Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

SPLIT GRILL INSTALL

Old 02-28-2015, 06:09 PM
RBP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default SPLIT GRILL INSTALL

Well I ordered a split grill from Sunset and had it painted polar silver to match my car. It comes with the grills, a center divider and a frame. After removing the old one, I then attempted to install the new one and noticed the brackets that attach the grill to the moving arms are different. The new one is about a 1/2" wider between the brackets than the original one. Anyone know or have experienced something similar. I also noticed it is impossible to remove and reinstall the bolts without damage to frame as there is no way of getting a hex key in any orientation under the outer frame to drive the bolts.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:29 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try the Advanced Search Tool...and use "Split Grill Install" in a "titles only" search within the 993 forum. There appear to be 3 relevant posts...GLW install!
Old 02-28-2015, 06:41 PM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 260 Posts

I've found it fairly easy to get the hex key in, to all four fixing points.

I can't imagine what is wrong, so how about you post-up some photos?

This is a 'for other purpose' photo, but you are trying to put the hex-bolts in from out-to-in, yes?

ps Ottawa is one of my favorite places ever - say hi to the black squirrels for me
Old 02-28-2015, 09:51 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I ordered a split grille from Sunset today, so I'll be tacking this project shortly...look forward to seeing the responses to the OP's issue..

Not trying to hijack the thread, but it's still on topic...I did a search and it sounds like the adhesive is pretty brutal and the best way to separate the grille from the spoiler is patience and a taped flathead screwdriver-any other suggestions from those who have done it? Also, I haven't sourced an adhesive...the Porsche stuff seems ridiculously priced if it's still available-any suggestions on that?
Old 02-28-2015, 11:20 PM
Mike Pezely
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Below are instructions for the split grill install that Mike Cap sent to me for my install. Worked perfect.

The grill section (black insert) will come off without removing the whole spoiler assembly. There are a bunch of cheapo press on fasteners on the back and it is also glued in place.

I would cover the engine after the spoiler is extended. It will keep debris and tools, fasteners, etc from dropping somewhere you'll never find them.

1) Remove the fasteners with a small screwdriver or needle nose pliers. You will ruin them, so order new ones from Porsche. They slide up on a stud that is part of the grill.

2) Carefully start pulling up the grill. You may try some fishing line to 'break' the glue. Once the grill is our you'll have to clean up the adhesive. I think there are rubber strips in there as well. I cleaned those up and put back in place.

3) After I painted the grill I reinstalled it using GE black silicone adhesive. Once the fasteners pulled it down I closed the engine lid and put some weight on the grill over night.

In my case I ordered a new grill and fasteners before I started this project. The grill was painted and ready to go when I began. I'm pretty sure the original grill was a bit mangled by the time I got it off. If you are doing a body color repaint, I would buy a new grill before hand. Putting paint on a 15 year old plastic part is not a good idea. I don't think the grills are too expensive.

If you need help with part numbers let me know. You don't need to use the Porsche adhesive either.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:20 AM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

I would strongly recommend

1) extend the existing spoiler, and remove it with an allen key undoing the four hex-headed bolts - it takes just a few minutes - be careful of the paintwork obviously - and just slip the spoiler-wall off.

Then do any work on the spoiler OFF of the car, on a nice workbench.

2) Buy a new spoiler/surround as well - then you don't need to separate your current spoiler from the OE glued-on grill, and you can swop between the 2 spoiler types in minutes.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:36 AM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

...and you will need a reinforcement bar, that runs along the top inside, otherwise the floppier split grill will cause your spoiler to 'gap' at the top.

993 512 777 00 part number.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:34 AM
RBP
Instructor

The part from Sunset comes with the frame, centre support and the 2 grills all of which need to be painted. There is no requirement to disassemble the existing frame and grill, so no adhesive to remove.

I can't see how it's possible that the hex bolts for my grill frame assy are up and under the perimeter of the frame so that even the bent end of the hex key can't get in there. I have to pry/bend the frame up to get clearance using a cloth and big channel pliers.

The new part, frame that holds the grills is about .5" wider where the holes for the hex bolts positions are. Spacers or something is needed.

Also note the 1st pic is the original spoiler and the hex key isn't able to go straight in, it is at an angle as you see it. Again I see no way of doing this differently. I also noticed the diameter of the holes for the hex bolts in the new split grill frame are larger diameter so the existing bolts are too short (due to the extra width) and too small in diameter to fill the intended hole! Photo 2 is looking straight down at the new split grill where the hex bolts are located. As you can see they are also up under the frame.

Can't be the only one with this issue, my car is a 96 C2.

Last edited by RBP; 04-26-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:36 AM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RBP
The part from Sunset comes with the frame, centre support and the 2 grills all of which need to be painted. There is no requirement to disassemble the existing frame and grill, so no adhesive to remove.
I was answering VA993dreamer's question.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:40 AM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by orangecurry
....so how about you post-up some photos?
I'll pad this out a bit.

Why not post up some photos of your old spoiler/fixings, and the new spoiler and fixings.

Otherwise it's difficult to offer any pointers.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:11 PM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Old 03-01-2015, 04:14 PM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Sorry but the photo of the new grill is not helping.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:16 PM
RBP
Instructor

There is a photo of he old and new grill. The first one is the old grill and you can see the hex key is at an angle to get into the bolt. After close exam I noticed that there are bushings in the holes, so I removed these and installed them in the new grill. The bolts then were the right size. I also noticed that the old grill had more arch so to speak making it narrower where the side curtain fastening section is. After the bushings were in I re-installed the split grill and when tightning it pulled the grill in and arched the entire part so it's in and lookin good.

Hey Orange Curry, can you advise me on the 993 512 777 00? What if it wasn't installed? Would I need to take the entire thing apart or can I just add it now?
Also what is the length of the short section of the hex key? I will photo mine and show you but I would have to cut my key for it to fit like that.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:46 PM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

It's just a normal allen key.

You can fit the reinforcement bar without any disassembly, though it's best to remove the spoiler again as it's much easier to fit (affix with your favorite epoxy/glue/silicone) and then clamp it to dry for 24 hours.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:34 AM
RBP
Instructor

Ok, thought you noted it runs along the top inside. I was thinking that it's between the frame and the grills. Can you post a pic of your installed reinforcement bar? That would be most helpfull. Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SPLIT GRILL INSTALL