Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Driving in Ontario CANADA

Old 09-07-2015, 11:47 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Driving in Ontario CANADA

Just back for a trip to Ontario, Canada...the toll roads are very well maintained, the non toll highways were better than expected, much better than the CA non-toll roads. Out on the road I saw very few traffic officers...and speed limit signs were few and far between...I just moved along with the flow of traffic...in total vacation mode.

I did see a sign that got my attention, to the effect, go 50 kph (30 mph) over the speed limit, face up to a $10,000 fine. THAT got my attention.....and the Exchange Rate, US VS Canadian dollar, US is $1.33 VS the Canadian dollar....so off to the Rolex store in Toronto....they simply mark up their prices to reflect the exchange rate, can't blame them, guess I'll just have to live with my $100 watch for a while longer.

Bottom line, what a great place to visit...have been there many times, will be going again in the near future.

Fine Amounts for Speeding Tickets

More serious traffic tickets carry hefty fines associated with them that may not be listed on the ticket. If you received a Summons to Defendant, the fine amount will not be listed and you will have to go into the court to plead guilty or not. If you plead guilty to one of these offences you could be facing fines from $500 up to $10,000!

Speeding ticket fines are based on km/hr over the posted speeding limit. The chart below outlines the speeding fines for different speeds over the posted limit. Please note that every ticket in Ontario will have a Victim Surcharge added to the Set Fine which goes toward helping the victims of violent crimes. This is why there are two amounts listed on every offence notice.

1-19 km/h The amount of km over times $2.50 = fine
20-29 km/h The amount of km over times $3.75 = fine
30-49 km/h The amount of km over times $6.00 = fine
50 km/h+ (speeding) The amount over times $9.75 times $1.25 = fine
50+km/hr (Stunt Driving / Racing) fine amount can range from $2,000 - $10,000
Old 09-08-2015, 02:44 AM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep Ontario is getting quite strict. They also increased their distracted driving fine last week to $490 plus 3 points.

I know that out here in in BC there was a major crackdown on excessive speeding and street racing over the past 5 - 10 years. If you are caught going more than 40km/h over the limit (25 mph) the officer can have your vehicle towed on the spot and impounded for 7 days. Fine up to $483 + tow fee + storage = around $2000. Not to mention a very long wait on the side of the road for a cab if you are a far from the nearest town.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:13 AM
Coop
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the thumbs up Martin. Still 86 degrees here!!!
Old 09-08-2015, 07:45 AM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Still waiting for the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) to crack down on the left lane drivers who pull in and sit there going 1km over the speed limit.

Some days I think this should be $120 fine (the minimum speed you should be going in this lane). Other days I wonder if it should come with jail time
Old 09-09-2015, 07:23 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Let us know when you are back in Toronto Martin! There is also the annual Rennlist drive on October 18...
The OPP (Ontario Provincial Police ) our State Troopers in effect are coming out in hordes on weekends and are pretty unforgiving... the speed limits here are plain stupid and no one really follows them on the freeways. The norm seems to be about 110 to 120 about 70mph and so far it looks like you can get away with that but its always a gamble,.. the speed limits are a good cash grab so they wont change unfortunately. Their favorite past time as well is monitoring the HOV lanes during rush hour traffic. Every day when I go to work I see a minimum 4 to 5 OPP having stopped single drivers on the HOV...
Old 09-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993c4_Toronto
Still waiting for the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) to crack down on the left lane drivers who pull in and sit there going 1km over the speed limit.

Some days I think this should be $120 fine (the minimum speed you should be going in this lane). Other days I wonder if it should come with jail time
Ugh...left lane abuse is now reached chronic levels in most areas of North America that I've driven in the last few years. Some areas seem worse than others, I5 in Wa. comes to mind as perhaps the worst. This "war on speed" being waged in Canada seems to have no real foundation in concern for safety...more an over the top reaction to media and Utube postings that crazy drivers are completely off the hook. In the course of my driving I see numerous dangerous situations that are typically caused by distraction (smart phones) and frustration over use of the left lane. Never by crazy, excessive speed. But hey....once the left lane hogs become the majority, all's good.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:16 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 993c4_Toronto
It is what happens when you have signs that state "Slower Traffic Keep Right" instead of "Keep Right Except To Pass". Never an issue on the Autobahn where drivers didn't get their driver's licence out of a Box of Cracker Jacks.

