Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Old School Thoughts - Side Script and Zuffenhaus Fuchs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:45 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Old School Thoughts - Side Script and Zuffenhaus Fuchs?

I have this posted in the thread about decals, but figured the ask is different enough to warrant a new thread.

After seeing SilverSurfer’s car with the ghosted early style Porsche side script I have been thinking about changing mine a bit to look more old school. The two things that are most intriguing to me are doing the early style side script logo (pictures attached) which I can get from Bob Tilton at Werk Crew, and replica RSR style Fuchs. I was thinking the black side script would look best on the GR car.

I was hoping someone or a few folks out there have some pictures in their stash of 993s with one or the other (or both the side script and replica RSR style Fuchs). I realize the silver car above in f1ava's post has the gold side script with the gold replica Fuchs, but the look I am thinking about will hopefully be more old school. I have seen a bunch of pictures of 964s and 993s with the Fuchs replicas, but all are finished with black centers and most have polished lips. Lots of older 911 pics with the RSR style finishes, but I was really hoping to see them on a NB993. Much appreciated!

BTW - anyone know how heavy the replica Fuchs RSRs are? Was thinking 18" which is the same size as the 993GT3 two piece wheels I am currently running, but then again the 17" will probably look more authentic. Although the car is set up for street/track use I am thinking about limiting its use to street touring only at this point going forward, so I am not too worried about moving back to 17"s.
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2015, 10:13 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't buy the Zuff fuchs... Not very good proportions in my opinion.

Go with the Fikse Fuchs. All the big guys use them, including Singer.

Some guys are taking flak over the retro look, but I say go for it if you like it.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:29 PM
Sam P
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also like the retro look - not my car but nice wheels :

Sam
Old 03-26-2015, 10:59 PM
mgerber
Pro

Originally Posted by jstyer

Some guys are taking flak over the retro look, but I say go for it if you like it.
I checked the Fikse site a couple of days ago and it states the Fikse wheels are a collaboration between Zuffenhaus and Fikse (in order to improve manufacturing turns and quality). So it sounds like they teamed up (?).

Originally Posted by Sam P
I also like the retro look - not my car but nice wheels :

Sam
Thanks Sam - exactly what I was looking for. Hard to tell if those are 17"s or 18"s from the picture. My guess is 18's? BTW - did not realize that was your car in the original post I was looking at. Nice.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

that black car ^ is really the only 993 ive thought looked good with fuchs. that car looks amazing.

on 993 s usually dont care for the side script because most of the time its mounted up too high. but if you get the positioning right on a car like that black one it will be perfect.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:57 AM
Christian J
Racer

Fikse makes them and Zuffenhaus can order them for you. Same wheels. Mine (17") are off the car right now so I'll weigh them over the weekend. I heard from Weidman, who does the RSR finish that they currently had a wait of 4+ months. Contact Alan Bayliss at Fikse for info, he was great to deal with.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:20 AM
G-MASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not the format you were looking for but I'm still trying to work out a Carrera script that sits low enough on the 993. I think I'll do something very similar to this on mine (colors TBD), and with a "4" at the end for mine. This design embraces the door shut line across the bottom and anchors the text nice and low. Because the NB cars wrap under the body I think they wear these graphics even better.

I would have said 993 + Fuchs = wrong... but this one pops. To my eye 1989 was the last year a traditional Fuchs wheel looked "right". The 993 is somewhat "ageless" and the looks so current with modern wheels. The Fuchs look tries to pull the 993 lines into "vintage" and it just does not look old enough...
Old 03-27-2015, 01:20 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christian J
Fikse makes them and Zuffenhaus can order them for you. Same wheels. Mine (17") are off the car right now so I'll weigh them over the weekend. I heard from Weidman, who does the RSR finish that they currently had a wait of 4+ months. Contact Alan Bayliss at Fikse for info, he was great to deal with.
Show's what I know... Those are definitely the handsome ones!
Old 03-27-2015, 01:21 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 405
on 993 s usually dont care for the side script because most of the time its mounted up too high.
THIS!
Old 03-27-2015, 03:09 AM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 122 Posts

Matt- Usually you and I are on the same page but in this instance our tastes diverge. For me IB cars are the last ones that look good on Fuch's. I don't even like the 17" Fuch reps on these cars, the proportions on the pedals is just not quite right when you stretch that extra inch and its even worse on the 19" versions (can't recall seeing an 18"). As you know I am a sucker for Fikse quality, so that will be good but I think as someone above said the 993 body is just too modern to go backwards with (either script or Fuchs).

