Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

I have seen and met several 996 owners..

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 07:05 PM
Vinny '98 3.8 C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think it has any bearing on whether or not someone owns a 993, 996, or whatever.

That's one reason why I love the track and autoX so much. The people are great. It doesn't matter what anyone is driving, non-Porsches included. They're just car crazy.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:24 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
well put Vinny
Old 04-30-2003, 10:36 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 621 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by 996FLT6:
<strong>I'm almost a fanatic ROLO-only 2 digits away from fanatic-woohoo on number of posts!!. Sounds like your full of yourself. Regards. Mike</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Didn't mean to strike a nerve there guy. If you read I was commenting on the guys in my town, and asking if it were like that in other places.

I'll try and post more, if that is what makes one a fanatic in your mind? Woohoo backatcha!

While I am not a fan of the 996, I think its a beautiful car, and can't imagine such nice cars not being taken care of.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:25 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree that there will always be owners of the latest model that have no clue. They lease for a year or two, dump it, and move on to something else.

I bought my first 911 in early 1997, at the height of the 993 years. I remember being snubbed a few times when the then new 993 owner found out I owned a 11 year old 3.2 Carrera with a bunch of miles. So, those type of people existed back then too. All the 993 guys I meet now are in love with their cars.

I met a 996 owner during the Cayenne intro in March at the dealer. I asked how he liked his car. He loved it, but thought it was a bit noisey. He asked what I owned and I told him I owned a '90 911. He didn't seem to be too interested in talking with me about 911's after finding that out...

I judged a new 996 Twin Turbo a year ago at a concours event and the owner would barely talk with me. Man, he was stuck up with an attitude... Why?

I'll routinely see 996's in the salt, snow and slush in my area. I don't remember seeing as many 993's in the poor weather when they were new cars.

A few years ago, a woman who worked at a neighboring business to my work owned a new 996 cab. I distinctly remember pulling up next to her in my C2 at a stop light near work and she wouldn't even acknowledge me. No 'Porsche family' wave, nothing. I wondered if she even knew I was driving a decendant of her car... Her car was driven year round (snow tires and all) and was absolutely filthy all of the time (I drove past it almost every day). Those cars are designed for year round driving, but you'd think she would have cleaned that car once a week instead of once a month...

All that being said, I've also met some pretty enthusiastic 996 owners with immaculate cars.

Quick Reply: I have seen and met several 996 owners..