered (& is not inconsistent with) my stated opinion, but it has brought to light that Pin's wheel damage may, at least in part, be the result of impact damage (perhaps by the prior owner) or unexpectedly harsh treatment for which I don't believe Kinesis should be responsible. Under those facts, your offer to Pin was quite reasonable & seems to have been motivated by a genuine desire to achieve customer satisfaction.

I'm glad you took the chance to expose yourself by coming here. For me (& I expect for many others) you have polished any tarnish from the fine reputation your company enjoyed.
Peace.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:39 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Pin:

I am very sorry to have this gone so poorly for you today. Please accept my apology with any part I might have played.

I think that we all should contribute to your betterment as the community we are. What do you all think ???

Maybe we can contribute as a group towards your lifetime Rennlist membership, etc. Your generosity alone makes your deserving ! That is, if you still want to have something to do with all of us...

For Mr. Stacy / Kenesis:

I will gladly answer your questions and would like to also comment in general to your post(s).

1.) What I meant by your business practice is to observe exactly what has happened here today. How do you handle your customers and support the product. My curiosity as a potential customer was to see how this story would eventually play out with Pin giving away his wheels and how the next recipient would end up being supported with such an odd way of acquiring a used set of wheels. Hopefully, Princeton can tell us all a happy ending. This will speak volumes about your business practices. I hope you see this !

2.) As far as what I meant by shying away and win-win. I think it is obvious and maybe when you are calmer and can see the situation from an outside, intersted party's perspective you can take my comment with less salt. If not, feel free to PM me and I will gladly explain.

3.) As far as my status as a potential customer. I am still optimistic ! I would love to own a set of the K58R's for track wheels to my RS replica. Wheels are one of my favorite upgrades and your products are truly beautiful.

I have considered your wheels several times and spoken to you regarding my needs on a few ocasions either at your tent at the Monterey Historics or on the phone. You have been helpful and have provided good pre-sales info. However, with track use wheels, one of my biggest concerns is post sales support.

I have had to, in the past, replace rim halves seasonally on mutli piece wheels from your competitors. In fact the issue of rim half replacement is exactly what I have discussed with your reps when considering using your wheels. A failed wheel center really catches my attention as something to watch the support on. Stength of your wheel centers is one of your marketted differenciators to your comptetion. I hope you can see the importance of this to a potential customer/client.

In closing...

Thanks all for the bandwidth here and let's not forget Pin's generosity and the pain we caused him today. Now we just need to do our best to make him whole !

Regards
Old 09-24-2003, 12:52 AM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Dan, thank you for your insights, I'm in total agreement with you.

Jim, thank you very much for your kind words and for your kind offer. But if I may, I would like to decline the offer for the Rennlist lifetime member... I don't think I deserve it but thank you I'd think I need to pay for it myself..

I have been helped so many times by people in this community, if I miss anyone, please forgive me... Robin has helped me a lot, DJ, Mark Dalen, Greg Fishman, Danny DJF1, Brooke Temple, Kim, John Hua, Flying Finn, ViperBob, Jeff Chan, Tom Weber, Mike and Eric in Chi, and Viken who seems to know everything about Porsche and always ready to give out PN#s and good facts... and many many others.

And I've learned a lot from their givings...

Thank you to all ... I'm sorry if I offend anyone, I know that everyone means good... I'm getting off my soapbox now.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:07 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would like to add that being a 2nd owner of Kinesis RS Supercups that Kinesis has been great to talk to and deal with. They took care of me when I needed one replacement bolt and offered to let me send them in and check them over at no cost. No questions asked.

Seems like a good company to me.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:08 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I had an opportunity to meet Peter Stacy at the recent German Autofest in Ventura. I mentioned that I had a small ding on one of my almost brand new K28s (yes, I'm embarrassed... I hit something), and he took the time to walk out to the parking lot and examine the wheel, and suggest a repair strategy (very inexpensive, btw). I was very impressed by the time Kinesis took to try to match their anodized gold color with paint (kinda like Porsche paint-to-sample). All in all, my experience with Kinesis has been great.

As another aside, I find the K28s very easy to keep clean. I use a small car duster and give them a quick wipe, For serious cleaning, I use a damp cloth to get between the spokes. I can do all four wheels in 10 minutes. Of course, the dark gold color probably hides a lot. I use Simichrome polish for the rims. The wheels are spectacular.

Peter, thanks for reading and posting. Your policy sounds very realistic.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:33 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
Peter
BTW, I found your crack about "Internet experts" to be directly on point & not the least bit offensive. Indeed, we regularly experience that phenomenon here.
Dan,

While I stand by my previous comment, I do recognize the rest of Peter's statements and thought that it was very appropriate. In this situation it seems that they were fair in helping come to a proper and helpful solution.

I was offering feedback that in order to try and diffuse a situation, which I am not sure existed, the club approach may be a little excessive to get most peoples attention. That whole Transactional Analysis thing puts people on their heels and limits their ability to read on after the first sentence with an objective light.

Oh well. I need some new rim halves for the fronts so what the heck.

Quick Reply: An offer for Kinesis wheels