Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Porsches and Pilots

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 01:59 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not at all. I know more than a couple of guys that got into it, and quit - because they hated it and felt like overpaid bus drivers.

The rush of flying an airliner is different from that of a smaller plane. I think directly controlling a 350,00lbs machine is part of the thrill. I personally like playing with all the gizmos and gadgets in the cockpit. The more toys an airplane has to keep me occupied, the happier I am. Otherwise, if it's really spartan, like a glider or aerobatics plane, I'll start doings rolls and loops. Different planes are like different cars.. Driving an 18-wheeler can be fun, but not as much fun as driving a Porsche...

No matter what it is, if it flies, it's a thrill!!!

BTW, one of the most common sayings in the aviation industry: "Flying is defined as hours upon hours of boredom, punctuated by stark moments of terror.." This can be true, but it's always easy to make it fun...
Old 09-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Alan C2S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joy of Flying

Allen,
In response to your question most of the joy of flying is gone IMHO. Yes,
I get a rush every time I rotate and pull the jet into the air (most pilots do). People think being an airline pilot is like being on a vacation where they pay you to fly. For me the truth of it is somewhere around 20% fly 80% management. Managing things like schedules, weather, security, flight attendants, maintenance, the company you work for, etc. It's like living out of a suite case sleeping in hotels going places you really don't want to go. When you would rather be at home sleeping in your own bed playing with your own kids. I have been with A------- Airlines for over 17 years and I am 45 yrs old, even with the pay cuts and the layoffs I feel like I'm one of the lucky ones with my best option being to just wait it out for 15 more hope it does not get any worse and retire. (and hope the retirement is still there) I still make a good living and have plenty of time off, however I am concerned about the pilots below me and the young ones that would like to make aviation their future. (It won't be the same)
The major airlines had their "hay-day" in years past. Now it looks like the game is keeping up with the low cost carriers. The romance associated with flying does sound nice, but really its just like Porsche and other large corporations the decisions they make all are about the dollars!!!!
Regards, Alan
Old 09-16-2003, 02:41 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Allen, your story almost mirrors mine as a business traveler. I used
to like to fly and I enjoyed the service, and being treated like
a important person. But as the airlines slim down to match the
low cost carriers, the service has dropped off severely.
(is nonexistant too strong?)
Its no fun anymore being packed in like sardines and having to wait
for all the thoughtless people with carryons that are oversized as they
search for a nonexistant place to put what should have
been checked anyway. It just seems as though if someone
brought that back (the good service) everone would be happier!
I'd pay for it!
OG
Old 09-16-2003, 02:42 PM
Straight Coupe
Intermediate

Allen,

It is a gas! I still love it for that reason! Although we can't have as much fun with the airplane on live (passenger) legs, the empty legs can be pretty entertaining.

You may or may not know this, but many commercial jets are way overpowered when they're not loaded up. Even when they are loaded up, they rarely use full power, even for takeoffs.

I especially love flying out west where, usually, air traffic control clears us up to higher altitudes right away... you can line up on the runway, stand the throttles up, lift off, suck up the gear & flaps, accelerate on the deck, then rotate at the end of the runway and bee-line for the sky! It's really a lot of fun, but we don't do it that often for safety/traffic and other reasons.

Alan,

I couldn't agree with you more. As I mentioned before, I'm flying for a fractional so, it's a little different but I came really close to going 121 before 9/11. Sometimes I wish I had but I know the glory days (and pay scales) associated with the majors are probably a thing of the past now.... makes the incentive to move a little less.

My neighbor just took early retirement from AA because of the conditions you refer to. He was Capt. on the 75. I really wish things were different. I am one of the "young ones" below you and I'm a little worried too. Everyone talks about the cycles in this industry so, I have faith things will come back.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:45 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Nick
PSA used to take off like that all the time. Buzz down the
runway and stand it on its tail!
OG
Old 09-16-2003, 02:48 PM
Straight Coupe
Intermediate

Our little Citation V isn't that impressive, but it's still pretty quick. Best flying job I've had so far!

Even with the way things are, it still beats working for a living.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:21 PM
Alan C2S
Intermediate

Allen,
I've flown the 757/767 as well as the 777 if you want to experience a kick in the pants just fly the 757 on a max pwr takeoff during a maintenance check flight light with little fuel and no passengers now thats a rush!!!!! OK I enjoy it a little bit, but still enjoy the Porsche more!
Alan
Will go straight up to 41,000 and not hesitate.....
Originally posted by Straight Coupe
Allen,

It is a gas! I still love it for that reason! Although we can't have as much fun with the airplane on live (passenger) legs, the empty legs can be pretty entertaining.

You may or may not know this, but many commercial jets are way overpowered when they're not loaded up. Even when they are loaded up, they rarely use full power, even for takeoffs.

I especially love flying out west where, usually, air traffic control clears us up to higher altitudes right away... you can line up on the runway, stand the throttles up, lift off, suck up the gear & flaps, accelerate on the deck, then rotate at the end of the runway and bee-line for the sky! It's really a lot of fun, but we don't do it that often for safety/traffic and other reasons.

Alan,

I couldn't agree with you more. As I mentioned before, I'm flying for a fractional so, it's a little different but I came really close to going 121 before 9/11. Sometimes I wish I had but I know the glory days (and pay scales) associated with the majors are probably a thing of the past now.... makes the incentive to move a little less.

My neighbor just took early retirement from AA because of the conditions you refer to. He was Capt. on the 75. I really wish things were different. I am one of the "young ones" below you and I'm a little worried too. Everyone talks about the cycles in this industry so, I have faith things will come back.

Quick Reply: OT: Porsches and Pilots