Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New 911 Generation - Turbo ONLY!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 09:27 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New 911 Generation - Turbo ONLY!

Just read an article in the German news:

http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/n...a-1051802.html

Due to EPA regulations and new emission standards the next generation Porsche 911 will be turbocharged only. No more n/a's..

You better hang on to your 993!

Here an excerpt from this article (sorry, German only):

"In diesem Zusammenhang lohnt auch ein Blick ins Datenblatt des neuen 911. Die Motoren legen in der Leistung nämlich um 20 PS und im Drehmoment um 60 Nm zu. Der Basis-Elfer kommt auf 370 PS und 450 Nm und der Carrera S auf 420 PS und 500 Nm. Im Vergleich zum Vorgänger absolviert er die wichtigste Referenzstrecke im Autouniversum - die Nordschleife des Nürburgrings - rund zehn Sekunden schneller"

I believe you get the idea... the base model will be much more powerful and the Carrera S will push 420 PS. That's 10 sec. less on the Nuerburgring...

There will be some interesting discussions ahead of us!

I need a beer...
Old 09-08-2015, 09:51 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

The drum beat leading up to these turbo fitted across the board engines has been heard for some time. No better than the IAA 2015 to unleash the details mainstream.

Forced induction changes many things for the base model Boxster's, Cayman and 911's alike; ruler flat torque Baby !
PAG Turbo charging the flat 6 cyl engine lineup is a BIG value proposition for the enthusiast I would think.
I can hear it now ....
"Hello MTM, Sportec, APR, Revtec .... Yeah, I just bought this base model Cayman coupe which is turbo charged. What $299 choices of software enhancement do you offer?"
Old 09-08-2015, 09:55 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

So what will they call the 911 Turbo now?
Old 09-08-2015, 09:59 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Turbo S Part Deux . . .

I dunno, Good question. Given Porsche's legacy with the Turbo, its a marketing dilemma any car manufacturer would luv to have.

Maybe call the base cars Turbo Lite ....
Old 09-08-2015, 10:00 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

Daz es da Turbo Antique? Da Turbo Yesteryear?
Old 09-08-2015, 10:22 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Not really interested in any of VW, er, Porsche's latest offerings, so I guess it won't matter to me.

I'm sure the 911 Turbo Turbo Turbo will still be the one to have.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:25 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe

I'm sure the 911 Turbo Turbo Turbo will still be the one to have.
That will look great on the engine lid.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:28 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts
Default New 911 Generation - Turbo ONLY!

Interesting commentary from Walter Rohrl on all Porsches going turbo:
"But no matter how good a turbo engine is, it can never have the pure response of a naturally aspirated engine. This is the reason I bought a Boxster Spyder, because engines like this won't be made anymore."

And about the turbo sound:
"At least it's not a four-cylinder turbo like in the next Boxster. That sounds like a Volkswagen Beetle, I'm not kidding you! I tell the guys, 'You're joking with this sound, right?' But they just say they are working on it. I'm sure they will get it right."

This was from February so maybe you guys had already seen this. I do think the absence of NA Porsches will over time drive more demand for NA older generation cars. Will be interesting to see how this influences the current pricing gap between NA and Turbo cars. No more air cooled and now no more NA cars....
Old 09-11-2015, 02:53 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Its getting better all the time. Better, better, better .... ' The Beatles.

+1 Agree with Herr Rohrl, however,,,, Times they are a changing. Presently, the newer Ferrari turbo V8 is one such aspirated example.

Originally Posted by myflat6
Interesting commentary from Walter Rohrl on all Porsches going turbo:
"But no matter how good a turbo engine is, it can never have the pure response of a naturally aspirated engine.

This is the reason I bought a Boxster Spyder, because engines like this won't be made anymore."

edit/delete text ....
Old 09-11-2015, 07:35 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by myflat6
I do think the absence of NA Porsches will over time drive more demand for NA older generation cars.
It already has. Try to buy an SC or Carrera right now. The prices are basically twice what they were when I joined this forum and that was before the announcement of no more NA cars.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:58 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

the cars will look nice and drive great. This is a lot of hoopla over nothing.

See the ferrari 488. If after watching reviews of that car you still think turbocharged cars are lame, then there is no hope for you.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:59 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
the cars will look nice and drive great. This is a lot of hoopla over nothing.

See the ferrari 488. If after watching reviews of that car you still think turbocharged cars are lame, then there is no hope for you.
No one said turbocharged cars are lame.

But they are more complicated and have more parts to service/replace.

They do suffer from turbo lag, and often have a less immediate throttle response and less linear power band.

Cars are all going turbo to meet CAFE fuel economy standards, which is good for the manufacturer, not because turbos are always better for the consumer.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:58 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '89 turbo had enough lag that I never really got comfortable driving it in a spirited way on a familiar winding road. My '97 tt had very little lag and was easy to drive. Porsche learned a lot in those short 8 years.
In has now been 18 years since '97 and I'll bet the Porsche engineers have got this worked out. Besides, whenever I have owned a NA 911, I lusted after a turbo. Wish I hadn't sold it...Sloan had it...I think he still does.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
No one said turbocharged cars are lame.

But they are more complicated and have more parts to service/replace.

They do suffer from turbo lag, and often have a less immediate throttle response and less linear power band.

Cars are all going turbo to meet CAFE fuel economy standards, which is good for the manufacturer, not because turbos are always better for the consumer.
Eh, they really aren't that much more complicated...and its not like we are starting with a 350 SBC. Modern turbos are easily good for 100k miles and aside from a few things, they shouldn't require much if any additional maintenance.

Less immediate throttle response is usually due to lower compression and some less than optimal tuning. With DFI and modern engine controls, its really good how these cars respond to the throttle. Same with lag...its really minimal nowadays.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:29 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

911 Big Turbos

Quick Reply: New 911 Generation - Turbo ONLY!