Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Turbo vs std spark plugs

Old 08-22-2015, 06:37 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo vs std spark plugs

I was reading the reviews on spark plugs over on the bird. Came across one that claimed that turbo plugs (FR6-LDC vs FR5DTC) help keeping the SAI ports cleaner because they burn hotter. Any one ever heard that?
Old 08-22-2015, 07:28 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If clogged SAI ports are due to oil being burned by sloppy/soft valve guides, and possibly further exacerbated by faulty SAI check valve; then I'm not sure how running a hotter plug is going to help things out?

Perhaps one of our resident gurus can chime in with their thoughts on the matter?
Old 08-22-2015, 11:29 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

makes no sense. Forced induction cars use cooler plugs.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:08 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You have to understand that "hotter & cooler" plugs refers to the optimum, operating temp. of the plugs. It does not mean one plug ignites "hotter", it just cleans itself at a hotter temp. than another rated plug.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:42 AM
uberlawyer
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

On a slightly unrelated note, the racing team that services my car are adamant that Bosch spark plugs are a no-go, and have gone with Denso - don't know type and part number yet, but I assume they are most likely single electrod, as opposed to the standard 3 in Bosch.

This makes me quite nervous, but they say the engine runs great. I'll report back when I pick up the car.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:07 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by uberlawyer
On a slightly unrelated note, the racing team that services my car are adamant that Bosch spark plugs are a no-go, and have gone with Denso - don't know type and part number yet, but I assume they are most likely single electrod, as opposed to the standard 3 in Bosch.

This makes me quite nervous, but they say the engine runs great. I'll report back when I pick up the car.
I was running Denso IK20's and went to the IK22's with a .020-.022 gap. This solved my (approx. 4800+ rpm) problem of the extra boost extinguishing the spark prematurely.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:00 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Technical information

Heat Range Explanation
Typically the heat range for NGK Spark Plugs varies from 2-11. This number indicates the thermal characteristics of a spark plug, or how ‘hot’ or ‘cold’ a spark plug is. The term hot/cold is commonly used to describe whether a spark plug heats up easily (hot) or whether it provides resistance to heating up (cold).

Generally, low power engines such as lawn mowers don’t produce a large amount of heat, hence use a low heat range (or hot) spark plug such as a 4 heat range. This means the spark plug will heat up easily and reach its optimal operating temperature. High performance engines on the other hand produce a large amount of heat, hence a high heat range (or cold) spark plug such as a 10 heat range needs to be used to resist the heat developed by the engine.

Several factors influence the heat range of a spark plug, although typically the insulator nose design provides an indication of the heat range of a spark plug.

When a spark plug absorbs heat produced from combustion, the heat is transferred through the centre electrode and insulator nose to the metal shell, which then transfers the heat into the engine casing and circulating coolant.

A low heat range (or hot) spark plug typically has a long thin insulator nose which will heat up easily however will not dissipate readily to the metal shell (above left). Conversely, a high heat range (or cold) spark plug has a short thick insulator nose which will dissipate heat much easier (above right).

When the heat rating is too high:

The spark plug temperature remains too low and causes deposits to build up on the firing end; the deposits offer an electrical leakage path that gives rise to loss of sparks.

When the heat rating is too low:

The spark plug temperature rises too high and induces abnormal combustion (pre-ignition): this leads to melting of the spark plug electrodes as well as piston seizure and erosion.

As spark plugs are positioned in the head of an engine, their analysis can give a good indication of how your engine is operating.
-----------------------------------

Again, I fail to see how running a hotter or colder plug has a bearing on clogged SAI passages...

...or maybe its just me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo vs std spark plugs