Sponsored by:

Completed 1st DIY oil and TRX fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 02:28 PM
jhb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Completed 1st DIY oil and TRX fluid change

Well, I finally did my 1st 2 DIY's on the car. Followed the direction from P-car.com and was successful with only a few mishaps and a question or two.

I did the trx first and the magnetic plug had a reasonable amount of shavings (21k miles on the car) and some sludge, but generally clean. I replaced with Mobil1 75w-90 gear oil. Did not really notice the difference afterwords.

The drain and fill plugs were a B'ch to get loose, especially with the car about 4 inches above me. I hit the ratchet with a light hit from my small sledge hammer to break them. No problems after that.

However, Robin's direction did not specify a torque setting to replace these plugs at. Anyone know? I just tightened them up good and tight.

The oil mishap took place when emptying the reservoir. I put my oil collector bucket under the drain hole but the jack stand was in my way. Looked OK, and worked fine until the flow slowed and the last quart missed the pan. Had to run out and get some clay Cat Litter to clean up that mess.

I was not going to replace the filters, just defer them until next time, as they seemed a pain, but decided to anyway. Removed the oil return line with no problems. As for putting the plugs back in, I could get the torque wrench on the reservoir bolt, so that one is at 40ft-lb, but could not get it on the engine drain. So that was tightened "best guess". Should I worry about that?

One last question. Robin's directions state that the oil will back flow after about 8 quarts, as indeed it did, but I was thinking afterwords, wouldn't removing the dipstick prevent this back up as the air could escape through the dipstick tube? Just a thought.

All in all, a great learning experience. The construction on these cars is absolutely amazing, what a pleasure to see and feel! It took several hours due to a few false starts and locating things, but I should be able to do them in just 1-2 hours next time.

A very rewarding experience!
Old 08-25-2003, 03:41 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations!

I personally wouldn’t worry about proper torque on the various items you list, ether the ones you couldn’t get a wrench on or the ones that you don’t have a torque setting for. “Good and Tight” is good enough.

Another suggestion: don’t remove the oil line to get at the small filter. You don’t need to. Removing things that don’t need it is just asking Murphy to come join the party.

Tom
’95 993
Old 08-25-2003, 04:24 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

thats a great idea about removing the dipstick to help the slow oil fill syndrome. I wonder if it would help.

I will be changing oil soon and will try and report..

Quick Reply: Completed 1st DIY oil and TRX fluid change