Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Who is interested in monoball Gt2/EVO-esque inner tie rods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:07 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
Interested, if made by somebody who knows what they are doing.
Matt is pretty serious when it comes to buying the right parts for his Beast... I would be absolutely comfortable with who ever he chooses..

If it is from either Rennline, Tarrett, ERP or Elephant (and I would suspect its one of these) it will be a quality product.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:32 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you can entice more people if you through in a bottle of that olive oil?
Old 03-01-2015, 02:54 PM
9MRSCS
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Put me up for à set.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Matt,
All the best in this foray into suspension part manufacture .... even though your success will seriously hack away at my monthly royalty check for the 'pinning mod'

As this is a complete assembly, it may be wise to have your legal beagle check into DOT compliance.

As an aside for any who may doubt the integrity of the pinning trick, read posts #33 - #38 of this thread - JoeMag did a stress test!
As for 'stress risers', radial drilling of ductile steel cylinders is not of general concern: also, the original rolled steel containment lip of the inner is untouched.
These comments are only for those who may have an impending concern about their mod.

If I had not done the 'pinning', I would be pleased to sign up for the new inner tie rod.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:17 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I upgraded my 964 front end to 993RS parts last season and happy with that. But two questions to you guys.

1 This "pinning" you do to your tie rods, what does it mean? (stupdid question probably).

2 Isn't the outer RS tie rod also a NLA part? Meaning you have to buy a complete tie rod if you want to replace just the outer part? So wouldn't it be a godd idea to make complete sets?

Thomas
Old 03-03-2015, 09:04 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
I upgraded my 964 front end to 993RS parts last season and happy with that. But two questions to you guys.

1 This "pinning" you do to your tie rods, what does it mean? (stupdid question probably).

2 Isn't the outer RS tie rod also a NLA part? Meaning you have to buy a complete tie rod if you want to replace just the outer part? So wouldn't it be a godd idea to make complete sets?

Thomas
2) the tie rod is only sold by Porsche as a complete outer + inner assembly, currently you can buy either the normal or the RS tierod assembly. The RS outer is the almost straight part that mates to the RS short arm wheel carrier, the RS inner is like the normal inner but has a stiffer rubber bush. The part that is nla from Porsche Motorsports is the Cup/RSR tierod assembly which consists of the same outer as the RS and an inner that has a uni-ball connection rather than rubber. I have several RS outers but am down to only the 1 uni-ball inner set that is now on the car. Replacement parts are always a concern on these antique cars.

1) do a search there are several thread on it.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:25 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasC2

Thomas
Not sure if this helps but the design is basically what you see here. By pinning the red inner pipe that extends from the base where the monoball is to the outer purple pipe which just slides over the red pipe and is encased in rubber (blue) to hold the two parts together you are making it one piece vs two and reduce any flex. It is still better than the old 911/964 style which has a massive rubber bushing.
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2015, 09:36 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
2) the tie rod is only sold by Porsche as a complete outer + inner assembly, currently you can buy either the normal or the RS tierod assembly. The RS outer is the almost straight part that mates to the RS short arm wheel carrier, the RS inner is like the normal inner but has a stiffer rubber bush. The part that is nla from Porsche Motorsports is the Cup/RSR tierod assembly which consists of the same outer as the RS and an inner that has a uni-ball connection rather than rubber. I have several RS outers but am down to only the 1 uni-ball inner set that is now on the car. Replacement parts are always a concern on these antique cars.

1) do a search there are several thread on it.
I was at tech tactics the other day and they were selling parts. They said I could buy the outer and inner 993 or RS style separately of course they are more money than buying the assembly. The RSR parts showed up as NLA.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:51 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I was at tech tactics the other day and they were selling parts. They said I could buy the outer and inner 993 or RS style separately of course they are more money than buying the assembly. The RSR parts showed up as NLA.
So it is, I also notice that the RS inner is the same as the normal inner in the current PET

I could swear that they were different in the older versions, maybe just my addled memory
Old 03-03-2015, 10:13 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
So it is, I also notice that the RS inner is the same as the normal inner in the current PET

I could swear that they were different in the older versions, maybe just my addled memory

You can pick up the inner for around $95 each, part number 99334713101. I checked it against the 2012 PET as well and it shows up this way. The inner appear to be the same for both the outer are different. Part number for tie rod assembly for RS ends in 81 vs 03 for stock 993. Interesting that the PET does not show the outer parts sold separately I did not have the part number and only inquired about stock 993 but they lead me to believe the outer can be purchased separately as well. The PET they used is different than what i am accustomed to seeing.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:59 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Matt, I have a buddy that would like a set too. Put me down for two if you move forward.

-Paddy
Old 03-03-2015, 04:00 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the info Cobalt.

And I follow you Bill. That's what I meant. I hav the RS tie rod but for a moment during my build I thought I would have to buy two more due to the mods I did but it eorked out in the end.

Thomas
Old 03-13-2015, 07:41 AM
mf_rsr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you would ship worldwide (UK) then I would be interested as going down the 993 RS wheel carrier route with my 964.

So my understanding is this: one half of the original EVO tie rod we can buy from porsche, the other half is NLA but a replica/ improved EVO version can be made...what's not to like?!

Fyi...it may be worth posting in the 964 forum as well to maximise interest...
Old 03-13-2015, 11:25 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

^ You can buy the outer RS tie rod from Porsche or you can buy an aftermarket one from ERP that has bump steer correction.

Building a list, keep 'em coming.

Thx,
MD
Old 03-13-2015, 12:30 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

This part is interesting - as long as a competent mechanical/automobile engineer has done the stress calcs to confirm the safety factor given it's a new part based on the materials, design and use. Our laws are different up here, but in the US I would be really cautious if I was a parts supplier taking on the liability of making a low volume part that, if it fails, can easily kill someone. I think that is why we see lots of suppliers making non-safety items (like floor boards, pedal sets, cup holders, etc), but much less making critical suspension parts ...

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Who is interested in monoball Gt2/EVO-esque inner tie rods?