As for speed limits, go to the track if you want to go fast.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Fortunately....

I saw no left lane hogging on my trip from Toronto to Niagara Falls (Mandatory Movie attached, from the Canadian side) on the QEW, no speed limit signs to be seen. People were in a "hauling ***" mode, and no OPP in sight, anywhere. I was thinking there must be speed cameras around...

Overall, based in what I see in my frequent (Urrrrgggg) drives across LA, the drivers on the QEW are more courteous, and trucks move along at a much faster clip, > than CA truck speed limit of 92 kph.

Took the double decker around downtown Toronto, hopped on and off, saw the Distillery and other tourist sights such as the St. Lawrence Market, accompanied wifey on some shopping in Yorkville where she got some fancy shoes (David's Footwear), didn't have the guts to go to the top of the CN tower, maybe next time, and there will be a next time the good Lord willing, great town. I know we only scratched the surface.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Falls IMG_2911.mov (1.11 MB, 37 views)
Old 09-09-2015, 12:07 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IXLR8
As for speed limits, go to the track if you want to go fast.
Yes, go to the track if you want to go fast. Stay out of the left lane on the highway except to pass.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:12 PM
Donster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drisump
Ugh...left lane abuse is now reached chronic levels in most areas of North America that I've driven in the last few years. Some areas seem worse than others, I5 in Wa. comes to mind as perhaps the worst. This "war on speed" being waged in Canada seems to have no real foundation in concern for safety...more an over the top reaction to media and Utube postings that crazy drivers are completely off the hook. In the course of my driving I see numerous dangerous situations that are typically caused by distraction (smart phones) and frustration over use of the left lane. Never by crazy, excessive speed. But hey....once the left lane hogs become the majority, all's good.
Fortunately in B.C. things seem to be going the other way.
Speed limits have been increased in line with evidence that drivers mostly ignore them and drive what they perceive to be a reasonable speed under current conditions. It's safer if most drivers cruise at similar speeds. Faster drivers don't increase speed that much when speed limits are raised, but the sticklers and slowpokes do increase their speed (up to the new limit, or at least close to it), so the difference between fast and slow drivers is less, which is safer.
Consequently, our big long distance highways are now 120km/h, and a lot of the others are 110km/h. This means you can cruise at 120-130 with no worries at all, and 140 on a lot of highways is no longer particularly fast.
The government is also changing signs to "keep right except to pass" and say they are cracking down on Left Lane Losers, but I have yet to see any evidence of it.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:18 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Donster
Fortunately in B.C. things seem to be going the other way.
...Consequently, our big long distance highways are now 120km/h, and a lot of the others are 110km/h. This means you can cruise at 120-130 with no worries at all, and 140 on a lot of highways is no longer particularly fast.
The government is also changing signs to "keep right except to pass" and say they are cracking down on Left Lane Losers, but I have yet to see any evidence of it.
...well, looks like I'll be moving to BC.

I was recently in NB and the roads there were great and there was almost no traffic (or jobs).
Old 09-10-2015, 06:07 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

As I write this I am on my way back to Calgary from taking my son to start his first year at UVic. 120kph on the "Coca Cola" highway ie hwy 5, and also on a long stretch of 97c from Merritt to Kelowna. Most people were 10 to 20 over, though I maintained a speed that was reasonably close to the limit so as not to set too bad an example for my son. Radar detector never went off once.

Same limit as in Montana (75mph) on my trip there in August. Very civilized. The big difference: in Montana I NEVER saw anyone speed, ever. City or highway. It was unbelievable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driving in Ontario CANADA