Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Excessive Oil Consumption - Every 993 0wner should read!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 01:08 PM
CHJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
Great read Bob, thanks for providing the link. I had already read the clean out procedure and seen the video. Hope at least all the '96 guys are satisfied with their solution. However, I was really hoping that people could come up with the solution to the basic issue of building carbon in the ports. From other reading, it seems that bad valve guides are an element. Further, it seems that the valve guide seals are to good stopping the guides from getting any oil until they wear badly and then the oil comes pouring through causing the carbon. Some suggested that the 5W oil can get through and some have suggested that the spring around the seal be removed. Guess that's for further exploration.

Chuck
Old 07-08-2015, 01:23 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Excessive Oil Consumption - Every 993 0wner should read!

It is clear that worn valve guides will cause plugged SAI ports however could ordinary carbon build up that exists in internal combustion engines be the cause for some plugged port cases and could techron or some other cleaner help address or prevent this issue? Is fuel quality at all at play here?
Old 07-08-2015, 03:09 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by myflat6
It is clear that worn valve guides will cause plugged SAI ports however could ordinary carbon build up that exists in internal combustion engines be the cause for some plugged port cases and could techron or some other cleaner help address or prevent this issue? Is fuel quality at all at play here?
I have low oil consumption (1qrt per 1.5-2k miles) and my car had SAI cleaned out by PO, so I would say yes build up can occur. From what I read, driving conditions affect the build up. i.e. 993 that are tracked have less carbon build up.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:47 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

OK so I have been following this thread and came up with this scenario, Owner regularly inadvertently overfilling oil until what appears to be excessive oil condition is observed or the burning of the oil clogs the secondary air injector ports and a self-inflicted top end rebuild ensues.
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 02-20-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:48 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
OK so I have been following this thread and came up with this cenerio, Owner regularly inadvertantly overfilling oil until what appears to be excessive oil condition is observed or the burning of the oil cloggs the secondary air injector ports and a self inflicted top end rebuild ensues.
Andy
That has probably happened no more than two times in human history.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:41 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
OK so I have been following this thread and came up with this cenerio, Owner regularly inadvertantly overfilling oil until what appears to be excessive oil condition is observed or the burning of the oil cloggs the secondary air injector ports and a self inflicted top end rebuild ensues.
Andy
Nope.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:47 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ
Great read Bob, thanks for providing the link. I had already read the clean out procedure and seen the video. Hope at least all the '96 guys are satisfied with their solution. However, I was really hoping that people could come up with the solution to the basic issue of building carbon in the ports. From other reading, it seems that bad valve guides are an element. Further, it seems that the valve guide seals are to good stopping the guides from getting any oil until they wear badly and then the oil comes pouring through causing the carbon. Some suggested that the 5W oil can get through and some have suggested that the spring around the seal be removed. Guess that's for further exploration.

Chuck
My two cents…

Just a bad design to satisfy US smog requirements. The crazy thing is once the car is warmed up the SAI is useless.

I do believe that if you are in a position to fully warm the car up each time it is started (or most of the time) this will reduce or even eliminate the carbon build up. And I do agree that if you at some point you get better value guides in this will help. And 5W should not be used in any case.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:55 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do believe that if you are in a position to fully warm the car up each time it is started (or most of the time) this will reduce or even eliminate the carbon build up.
How does this work, exactly?
Old 07-08-2015, 06:07 PM
shaggyM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
That has probably happened no more than two times in human history.
Nope.
What happens to that extra oil? Doesn't it get burned off. Whats different to that oil vs valve guide oil.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:13 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
Here at EPE in Natick this morning for an oil change. There's a beautiful 993 4S here with the engine out. Check out these clogged secondary air injection ports after just 45,000 miles.

Yes indeed, but what is not known, is how full the oil level was kept for those 45000 miles...

If too full, the oil gets ingested into the SAI system, where at 45K miles the SAI check valve can and probably has been rendered ineffective for its intended purpose. This would allow hot exhaust gasses up into and throughout the SAI system, thereby coking the over filled oil that gets ingested from over filling the engine oil.

Could some less than scrupulous repair shops perform top end rebuilds, where not necessary and also propagate the soft Porsche valve guide material.

