993 Forum 1995-1998

Need help Please!!!! Clutch pipe routing

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 09:54 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Need help Please!!!! Clutch pipe routing

Hello all, as I prepare to re-install my tip/manual conversion, I am at a loss as to which way the clutch fluid pipe routes.

I am speaking about the metal line that connects in the front of the trans "tunnel" on the left. It connects to the small pipe that comes out of the pedal area ( from M/C) and runs rearward and then connects to the slave hose.

The factory parts manual is no help, as it doesn't clearly depict the part or orientation. I have no frame of reference, as being a tip, it was not in there.

This info alone is preventing my re install. I am afraid that there may not be room to install it when a trans is in the way.

If anyone can find a pix showing it clearly, or if someone could take a pix or give a detailed explanation, I would be very grateful.

I spent all of last night google ing various titles trying to find it. All I can get is a glimpse of the front and rear, but not enough to understand.

Thank you

Rich
Old 02-22-2015, 12:33 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

... erroneous reply sorry

Last edited by pp000830; 02-22-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:54 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes the dealer will have better diagrams. It might be worth a trip to dealer parts dept armed with your vin number and ask for a quote with part numbers. of the parts you need. You would be surprised what some of them can figure out
Old 02-22-2015, 11:32 PM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ron, but my vin will come up to a TIP car that does not have a clutch line.

That is my issue, I am converting and have no reference point.

Thanks just the same

Rich
Old 02-22-2015, 11:54 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nevermind... Sorry, I was thinking of a different tube.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:34 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

wrong picture, see below

Last edited by Vorsicht; 02-23-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:18 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Here a RLer's (alex) website with some useful pictures for both pedal and rear...
http://edelweiss.smugmug.com/Cars/Po...5242&k=3k8Zftw

And the last four here:

http://edelweiss.smugmug.com/Cars/Po...7840&k=vtkJBws
Old 02-26-2015, 10:28 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

A big THANK YOU!!!!! To all who helped, especially Alex ( Ixlr8). With the pictures I was easily able to route the pipe. The little stud was even in the correct place for the clamp. Being the actual part ( pipe ) was on indefinate back order, I was able to take one from a Turbo ( 993 part number as opposed to starting with 964) and make it fit. It appears that the Turbo pipe is 1.5 inches longer being the motor is set back a bit.

This was a major concern of mine, but turned out well.

The car now has a manual transmission installed. I will continue to connect all items.

My last challenge is the Motronic, clutch switch for cruise, back up light and start circuit wiring.

I am hoping I have a running manual trans car in the next 2 weeks, as I am limited on time to work on it.

Thank you all again!!!!!!!!

Rich
Old 02-27-2015, 02:21 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Rennlist and it's members to the rescue.
What an awesome wealth of information!!!!!!

Rich, that is quite an undertaking. Hope you can do testing soon.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:40 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Rich, cool to see you taking this on!! I think you may be the only one on RL who's done this swap! Everything I've read on the subject has always pointed to "It's too labor intensive", or "That will cost you too much, might as well buy a 6speed to begin with"....

Post pics of your progress!!
Old 02-28-2015, 03:06 AM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by redlightrich
I am hoping I have a running manual trans car in the next 2 weeks, as I am limited on time to work on it. Thank you all again!!!!!!!! - Rich
Great work Rich! Sorry I couldn't help more.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:44 AM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 260 Posts

Hi Rich - sorry I'm too late to the party, but there is a body of opinion that suggests you should blank-off/remove the clutch-vent pipe anyway.

There wasn't an engineering requirement for 'suction-aided venting' when the clutch/housing/system was designed for the 964, and was almost certainly added for the 993 ONLY to 'reduce emissions' i.e. the dust from the clutch is fed back into the engine, via the air-filter, to be partially burned and partially caught by the air-filter.

I blanked mine off, about four years ago.

I don't want clutch elements force-fed into the engine thanks.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:49 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Rich, no worries, I realize you have a lot on your plate.

Curry, I was speaking about the hydraulic pressure line, but the MC reservour has me scratching my head. Brake fluid is hydroscopic, so why would you want to give it a chance to take water from the air? I am assuming there is some sort of check valve, but I can't see it yet. The vent hose goes towards the fuel fill pipe.

Yes, I blanked off the clutch to air cleaner vent. I don't want my motor breathing clutch particles. I actually have all the proper fittings on the trans, I just did not connect them to the air box. I guess if I want at regular service intervals, I can connect a vaccuum cleaner to the fitting while having the motor idle. This would remove some of the dust as the right side hose fitting is very close to the clutch rotating assembly. Sort of like windage tray tolerances. I will think about this.

As always thanks for the input. I will press on. I am hoping to have my TIP emerge as a proper 6 speed in the next few weeks, then I will document it so we have a good reference to it.
I searched, and only found one conversion documented, and I felt I needed more info than that offered.

Stay tuned.........
Old 02-28-2015, 10:02 AM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 260 Posts

Huge apologies Rich - I must skim-read less

Hats-off to you for taking-on that which everyone says 'don't do that....'
Old 03-01-2015, 02:45 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by redlightrich
My last challenge is the Motronic, clutch switch for cruise, back up light and start circuit wiring.
Did you figure out the wiring change required to switch your existing MY95 ECU into tiptronic mode?

Quick Reply: Need help Please!!!! Clutch pipe routing