No 2, 4, or 6 gears

Old 07-25-2015, 01:41 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Gerry I'll ring you this weekend to walk you through pulling the front cover. You can do it in the car.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:47 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

The linear bearings in the nose cone jam easily from debris. There are I recall 11 linear bearings in all but the long one in the nose cone is located low in the oil level and more prone to picking up debris. Especially if you had the car nose down - the oil runs to the front of the box.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:39 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
The linear bearings in the nose cone jam easily from debris. There are I recall 11 linear bearings in all but the long one in the nose cone is located low in the oil level and more prone to picking up debris. Especially if you had the car nose down - the oil runs to the front of the box.
Any chance a DIY may develope on a cure for this? Would be nice to have something to fall back on, when something like this pops up.
Aloha
Richard

Last edited by OverBoosted28; 07-29-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:53 PM
Gerry Kokoszka
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris that is GREAT news! It looked like I was gong to be dropping the engine and trans. I will take pictures of what I find. Call any time 949 282-3192 C.

It would be really nice to find the cause and fix this without dropping the engine and trans.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:10 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Kudo's to Chris Walrod for chiming in and hopefully helping Gerry avoid an unnecessary engine/trans drop!

Is this a great place, or what!
Old 07-26-2015, 10:35 PM
tonypai
Racer

Gerry, I forget exactly which hole the bearing jammed in. But if you look at my last picture. You'll see the shift fork in the middle of the picture and the rod that supports it. One of those rods got stuck. If you take the trans apart, you or your mechanic should be able to spot the issue pretty quickly
Old 07-27-2015, 04:05 PM
Gerry Kokoszka
Rennlist Member

I took the front cover off last night with the trans in the car. Thanks for the support and encouragement Chris. Two non-metallic pieces of debris were found near the shift rod linear bearing. Unfortunately they are not the cause of the incident.

With the engine mount nuts run down so the nuts still provide full support and the center of the trans supported by a jack and front cover off, the shift rod still will not go fully into 2, 4, and 6 gears. The problem is further inside the trans.

There is still something inside the trans preventing the shift rod from making full travel into 2, 4, and 6 gears. The trans is going to have to come out.

An body in the Socal area have a 993 with a 4.0 ring and pinion I could get a ride in?
Old 07-27-2015, 07:14 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The consensus from most transmission guru's is that you want to STAY AWAY from the 4.0 R&P.

That particular gear set does not have a "walking" tooth count. For example, the 4.0 gear set meshes the same teeth every 4 rotations. If I'm not mistaken the standard 3.44 gears take 25 rotations to mesh the same teeth. You will experience MUCH shorter lifespan of you R&P with the 4.0 set.

In addition, even though you will be giving yourself more thrust in a given gear, you will not fix the primary issue which is the huge drop between gears, especially the 1-2 shift. You will also lower the already very low ratio of first gear. I know it is an enticing option on the surface, but I really think that the disadvantages of the 4.0 set greatly outweigh the additional torque. I'd say wait and spend your money on some new gears.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:41 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gerry,
I PM'd you with a phone number if you want to call/discuss.

Here are more pictures from my transmission rebuild:
http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/ch...?sort=3&page=1

The little eccentric with the spring loaded ball pops in/out of the machined grooves in the shift rod seen here:

The linear bearing that was jamming is in the 2nd half of the transmission case shown here:

This is the backside of the hole where the grit was stuck. It opens into the differential cavity on the other side:

Name:  DSC_2842_zpscaa16f53.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  44.1 KB
Old 07-28-2015, 10:35 AM
tonypai
Racer

Ouch!

Exact same issue for me but I was luckier and the bearings didn't jam like that. You'd be amazed at how many of those little bearings came pouring out when we opened the differential.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:56 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Bummer Gerry it wasnt something easier. Looks as though the trans has to come out and apart. Good time to inspect the diff / check spider gears for pitting et al.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:32 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Gerry,
Sorry to hear this!
Paul
Old 07-28-2015, 01:48 PM
Gerry Kokoszka
Rennlist Member

Jyster thanks for the input on 4.0 ring and pinion. I wasn't aware of that scenario.

I spent the money and changed all gears except first about 11 years ago. I was doing some auto-crossing at the time and it made me crazy so I fixed it. I spec'd the gears and provided a euro box to Bobby Hart at California Motorsports who did the box and a PM limited slip. The rpm drop between first and second is no more.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:09 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Gerry. Sounds like you have a bit of a project on your hands. Let me know if you want to bring her over to investigate further on my car lift. I'm not too far from you - North Tustin. I'm also very interested in your euro box rebuild.

Marc Gianzero
Old 07-28-2015, 03:04 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Gerry,
I think the guys already have you on the right track looking for debris in the forward shift rod linear bearing. The last time I had your issue it was down to worn out sun gears inside the stock differential assembly throwing particles into the end of the linear bearing cavity.

There is a long shot fix that might work. Remove the differential flanges, diff cover and the differential assembly. Clear out as much oil as you can, then locate the open hole to the linear bearing cavity. Whilst operating the shaft, wash out the cavity with brake cleaner (or petrol, paraffin, w.h.y.), then blow out with an air line. If the travel increases, refit the diff, fill up with oil and give it a try.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No 2, 4, or 6 gears