Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im confused on which cover to take off for more cooling. Was it the tranny or engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 02:09 PM
DannyboySmith
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dan / Flynn: I am ordering some extra resistors and relays as per recommendation of p-car. The "wing" does get hot which means the thermostat is working ok. I now have a good DIY project. This is my first 911 so I thought that was normal. Do you think I got some damage to my engine? thank´s for the reply.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:47 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Danny,

You're correct, your thermostat is probably working just fine but the fan (most likely) isn't.

As ou said, the "wing" gets hot which means thermostat opens but you need to check if the fan is working also.

Your symptoms are exactly what working thermostat, not working fan would be: hot enige while standing still (no air flow to the cooler), cool when running (you have air flow).

Search here and more from P-car & E.J.'s page for more info.

Since you weren't on red zone yet and probably didn't stay hot for that long I don't think you did any damage but check the fan or install manual switch for oil cooler fan (DIY at p-car.com).

BTW, I used to have few KTM dirt bikes, couple of 250's and one 600 cc thumper (what I beast! That's the one on avatar)
Old 09-04-2003, 05:31 PM
DannyboySmith
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. Flying Finn,
(Mr. because with all due respect not everyone can handle a 600 cc thumper beast !) Dirtbiking is great huh?? If you every come down here I´ll show you some awsome places (going up the volcanoes around México City). Thanks for the help and I keep you posted on what happens next on
my case of "out of order front cooler fan"....
See you around!!

Quick Reply: Im confused on which cover to take off for more cooling. Was it the tranny or engine