Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

1996 993 key remote does not work

Old 05-05-2018, 02:43 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
Interesting! They claimed that their unit had a significant range improvement over the Porsche original remote.
I got one from ecu doctors as well and I do notice the range has improved about 5 feet. Considering the original range was more like 3 feet, and now with the ecu doctors remote an additional 5 feet for a total of 8 feet, technically, it is a significant improvement.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:16 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Before throwing good money on the issue. The fob battery may still be no good. Buy a new one and check it that it is not new old stock. Also disconnect your car's battery and reconnect it to reboot the system before going the high dollar route. Clean the battery connections on your fob. I would buy a 2nd new fob first and mate it to your car then in sequence remate your existing fob. If, when and how the mating process fails will give away if your problem is with the fob or the system in the car.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
key fob setup procedure-11-1.pdf (230.9 KB, 216 views)
Old 05-05-2018, 04:34 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would also attempt to re-pair the fob with the unit before getting a whole new unit. If something at the fob has changed the signal characteristics, or something on the unit has changed how the signal is received, the fob may "look" different to the unit than previously, which would exhibit the "light's on, no one's home" symptoms. A re-pair may buy you a bit more time.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:39 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks for all the comments guys...much appreciated.

Ill run through some of the things mentioned and report back. May be a couple weeks, but stay with me.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Todynot

Thanks for comment...

It doesn’t seem like the fob is communicating at all with the car. No clicks, nothing. My car is essentially dead until I figure this out. Is the CLM embedded in immobilizer or a separate unit that can be changed independently?

To be thorough, I’ll buy new fob batteries and check car battery voltage today.

Thanks again.
You need to check the fuse in the central locking ECU (CLM). Overvoltaging, e.g. battery charger/alternator, or incorrect battery jumping can damage that ECU.
That ECU is very reliable and rarely if ever fails, except when water damage occurs or voltage problems.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
You need to check the fuse in the central locking ECU (CLM). Overvoltaging, e.g. battery charger/alternator, or incorrect battery jumping can damage that ECU.
That ECU is very reliable and rarely if ever fails, except when water damage occurs or voltage problems.
Loren - Is the fuse in the unit itself? Does the seat need to be removed to access?
Old 05-06-2018, 01:50 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

I changed the fob battery with a new one (measured it at 1.5 volts, so it was good) and cleaned the contacts. No difference; The car completely ignored the fob.

I then removed the car battery and cleaned the terminals with a wire brush. While the battery is almost 9 years old, and I’ll probably buy a new one, it did measure at almost 13 volts when I reinstalled it fresh from a short hookup with the battery tender. Tightened everything up, installed the key into ignition and turned for a minute. Took key out, pushed fob button and everything seemed normal again. Idled the car for a minute or two, then went for a 10 mile drive.

Not sure if this fixes it permanently, but that’s the status. I’ll see it works tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:30 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I changed the fob battery with a new one (measured it at 1.5 volts, so it was good) and cleaned the contacts. No difference; The car completely ignored the fob.

I then removed the car battery and cleaned the terminals with a wire brush. While the battery is almost 9 years old, and I’ll probably buy a new one, it did measure at almost 13 volts when I reinstalled it fresh from a short hookup with the battery tender. Tightened everything up, installed the key into ignition and turned for a minute. Took key out, pushed fob button and everything seemed normal again. Idled the car for a minute or two, then went for a 10 mile drive.

Not sure if this fixes it permanently, but that’s the status. I’ll see it works tomorrow.
Great that you got this fixed however...

If the battery measured at 1.5 volts, it is completely dead. An A21/23 battery for our remotes is 12 vdc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=a21%...obile&ie=UTF-8
Old 05-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

^^^ Right...it measured about 12.5 volts. I was screwing with a AAA and that was 1.5 volts. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:30 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Loren - Is the fuse in the unit itself? Does the seat need to be removed to access?
Yes, it's in the ECU. There's a good possibility that disconnecting the battery for awhile may have reset both the immobilizer & the alarm unit, resulting in the alarm system now functioning.
Also, using the charger with the battery disconnected may have helped too.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:39 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

"I then removed the car battery" "and I reinstalled it"
Rebooting the ECU by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it probably did the trick.
If this is the case you will likely not revisit the issue.
Andy
Old 07-30-2018, 03:38 PM
Taber
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar problem?

I think I may be having a similar issue. My 1995 C4 had a dead battery this week, after testing and replacing the battery my remotes no longer worked. I read through the forums regarding resetting the fobs, but it seems this isn’t my issue. Symptoms: doors do not lock/unlock using remote, alarm does not sound when locking/unlocking car manually, doors do not lock/unlock using center console switch, door lights come on when in on position but not just by opening the door. I read that the central locking module rarely goes bad, but maybe we fried the fuse when trying to jump the battery?
Old 07-30-2018, 05:11 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Taber
My 1995 C4 had a dead battery this week, after testing and replacing the battery my remotes no longer worked.doors do not lock/unlock using remote, alarm does not sound when locking/unlocking car manually, doors do not lock/unlock using center console switch, door lights come on when in on position but not just by opening the door. I read that the central locking module rarely goes bad, but maybe we fried the fuse.
Go ahead and check fuses, if your charger has an anti-sulfating cycle as many newer ones do, it may have exposed your car to overvoltage.
Also, when connecting a new battery at the moment it is connected a lot of electrical noise can be introduced into the system leaving the various controllers in a corrupted state. I would disconnect the car battery. Let it sit for a while, potentially clearing controller issues, reconnect it and see if it solves your problem.
The following users liked this post:
DES993 (08-26-2019)
Old 10-21-2018, 01:12 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Need Help Please:

Hi All,
Having a very difficult time with this issue.
Have read through several threads and honestly don't know how to proceed at this point.
Appreciate any help, particularly in a step-wise approach.

Here's the situation:
Fobs (I have 2) no longer working to lock & unlock doors (they worked perfectly last week).
Door LED lights are blinking in couplets.
Key fobs are new as of 5/2015 and I replaced the key fob batteries today.
Car has been maintained on a CTEK charger and all lights on dash as well as alarm horn are working.
But, car battery is several years old. Perhaps I should replace the car battery with new?
(As a side question: what do you all recommend for a battery and where to purchase?)

I have read that the code to program the immobilizer is the last 4 digits of the immobilizer serial number.
Which number on the immobilizer is the serial number? Is the immobilizer located under the driver's seat?
How else to get the code? Call dealer and give them VIN?

I can't start the car.
Should I simply have it flat-bedded to the dealer and have them fix it?

Thanks
-Dave
Old 10-21-2018, 08:21 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

^^^ I’m convinced all my troubles were due to a weak car battery, which I ended up changing and everything’s fine. If your battery is getting old, get a new one before going crazy with the other stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 993 key remote does not work