993 Forum 1995-1998

PORSCHE PET Parts Catalog insufficient data for 96 993 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:31 PM
Deleted.2.Targa
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PORSCHE PET Parts Catalog insufficient data for 96 993 Targa

There are several parts that are insufficient in the PET or questionable. Porsche isn't quick to reply or address an inquiry for a 1996 Targa. Hopeful the forum can fill in the slack. Replacing the right rear quarter glass moulding. The part is: 993 562 516 00. This moulding runs along the painted quarter and is the base of the quarter glass. When you remove the moulding, there is one screw hole drilled within the underside and on the car body there are 3 retaining clips embedded in the black caulk glass sealant. What isn't known is if three are complete. The PET only shows the moulding for the targa model. No clips, no screw, no advice on the attachment of said part. So where does one go to obtain more information? This is a low mileage 96 and not a slap it on and wing it project. Doing this the right way or no way at all. But how does one do it right, when Porsche isn't supplying the information? Any advice would be appreciated. Would like to replace the clips with a firm fitment and locate the screw that was used. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2015, 11:54 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

First, let's see some pics of this low mile targa.

My car has a "blemish" that's been driving me crazy. One of the rear quarter windows has a tiny chip in the edge, so I'm curious as well.

The Targa Service Technical Notes #1 document on MikeJ's pcarworkshop site has about the most detail I've seen on how the roof components attach. There's a picture that clearly shows 3 clips as you describe.

There's also some prose on how it attaches, but no part numbers for the clips.

The trim moulding is attached with retaining clips to the body flange of the side section. A seal is installed in the groove of the trim moulding...

Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:16 PM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

post some pics.. i replaced the moulding when i bought by targa but i have the originial pieces that i can see if i can give you what you need. not sure what you need exactly though.

Quick Reply: PORSCHE PET Parts Catalog insufficient data for 96 993 Targa