993 Forum 1995-1998

95 C4 3.8 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 08:11 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 348 Posts

I used the RSR Mahles, the 109mm bases have a more robust seal that the 3.6 and bore in 107's lack. The big bores push a lot of air around internally, the GT3 runs the cc below atmospheric as an even better solution but needs the GT3 oil pump, special seals and a special breather valve. The RSR's also have nifty l/w tapered bore wrist pins, every gram you save in reciprocating weight is critical. If you can get the sets w/ asymmetrical wristpin o/s that is a +, I have the old symmetrical ones they are supposed to have more piston slap but I haven't noticed it, maybe if I could hear both sets side buy side it would be more obvious.

a friend has a supercharger kit on his track only 993, got to admit that it is very nice w/ a unique sound, the only problem was a spin that blew the intake off the engine, but I have seen that on n/a too.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:03 PM
saneproductions
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911

Seriously, I'm not feeling it with how you've described what a shop is telling you, your questions, and it's translating in the thread. Talk to Steve Weiner, pretty much end of story.

I've got what everyone proposes for their car, and it came to nearly $80K in 2003 for the guy who had the car and spent the money.
I appreciate your thoughts and opinion, thank you. My shop is great and a lot of my questions including about high rpm and displacement increase are definitely not coming from them. They do top work on tons of projects from GT3 RS 4.0 builds to all things air cooled. I take full responsibility for any ignorance here and chock it up to too much late night internet research.

I am definitely going for the bore in 3.8 P and C per your recc and the case work is not much more anyway and I want to be safe.

I will also keep the redline 6800 per your note.

What else, specifically is bothering you about the build?
Old 05-04-2015, 08:38 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts

Subscribed
Old 05-04-2015, 08:59 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Subscribed as well.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:30 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lots of good advice here...

If you raise the rev limit to 7k, then a set of ARP bolts are all that you will need.

To go above, even just a little there is alot of extras that need to be adjusted, and with that the cost really sky rockets, as you start to touch more and more of the engine.

A 7500 rpm engines as you eluded to is really going to need rods, valve springs, retainers etc, GT3 Crank, GT3 Oil pump etc. All these are necessary to keep the engine in one piece and have a decent life expectance for it. However to make use of the extra RPM you need cams, and probably a set of solid rockers as the Cams that will work at the higher RPM won't work with the hydraulic rockers.

Even the RS cams are really only good for 7000 rpm MAX.

You also run into issues with the plastic intake, these start to run into a supply issue at higher RPM in larger capacity engines. I was finding it really limited my engine's top end power, I am at 4.0l which is a big jump from the 3.8 set (almost 250 CC larger than a RS 3.8)

The other issue you then face is fuel delivery etc, stock injectors are just not up to the task, we even found issue with some 36lb Injectors (Stock are approx 26lb).

Now you are looking at starting to go beyond the ability of the stock ecu to manage the fuel etc.

The slope is near vertical, I know.... Been there done that and still sliding.......
Old 05-04-2015, 10:10 PM
saneproductions
Racer

Originally Posted by aclark133
Subscribing. Need to see if you actually follow through with 3.8, I'm a dreamer too. Although I do have a supercharger waiting to go in. Maybe I should do 3.8 supercharged
Just ordered the parts today and taking the car in on Monday the 11th for the tear down. Hoping it will be done in time for 993 fest! Photos and videos to follow.

I updated the main post to reflect the new build, but in short:
I am keeping the stock rods with ARP bolts
I am going for the 109 P and C set and doing the case work
I am keeping the stock redline
I am going for uprated valve springs (but not titanium or anything)
Sticking with the RS hydraulic cams

Thanks for your help and comments all! Feel free to throw out any other ideas for while you are in there stuff
Old 05-04-2015, 11:54 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike - Hoping the build is done in time to see you at 993Fest!

Matt
Old 05-05-2015, 03:28 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Curious to know the thinking behind
Originally Posted by saneproductions
I am going for uprated valve springs (but not titanium or anything)
if you are doing the following;

Originally Posted by saneproductions
I am keeping the stock redline

Sticking with the RS hydraulic cams
???
Old 05-05-2015, 03:34 AM
saneproductions
Racer

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Curious to know the thinking behind

if you are doing the following;

???
Per my research, this is to help prevent valve float and also to give me a little extra protection. The cost of the springs is not much compared to new stock springs. Not sure if it is worth it, but I don't want to skimp on such a small thing. That said, obviously I am not the expert. Here to learn from you guys and search the forum for the great info here.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:41 AM
saneproductions
Racer

Originally Posted by mgerber
Mike - Hoping the build is done in time to see you at 993Fest!