When extrapolating data, it is not accurate to state how many cars required, or were claimed to require top end rebuilds at a "repair" shop; as there are many vehicles into 100K - 200K miles, without necessitating a top end rebuild.

The only valid data is the # of vehicles actually requiring top end rebuilds against the number of vehicles imported or grey marketed into the US. This would EXCLUDE those engines exhibiting excessive oil consumption from overfilling the engine oil !
Old 02-15-2019, 06:49 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Yes indeed, but what is not known, is how full the oil level was kept for those 45000 miles...

If too full, the oil gets ingested into the SAI system, where at 45K miles the SAI check valve can and probably has been rendered ineffective for its intended purpose. This would allow hot exhaust gasses up into and throughout the SAI system, thereby coking the over filled oil that gets ingested from over filling the engine oil.

Could some less than scrupulous repair shops perform top end rebuilds, where not necessary and also propagate the soft Porsche valve guide material.

When extrapolating data, it is not accurate to state how many cars required, or were claimed to require top end rebuilds at a "repair" shop; as there are many vehicles into 100K - 200K miles, without necessitating a top end rebuild.

The only valid data is the # of vehicles actually requiring top end rebuilds against the number of vehicles imported or grey marketed into the US. This would EXCLUDE those engines exhibiting excessive oil consumption from overfilling the engine oil !
Bet you $100 that car has worn guides
Old 02-15-2019, 08:28 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I had my top-end rebuilt at about 55k miles. The engine had to come out to have the case re-sealed (leaking from the through-bolts), because the car had sat idle for at least 2 years before I acquired it. While they were in there, I had the top-end rebuilt as well, using after-market valve guides. Now, many years and 40k miles later, I drive 5k miles per year without having to top-off the oil between each oil change. As for the oil fill-level, I set the oil level so that it is near the top marker when at maximum temperature. Some might call this over-filling; but, 5k miles later the oil level only drops to about the middle of the range, which I believe is well under 1 quart per 5k miles. I wonder how many 993 owners without top-end rebuilds can go 5k miles without having to top-off the oil level?

Last edited by Ivan J; 02-15-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:17 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
Bet you $100 that car has worn guides
Such an intelligent response requires none; since the point was missed completely...

The oil level gauge needs to be calibrated by the owner, with regards to the actual oil level on the dip stick or its unreliable as to the actual engine oil level of the car.

There are contributing causes, and then there is a root cause to clogged SAI ports. I will put $10k on the root cause of overfilling engine oil as opposed to worn valve guides as being the root cause of clogged SAI ports...Go strong or go home!

Contrary to the OP's belief, he was not the catalyst to the contributing vs root cause of the SAI port issue, but is rather parroting what has already been challenged to Steve Weiner's original proclamation of soft valve guides as being the primary cause of clogged SAI ports.

Mr. Weiner even went as far as to accept the root and contributing causes, since it was far more likely that engine oil overfills were coking the SAI ports, rather than worn valve guides.

Last edited by nine9six; 02-16-2019 at 03:39 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:13 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Such an intelligent response requires none; since the point was missed completely...

The oil level gauge needs to be calibrated by the owner, with regards to the actual oil level on the dip stick or its unreliable as to the actual engine oil level of the car.

There are contributing causes, and then there is a root cause to clogged SAI ports. I will put $10k on the root cause of overfilling engine oil as opposed to worn valve guides as being the root cause of clogged SAI ports...Go strong or go home!

Contrary to the OP's belief, he was not the catalyst to the contributing vs root cause of the SAI port issue, but is rather parroting what has already been challenged to Steve Weiner's original proclamation of soft valve guides as being the primary cause of clogged SAI ports.

Mr. Weiner even went as far as to accept the root and contributing causes, since it was far more likely that engine oil overfills were coking the SAI ports, rather than worn valve guides.
Exactly! ALWAYS CHECK YOUR DIPSTICK ONCE CAR IS UP TO TEMP! Don’t rely on your dash gauge!
Old 02-18-2019, 11:15 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

You guys / gals are so lucky to have a dipstick to be able to check the oil level in real time. I really miss that on my 997.

Quick Reply: Excessive Oil Consumption - Every 993 0wner should read!