Scissor Lifts: Bendpak MD-6XP vs. Dannmar Cadet 6000XL

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 06:05 PM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Scissor Lifts: Bendpak MD-6XP vs. Dannmar Cadet 6000XL

Hi Guys,

I've made my decision to get a scissor lift over a 2 post based a quite a few variables but now I would like to hear from you guys if there are any significant differences between the Bendpak MD-6XP and Dannmar Cadet 6000XL?

I've done a bunch of searching and reading and can find a lot of info on 2 post vs. scissor but not much comparing these two scissor lifts.

This all got brought on by a Costco email that "advertised" the Cadet for regular price. lol

I know that for an engine and tranny drop I would need to mod the Bendpak, is that also the case for the Dannmar? Any other opinion or recommendations?

Eventually the plan is to build a nice recessed concreted slab for it with a conduit for the cabling but for now raised planks will have to do.

Thanks!!
Old 03-26-2015, 07:32 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't speak to the difference between the two but I have a Atlas scissor lift that was purchased through Greg Smith. It is a fine lift and works well on my 993, however I have several other cars that the lift did not have the span to lift from the jack points. I ended up sourcing Bendpak lift arms which where longer and all is well with the world. It cost me $450 as Bendpak parts have a similar mark-up as Porsche.

So if you plan on lifting other vehicles with your lift do your research now. Just like you are doing. My a couple of cars that were not compatible were very common cars Honda Accord and a Subaru Legacy.

I also planned on placing mine in a recess too, but found I like the portable nature of the scissor lift.

Good luck, you will love having a lift!

Johnny
Old 03-26-2015, 10:03 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Grrrrrrr.... Now that I have seen the Dannmar one at Costco I may have to buy myself one..... Again Grrrrrrr.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:12 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_law
I can't speak to the difference between the two but I have a Atlas scissor lift that was purchased through Greg Smith. It is a fine lift and works well on my 993, however I have several other cars that the lift did not have the span to lift from the jack points. I ended up sourcing Bendpak lift arms which where longer and all is well with the world. It cost me $450 as Bendpak parts have a similar mark-up as Porsche.

So if you plan on lifting other vehicles with your lift do your research now. Just like you are doing. My a couple of cars that were not compatible were very common cars Honda Accord and a Subaru Legacy.

I also planned on placing mine in a recess too, but found I like the portable nature of the scissor lift.

Good luck, you will love having a lift!

Johnny
Details on this?

Where Did u get the arms? Which arms?
Did u ever figure out the new weight rating?
Old 03-27-2015, 12:11 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I love my Bendpak-had it about 10 years now. Best tool I own. Can't go wrong with BP, IMO.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:25 AM
Johnny_law
Pro

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
Details on this? Where Did u get the arms? Which arms? Did u ever figure out the new weight rating?
New weight rating by my calculations is 4500 lbs. I purchased the arms straight from Bendpak. Like I said they were ~$450. The only issue and it is a big one is that the threaded shaft on the Bendpak arms are shorter. Therefore you can't use the Locating Washers that are on the Atlas Lift. Also the threads, although I get full thread contact, don't allow the stud to protrude leaving no visual engagement of the nut. I have used Locktite and have made it a maintenance check item to be sure the nuts have not loosened.

For that reason I can't recommend it to the masses but I'm using mine and it made my Atlas lift 1000 times more useful.

Johnny
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2015, 09:38 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good work, thanks Johnny
Old 03-27-2015, 11:05 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

The Atlas TDM-6R I got from Greg Smith Eqpt, looks like a Bend PAC twin. I've had mine for 5 years, and have used it to lift multiple vehicles. Actually, my Subie Crosstrek, is the biggest PITA to lift. An extremely handy tool for lots of basic maintenance type things, makes detailing easier too.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:24 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd recommend metal strips under the wheels. My first garage, where I did multiple car projects, started to get troughs worn into the concrete. I've got 14 ga pieces of S/S for them to roll on.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:31 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts

Not to be contrarian (I considered a scissor lift too), but I have been very happy with 2 post MaxJac I got from Costco. Use it on 993, BMW X5, and Smart fortwo, so full range of reach and weight. It is portable, but requires bolt installation on the floor (and proper garage floor rating)
Old 03-27-2015, 11:42 AM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

I also have the Atlas TDR 6000 lift, I also ran into the "short arm" problem last week for the first time on my daughter's new Civic. The arms reached but just.

I also second the idea of laying metal / aluminum under the steel rolling wheels, I sourced mine off of ebay. I recessed mine into the floor, the link to my write up:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ssor-lift.html

Knowing what I know now, I would go this route instead:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=228116
Old 03-27-2015, 11:46 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From reading the specs of the Dannmar Cadet 6000xl, they say "The arm assemblies have one of the widest range of movement in the industry"

And with all the other specs etc it looks like a worthy competitor to the Bendpac and Atlas units that seem to be the scissor lift mainstays.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I'd recommend metal strips under the wheels. My first garage, where I did multiple car projects, started to get troughs worn into the concrete. I've got 14 ga pieces of S/S for them to roll on.
I remember seeing you do this , very good idea.....
Old 03-27-2015, 02:11 PM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

Hey Steve,

The Costco ad is what got me thinking about this but after doing some digging I don't think it's currently on sale. I think they're just advertising it. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see when/if it goes on sale.

If there are enough people interested may be should look at a group buy?
Old 03-27-2015, 03:52 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I have noticed this as well. The steel sheets are on my list. I however have two places I use my lift and plan on taking it outside to clean the under bellies of the cars.

Ed thanks again for giving me the dimensions for your lift arms. Without them I would have been gun shy.

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
Good work, thanks Johnny
Remember, the decrease in load rating is when the lift is fully extended outward to the end of the new arms. My analysis was a delta based on moment induced loads increasing due to the extension. This assumes that the limiting factor in the original 6K load rating was due to the lift arms. This may or may not be the case.

When using the Bendpak arms and not extending outward any further than the original Atlas arms the rating would obviously be the same.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:35 PM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

I've done a little more digging and here are my results in terms of pricing for the Canadians that may be interested:

Atlas TD-6MR - $2,295.00 + tax + shipping (@ http://www.atlasautoequipment.ca)
BendPak MD-6XP - $2,195.00 +tax and shipped (@ www.babco.ca)
Dannmar 6000XL - $2,199.00 + tax and shipped (@ www.costco.ca)
$1,999.00 + tax picked up (@ www.princessauto.com)

I'm leaning toward the Dannmar unit from PA especially that since a few different sites have said that BendPak and Dannmar are actually the same company. That and I can just pick it up. Their return policy borders on being as good as Costco's as well.

Quick Reply: Scissor Lifts: Bendpak MD-6XP vs. Dannmar Cadet 6000XL