Sponsored by:

Pretty Big Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 10:52 PM
Fastatlast
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pretty Big Oil Leak

I've searched the archives and found lots of references about small oil leaks but I think my problem may be a little more serious.
After being away for a week, I went out to the garage and found about a 3 foot diameter oil stain on the floor coming from the right side of the engine. It was a slow but steady drip coming off the heat exchanger. Starting the engine had no effect on the drip.
The oil level and pressure was good so I made it to my repair shop OK but I'm very worried about what he might tell me.
Has anyone had this problem? Can it be the valve cover seal? Me and my wallet are really scared....
It's a 95 C2 Cab with 60,000 miles
Thanks for any input offered.
Kt
Old 08-27-2003, 12:10 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I would think that it is more than likely an oil return tube o-ring. It would be odd to see one fail completely and leak so bad, but it does happen. Even so, there are replacements that can be put in place WITHOUT removing the heads as the dealer would normally try to do. The replacements are aluminum and accordian in place and lock with a circlip. These work better than stock, and are around $45 each if I recall.

good luck...
Old 08-27-2003, 01:00 AM
YellowC4S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or, you could be like me and have had your oil changed recently and the drain plug not tightened...
Old 08-27-2003, 01:25 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Kt:

Not to worry; its likely a loose engine oil filter or the oil pressure sending unit.

The former is easy to resolve but the latter one is tougher to get at.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:51 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Hmmmm. Steve, I would think that coming off the heat exhanger might be more related to the oil tubes. For an oil filter, it had have to drain down and back to the heat exchanger. With the ridges on the rubber causing a natural spot for dripping, I would think that it would not get back that far.

Either way Kt, hopefully it is easy to fix...
Old 08-27-2003, 02:01 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Well Bob,......it can be a lot of things but if Kt cleans everything off very thoroughly with brake cleaner, he'll be able to locate the source pretty easily.

Given the 60K on the engine, there are many sources of oil leaks,.... Oil migrates enough on these motors that one should look at many things, not simply what is just above a puddle.

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 08-27-2003 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:25 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When was the last time you had an oil change?

If recently, all the above what Steve & Bob suggest sound even more likely (somone forgot to tighten enough...)
Old 08-27-2003, 11:52 AM
David C
Intermediate

I had a similar problem... turned out to be seal/gasket on power steering pump. Made quite a puddle.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:37 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

David - I had the same problem. How was your issue fixed? In my case, the entire hydraulic pump was pulled and replaced (at a pretty penny - although PCNA picked up half of the cost).

Kt - as an aside - if it is the hydraulic pump leaking you should be able to tell the difference in the fluid. If you can capture some of it before it hits the ground - it is a bit greenish.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:22 PM
David C
Intermediate

ZCAT3
Don't really recall... think just new gasket. Wasn't much money. Maybe it just didn't seem like much because I had PSS-9 install, tune-up/service, brakes all done at same time.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:36 PM
Fastatlast
Track Day

Default Problem solved

Turns out it was a warped valve cover/gasket problem- a $400 fix. I guess I have to say "nothing major" although I guess lowering the suspension will have to wait a while...

Thanks very much for all the input. Does this mean I have oil tube/sending unit/hydaulic pump stuff to worry about for the future??

Oh well, still love my 993!

Kt

Quick Reply: Pretty Big Oil Leak