993 Forum 1995-1998

Rebuilt (Bosch) alternator woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 02:12 AM
L23FPorsche
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rebuilt (Bosch) alternator woes

Two weeks ago I was stranded for the first time in a vehicle. Before I noticed the glowing battery light the car died on a major interstate in the middle lane. To make things worse it was 95 degrees and a 2 hour wait for AAA. A new battery got me home (80 miles), but it was shaky with my abs light and others coming on 10 miles before home. My battery cable was very corroded so I replaced that thinking this might be the problem. After starting the car the battery read at 11.5 volts so obviously not charging. Since my fan needed replacing as well I replaced it and ordered a rebuilt alternator from pp. After replacing the alternator but before replacing the AC belt I started the car to get a voltage reading. With the SAI pump running I got a reading of 13.5v. When the pump went off my reading bumped to 13.8v. From previous posts, I was thinking I would be closer to 14.0 - 14.5v. I then turned the car off and replaced the AC belt. Just to be sure before I went for a ride, I restarted the car and checked the voltage again. Now I was getting a reading of 12.8v. What? I thought maybe the brushes needed to bed in so I went for a short drive (15 min.). When I returned my reading was down to 12.0v even. Before I turned the car off my reading was below 12v. What gives? Any ideas as to what my be wrong would be greatly appreciated. Could it be a bad rebuild? Is my experience typical for a bad rebuild?
Old 07-08-2015, 02:41 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi,

Our experience with Bosch rebuilt electrics is less than stellar and given the high rate of failures, we really don't like to use them any longer. Despite the high cost, IMHO buying new factory components has proven to be the best long-term solution where reliability is the main priority.

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2015, 11:21 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

I understand that our alternators live in a less-than-optimal location, but why is there such a high failure rate (both with factory units as well as rebuilts)? The bearings in my original alternator started squeaking years ago so I installed a rebuilt unit from Sunset.

In comparison, the factory alternator in my 2001 4Runner is 14+ years old, and continues to function as it did when I purchased the truck new. It now has 334,000 miles...

Andreas
Old 07-08-2015, 12:02 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Andreas,

I've had FAR better luck with factory new parts (starters & alternators) than Bosch rebuild ones and this isn't recent history.

Bosch underwent some fundamental changes several years ago when they were close to bankruptcy and some of those resulted in what you see today with their "loose" QC. I suspect they have either outsourced their rebuilding operations or they have streamlined this to the point where its ineffective. I think this is the root cause of the poor reliability.

Shops simply cannot afford unhappy customers and processing comebacks/returns which results in lost labor every time. For those reasons, we choose new parts every time unless extenuating circumstances dictate alternative solutions. In those rare cases, I take time to explain the caveats of using a "rebuilt" part and all those assumed risks.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:16 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Would a rebuild by a competent local alternator shop not be a better more affordable option? A stock new alternator is like $800 or so I believe
Old 07-08-2015, 12:39 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Would a rebuild by a competent local alternator shop not be a better more affordable option? A stock new alternator is like $800 or so I believe
That's the way I went. I believe Andreas got in when new oem were still reasonably priced. Now they are ridiculous. I was wary of bosch rebuilt stories on here and took mine to a local shop. If it doesn't last I'll fork out for an oem one. I don't enjoy the r&r of the alternator...

I hear what Steve is saying though. If I ran a shop, no way I would gamble on a rebuilt bosch and doing the job twice for only 1x money.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:39 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's absolutely nothing special about these alternators or starters vs any other car.

I think a rebuild by a competent local shop is absolutely the way to go. There are a few guys here in Houston that have been running locally rebuilt stuff on SC's and 964s for over 5 years. Zero issues so far
Old 07-08-2015, 12:43 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Yes, IF,... IF you have someone local who is truly competent.

Here in PDX, no such thing.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:26 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Even new Bosch part quality seems to have gone down hill. Their replacement coils for the earlier 911's are known to have high failure rates. They are made in Brazil, I believe.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:07 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

OE production installed, aftermarket service new and reman are always made to different standards as the goal is to meet warrenty service life at minimum cost. Each of these products have significantly differing warrenty periods and elements of replacement cost covered.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:28 PM
911RufRT
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a factory rebuilt alternator over 5 years ago and haven't had any problems since. I remember the non rebuilt alternator was double the price at the dealer. The job is diy and was much easier then I thought.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:54 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by myflat6
Even new Bosch part quality seems to have gone down hill. Their replacement coils for the earlier 911's are known to have high failure rates. They are made in Brazil, I believe.
Yessir, that's true and the "tip of the iceberg", to use a metaphor.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:13 PM
L23FPorsche
Instructor

While I appreciate the replies, they all seem to be centered in on the fact the the alternator was a unit rebuilt from Bosch. I am aware that there have been some issues with these. The question remains, is the way the charging deteriorated over a very short time indicative of a failed/failing alternator? Could there be a wiring issue? What do I look for? What to do now?

Thanx
Old 07-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Duggie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bosch

Steve, I'm going slightly off topic here, but I'm just about to change the distributor caps and was planning on using Bosch replacements, what do you recommend?
Duggie
Old 07-08-2015, 03:24 PM
L23FPorsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by Duggie
Steve, I'm going slightly off topic here, but I'm just about to change the distributor caps and was planning on using Bosch replacements, what do you recommend?
Duggie
Clearly a Hijack of the thread. These types of questions belong in a PM.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt (Bosch) alternator woes