Matt
I think it will happen again this year, it is a really great event

Last edited by saneproductions; 05-05-2015 at 04:04 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:01 AM
saneproductions
Racer

Originally Posted by trophy
Lots of good advice here...

If you raise the rev limit to 7k, then a set of ARP bolts are all that you will need.

To go above, even just a little there is alot of extras that need to be adjusted, and with that the cost really sky rockets, as you start to touch more and more of the engine.

A 7500 rpm engines as you eluded to is really going to need rods, valve springs, retainers etc, GT3 Crank, GT3 Oil pump etc. All these are necessary to keep the engine in one piece and have a decent life expectance for it. However to make use of the extra RPM you need cams, and probably a set of solid rockers as the Cams that will work at the higher RPM won't work with the hydraulic rockers.

Even the RS cams are really only good for 7000 rpm MAX.

You also run into issues with the plastic intake, these start to run into a supply issue at higher RPM in larger capacity engines. I was finding it really limited my engine's top end power, I am at 4.0l which is a big jump from the 3.8 set (almost 250 CC larger than a RS 3.8)

The other issue you then face is fuel delivery etc, stock injectors are just not up to the task, we even found issue with some 36lb Injectors (Stock are approx 26lb).

Now you are looking at starting to go beyond the ability of the stock ecu to manage the fuel etc.

The slope is near vertical, I know.... Been there done that and still sliding.......
Wow! This is all really great info! It is exactly what I was reading about, but all in one place! I am trying to lay a good foundation that I can continue to work on for years to come, potentially adding more on the intake/ECU side later per some comments in this thread. I am also going to do a re-gear and LWFW in stage 2.

Bottom line, the extra torque will be welcome.

I did explore the larger 3.9-4.0 P and C but it is a whole other world up their with rods, titanium springs and retainers, updated bearings, GT3 oil pump, oiling mods, GT3 crank, lumpy solid lifter cams, better injectors, intake, ECU, ITB, 9M Heads etc etc in the 30k++ build range lots of things happen very fast. My build is mostly stock with a few key mods and not that much more than a standard rebuild. I don't care much about the cost difference because it is what I want and I will have a brand new motor I don't need to worry about.

Thanks again for all this info and sharing your story and experience.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:28 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

hmm, your build feels a bit conflicted.

I'm not necessarily sure what i'd change, but i'd probably either further to the race end or stay with a stock displacement and some head/cam work.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:18 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

^ Agreed. It has been shown that a properly rebuilt 3.6 with head and cam work performs very close to a 3.8L.

I would put the rest of the money into a gearbox regear and rock it for the next 120K miles or if get bored in 50K miles, then add a supercharger.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:39 PM
saneproductions
Racer

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
hmm, your build feels a bit conflicted.

I'm not necessarily sure what i'd change, but i'd probably either further to the race end or stay with a stock displacement and some head/cam work.
I am going 3.8 for sure, what would you add to what I am doing?

Planning:
3.8 bore in 109 P and C
RS cams and better springs
Head work (port and polish, new valve seats)
Stock rods with arp rod bolts
Oil pump mods
Main bearings and rod bearings
IMS shafts
Oil thermostat
Misc Etc per stock rebuild
Chip
Clutch kit with master and slave cylinders

Phase 2
Re-gear
AASCO LWFW
Etc.

Possible Phase 3
Intake
ECU
Tuning
Old 05-05-2015, 01:04 PM
saneproductions
Racer

Originally Posted by chsu74
^ Agreed. It has been shown that a properly rebuilt 3.6 with head and cam work performs very close to a 3.8L.

I would put the rest of the money into a gearbox regear and rock it for the next 120K miles or if get bored in 50K miles, then add a supercharger.
Thanks for your thoughts here. Just to be clear we are doing a full proper rebuild as you would with the 3.6 plus the head and cam work, we are also adding displacement as well and using the good Mahle bore in stuff.
I am not hung up at all on the extra cost for P and C and case work. Also I am going to do a re-gear within the next year or two as well.

What specific parts outside of what I list do you think are needed?

This is a street car with the stock redline to be used as our daily driver.

Quick Reply: 95 C4 3.8 build