993 Forum 1995-1998

Interesting parts purchase experience at Hoehn Motors Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 07:02 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Interesting parts purchase experience at Hoehn Motors Porsche

Hoehn Motors is not where I usually purchase parts, but since I just needed only a few parts I decided to phone in an order to a dealer close to home.

Well, the order grew over time and I never questioned price, figuring the parts were small anyway.

Famous last words for me. When I got the bill, it seemed higher than normal, but I paid it.

In checking the parts prices with another Porsche dealer, I found the Hoehn prices were higher than Porsche MSRP (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price) by 25% to 30%.

I called Hoehn if there was a mistake and found that they don't go by Porsche's "MSRP" on parts. They told me the MSRP is a "suggested" list price, and they can charge what they want and that is their price.

Wow. Just sayin' here; you make up your own mind on that kind of customer treatment.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:55 PM
tonypai
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sunset Porsche
Old 03-06-2015, 08:57 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypai
Sunset Porsche
Old 03-06-2015, 09:21 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sunset or not, this has been practice since..........forever? When I operated the shop in Phoenix, I could charge dealer list and still tell customers I was 15% below the dealers in the area, then Scottsdale and Camelback.

(Back in those days we bought a quarterly price book for about $15 that listed cost/warranty/retail.)
Old 03-06-2015, 09:30 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
When I operated the shop in Phoenix, I could charge dealer list and still tell customers I was 15% below the dealers in the area, then Scottsdale and Camelback.

(Back in those days we bought a quarterly price book for about $15 that listed cost/warranty/retail.)
Back then, there was no Internet
Old 03-06-2015, 09:33 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Back then, there was no Internet
And somehow word got around.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:03 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
I called Hoehn if there was a mistake and found that they don't go by Porsche's "MSRP" on parts. They told me the MSRP is a "suggested" list price, and they can charge what they want and that is their price.
Not shocking. Pricing is how a Dealership tells you politely you are not their customer. Parts sales for most dealers is adjunct to in-warranty work where the customer is the warranty provider paying both parts and labor, in most cases being the OE. Most dealers only bother selling cars in the first place to fill the pipeline to their in warranty service bays. When a vehicle passes out of its warranty period getting service at the dealer becomes astronomically expensive. Again the Dealer telling the car owner through pricing that they are not their customer. You went the extra step and called them where they assured you that you are not their customer.

Andy
Old 03-06-2015, 10:03 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tonypai
Sunset Porsche
Of course Sunset is my usual source!!

That is my source of surprise here, I bought local for first time in years.

I just never expected to go from list Sunset -20% to list +30% at Hoehn.

NEVER again.

Word won't get around unless posted here and I suspect I won't order a GT4 there either.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:36 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

It's a shame I have a dealer 10 minutes away but order parts on the other side of the country. Sunset and FDM.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:00 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CupCar,
That's a bummer about Hoehn.

If you want to buy locally, try giving Tom a call over at TC's Garage in Vista. He's a great guy and his pricing is reasonable. Tom is a huge contributor to the PCA in San Diego and is happy to help you figure stuff out. He helped me source all of the components for my transmission rebuild.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:51 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

and I suspect I won't order a GT4 there either.
After that treatment, why would you? Dealership shortsightedness never ceases to amaze me!
Fortunately, Circle Porsche doesn't treat me that way, despite not having purchased a car from them. They do get my, I gotta have it now, quickie orders.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:07 AM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

This is a common problem I have seen with 90% of dealers (porsche and others). The disconnect between, sales, service and parts.
If I am happy with the purchase, I am more than likely to service my car. If I have a goodtogreat service, I am very happy and will continue and purchase more cars or parts!

Old 03-07-2015, 01:30 AM
ttw18
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised they were able to find the parts. I have found that the 'behind the counter parts guy' at dealerships to be knowledgeable about the key chains and floormats. One day I was at a BMW dealer to order a few parts for my E30 M3. He asked "what year and model?" I said "'88 M3". He says "they didn't make an M3 in '88, you probably mean '95".
Old 03-07-2015, 01:39 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Ok this is how it works: Dealers don't give a **** about anything or anybody, especially you and your 15+ year old car. Sales, parts and service have never been all on the same page regardless of ownership. I deal with dealers constantly and they make up their parts discounts by the minute and do nothing less than tell stories to sell cars. There are more fraud and kickback schemes going on there than you can ever imagine. Buy your parts from the discounters.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:44 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ttw18
I'm surprised they were able to find the parts. I have found that the 'behind the counter parts guy' at dealerships to be knowledgeable about the key chains and floormats. One day I was at a BMW dealer to order a few parts for my E30 M3. He asked "what year and model?" I said "'88 M3". He says "they didn't make an M3 in '88, you probably mean '95".
I always look up part numbers myself and order the number.

Quick Reply: Interesting parts purchase experience at Hoehn Motors Porsche