993 Forum 1995-1998

Odd Door Lock Behavior - Tech Question

Old 05-07-2015, 02:37 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts
Default Odd Door Lock Behavior - Tech Question

Guys,

Many of you were kind to help me recently with a door lock issue on my 1997 993 C2. It was the drivers door actuator so I replaced it and the passenger door actuator as well.

I did another post too about the interior door sound pads that had fallen off the door and sitting in the bottom of the door cavity absorbing moisture. So a good cleanup was done and better soundproofing installed.

The door locks and Immobilizer system works normally now but with one little quirk. I was wondering if any of you might know about this.....not life threatening but odd....

Once the lock system is armed (LED's flashing) you can arm and disarm the system repeatedly and it just takes a single push of the fob button to activate or deactivate the system. Fob batteries are new, by the way. All normal.

However, if the car sits for 30 minutes or so and the system is armed it takes a double push of the fob button to disarm the system. The first push gets a quiet click sound like the lock actuators are getting a signal and the door LED lights flash very fast. If you then release the fob button and press the button again the LED lights extinguish and you get the big "clunk" noise from the door lock actuators.

This is not a big deal, just annoying and different than I remember it. Perhaps it's the door lock control module going bad? I have no problem just replacing it with new as a precaution. I can clean under the passenger seat at the same time !!

One final question - if the door lock module under the passenger seat is replaced with new, do my two fobs have to be reprogrammed?
Old 05-08-2015, 01:14 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Disregard...Misread problem statement.

...to your final question, I say yes, as rhis unit contains the coded eprom in a PCB.

Last edited by nine9six; 05-08-2015 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:40 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Normal operation with a strong remote battery should require only one click, no matter how much time has passed since the door was locked.

According to the owner's manual, the only time you should have to push the remote button twice to unlock the car is if you unlocked the car, didn't open the door, and the car automatically re-locked itself and re-armed the drive block. At that point, unlocking requires pushing the button on the remote twice.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:48 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Terry,

Thanks for the info. I didn't see that
in the owners manual but it may be the
issue that's puzzling me. I'll check the
fob operation both ways but I think you
got it. Thanks a million.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Odd Door Lock Behavior - Tech Question