993 Forum 1995-1998

3rd Brake Light Repair Thank You

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 09:54 AM
RJKK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3rd Brake Light Repair Thank You

Finally found some time to repair my 3rd brake-light (96-C4 - typical broken connector issue) and just want to send a quick "Thank-You" to all the DIY posters on this issue. It's a simple fix but you do have to pay attention to what you are doing. - The search tool is your friend!!

In the spirit of giving back, when I was ready to pull the leads from the light through the window sealant, I found using a small curved vascular clamp to be the perfect tool. From inside I worked the clamp through the hole I made (hit the clamp end with some WD40 etc...) so it protruded on the opposite side. I propped the clamp open with the end of a screw driver. Place the light leads in the clamp (the clamp isn't wide open so there's enough pressure to hold them) and then close the clamp and work the clamp and wires back through the hole. The benefit of the clamp is its curved and works around the glass and you don't have to fight keeping the thing closed while you work the leads through the hole. Got it done on the first try.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Quick Reply: 3rd Brake Light Repair Thank You