Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Who is interested in monoball Gt2/EVO-esque inner tie rods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 04:35 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
I realize it's not weight bearing, but that ball joint does wear out, hence my question. Since it's not visible how the ball joint is made and how it compares to OEM it would be interestig to know how it's made.
Originally Posted by Nlu
I second this thought. There is a plastic cup that the ball joint rides on. Wear and/or deformation to the plastic (i.e. High steering load) would cause looseness in the linkage.

Also, the socket (portion that threads into the rack) is formed over the ball, and is subject to all of the tierod loads. If this retention is not strong enough, severe conditions (such as clipping a curb) could potentially pull the ball out of the socket, resulting in loss of steering.

I'm interested to know how the new parts compare to OE for socket retention strength.
You guys might not realize (if you haven't taken your stock steering linkage apart) that you already have a monoball connection with the existing inner tie rods. The slop is induced by the sliding construct in the barrel section attached to the monoball. See section pic below.

I can't speak to the engineering specifics but I know that Cary & Ira incrementally improved the design in terms of tolerances to anticipate inevitable wear from use.

I can only comment on anecdotal experience with both ERP and Tarett safety critical parts on my race cars.... I have no concerns about the design or material quality. There's a reason that I contacted Ira for this project

The only part failures I have experienced (a couple close calls) and witnessed (catastrophe) have been factory bits. IMHO you should be far more concerned - for track use - with the factory suspension components on your car that have gone through x-amount of stress/strain cycles.
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2016, 04:59 PM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Ok, here is list of RListers that expressed interest. Please confirm.

Ira will chime in with group buy pricing - this is going to be a one time deal that will reflect the Rennlist support that got this project off the ground

40 with stated interest for 41 pairs:

jdistefa (2 pairs)
Nlu
Phoneyman
911 F1
Paddy (2 pairs)
993KT
JStyer
Overboosted28
Trophy
Olub8uchkxp
Tosi
Cobalt
Jhg41977
Nyc993
Redlightrich
9MRSCS
Lowflying
Bill Verburg
Jbigelow
Saint-Vieux
Michel M.
Pcarrera993
Ironimages
Uniquenamehere
JPS
Silver Surfer
Mf_rsr
Jeff96-993
Siny993er
Bukowski
Kein_Ersatz
993khto
Jarg1
Spyerx
Orangecurry
S2k993
Il pirata
Ralfonso
Matt, PHoneyman -> Confirmed.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:06 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Confirm
Old 01-30-2016, 05:09 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Affirm!!!!
Old 01-30-2016, 07:15 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Confirm & thanks for the efforts on design and grp buy.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:36 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I would like to be added to the list. Thank you.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:45 AM
Jay J
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be interested in the group buy as well.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:52 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Page 8 list updated.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:18 AM
bukowski
Instructor

I'm confirmed and it looks like timing is going to be perfect for my suspension "freshening"
Old 01-31-2016, 11:26 AM
P906
Intermediate

Hi Matt,

do they send also outside USA (Europe) ?

If so, i am interested in these (1pair)....

Chris/Vienna/Austria
Old 01-31-2016, 11:36 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarett Engineering
We’ll also be offering a full EVO front upright kit, which will include the uprights, new bearings, bump steer adjustable outer tier rods, and the new RSR style inner tie rods. Please feel free to email or post any questions in the meantime, I will be happy to reply as best I can. Thanks again!

Ira
Ira,

This is tempting. I might be ready to make this change. Lets talk as you get closer to having these ready.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:58 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Ira,

This is tempting. I might be ready to make this change. Lets talk as you get closer to having these ready.
You know that you need it!
Old 01-31-2016, 12:05 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarett Engineering
Yes, it's a joint effort with ERP. Cary is a very talented suspension designer, and great to work with. I came up with the a design, but Cary had the idea and resources to do an close copy of the OEM part, so we went that route. It took a lot longer to do it that way, but I it think it was well worth it.

Ira
Has there been any effort to take into account the difference in the different lengths needed between the 964 and 993?

The 993 A arm places the wheel carriers 12.5mm more outboard on each side than on 964. This is due to differences on the longitudinal mounts. As a result the 964 w/ stock longitudinals will need a 12mm shorter tierod.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:21 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

List has been updated on page 8.

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Has there been any effort to take into account the difference in the different lengths needed between the 964 and 993?

The 993 A arm places the wheel carriers 12.5mm more outboard on each side than on 964. This is due to differences on the longitudinal mounts. As a result the 964 w/ stock longitudinals will need a 12mm shorter tierod.
Bill, short answer is no.

964 guys will have to go the whole way with 993 conversion of front end.

Originally Posted by P906
Hi Matt,

do they send also outside USA (Europe) ?

If so, i am interested in these (1pair)....

Chris/Vienna/Austria
Yes Chris, no problem.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:09 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
You guys might not realize (if you haven't taken your stock steering linkage apart) that you already have a monoball connection with the existing inner tie rods.

I can't speak to the engineering specifics but I know that Cary & Ira incrementally improved the design in terms of tolerances to anticipate inevitable wear from use.

I can only comment on anecdotal experience with both ERP and Tarett safety critical parts on my race cars.... I have no concerns about the design or material quality. There's a reason that I contacted Ira for this project

The only part failures I have experienced (a couple close calls) and witnessed (catastrophe) have been factory bits. IMHO you should be far more concerned - for track use - with the factory suspension components on your car that have gone through x-amount of stress/strain cycles.
Yep, has seen this pic many times and the question is exactly how that monobal compares to new one.

I'm glad that Tarret/ERP are behind the product but it would good to hear from them on this topic. It's a kind of an important joint for both longevity and ultimate strength so I hope you understand why some (maybe just me) might be interested in the topic.

My OEM inners did wear out causing the slop in that joint so I currently have brand new ones and would like to make sure I ask all the questions before I get a pair of the new ones along with another alignment.

Regardless, thanks for pulling this off and I don't mean to doubt the product.

Quick Reply: Who is interested in monoball Gt2/EVO-esque inner tie rods?