Maybe I need to sell you an IB car you can go retro with...
Old 03-27-2015, 08:19 AM
keith
Drifting

Originally Posted by jstyer

Originally Posted by mgerber
I checked the Fikse site a couple of days ago and it states the Fikse wheels are a collaboration between Zuffenhaus and Fikse (in order to improve manufacturing turns and quality). So it sounds like they teamed up (?).

Thanks Sam - exactly what I was looking for. Hard to tell if those are 17"s or 18"s from the picture. My guess is 18's? BTW - did not realize that was your car in the original post I was looking at. Nice.
Originally Posted by Christian J
Hi guys. Just to clarify; all of the above are our Zuchs product - licensed to and manufactured by Fikse for us and featured prominently on the Singer 911s. They are available ONLY through the Fikse dealer network, and we (Zuffenhaus) often advise on fitment, etc and assist folks with their order placement. In these cases, we work directly with Alan Baylis at Fikse and can't recommend him enough.

Zuchs, Fikse ZFs, Singer Wheels; we don't care what you call them, we just care that you like them

Any Zuchs that has been manufactured and sold prior to 2015 is a 17" wheel, and the weights are typically within a pound of the 16" original Fuchs they replicate (for instance, the 17x11 Zuchs wheel is typically within a pound of the weight of the 16x9 Fuchs.)

Check it out: http://zuffenhaus.us/wordpress/?p=1171

Those of you that know how light and strong the Fuchs are, vs. the weight and softness of the later factory cast wheels will appreciate where that puts the Zuchs against the later 911 wheels!

We're just now finalizing our 18" version for 2015 as there is has never been a correctly & historically proportioned option available for the 18" market (I modeled the design in 2011, and as with any quality-minded exercise, it has been a long road to fruition!) our goal was to make it as visually indistinguishable from the 17" as possible. (You guys are the first to hear this, btw.)

- I should have the first set in hand any day now, and will be happy to post photos if there is any interest?
Old 03-27-2015, 09:40 AM
mgerber
Pro

Originally Posted by keith
Hi guys. Just to clarify; all of the above are our Zuchs product - licensed to and manufactured by Fikse for us and featured prominently on the Singer 911s. They are available ONLY through the Fikse dealer network, and we (Zuffenhaus) often advise on fitment, etc and assist folks with their order placement. In these cases, we work directly with Alan Baylis at Fikse and can't recommend him enough.

Zuchs, Fikse ZFs, Singer Wheels; we don't care what you call them, we just care that you like them

Any Zuchs that has been manufactured and sold prior to 2015 is a 17" wheel, and the weights are typically within a pound of the 16" original Fuchs they replicate (for instance, the 17x11 Zuchs wheel is typically within a pound of the weight of the 16x9 Fuchs.)

Check it out: http://zuffenhaus.us/wordpress/?p=1171

Those of you that know how light and strong the Fuchs are, vs. the weight and softness of the later factory cast wheels will appreciate where that puts the Zuchs against the later 911 wheels!

We're just now finalizing our 18" version for 2015 as there is has never been a correctly & historically proportioned option available for the 18" market (I modeled the design in 2011, and as with any quality-minded exercise, it has been a long road to fruition!) our goal was to make it as visually indistinguishable from the 17" as possible. (You guys are the first to hear this, btw.)

- I should have the first set in hand any day now, and will be happy to post photos if there is any interest?
Thanks Keith and would love to see the pictures of the 18"s. I will reach out to Alan at Fikse next week.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:45 AM
mgerber
Pro

Originally Posted by nathan1
Matt- Usually you and I are on the same page but in this instance our tastes diverge. For me IB cars are the last ones that look good on Fuch's. I don't even like the 17" Fuch reps on these cars, the proportions on the pedals is just not quite right when you stretch that extra inch and its even worse on the 19" versions (can't recall seeing an 18"). As you know I am a sucker for Fikse quality, so that will be good but I think as someone above said the 993 body is just too modern to go backwards with (either script or Fuchs).

Maybe I need to sell you an IB car you can go retro with...
If that's the case I may need to buy that storage building we talked about. This small inner city garage stuff is killing me...

You may have to endure a 993 with the Zuchs at 993Fest if this keeps going
Old 03-27-2015, 11:36 AM
Kaefer
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mgerber
Thanks Keith and would love to see the pictures of the 18"s.
X2.

I've been working out the specs of my next set of wheels and my calculations are showing that I should go with 18" wheels. I'll be in the market in the very near future for a set of 9.5" and 10.5" wheels.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:53 AM
sand_man
Drifting

see post #13 for yet another "Fuch" option (Braid):
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...els-tires.html

Quick Reply: Old School Thoughts - Side Script and Zuffenhaus Fuchs?