Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Help! Rufus is powerless.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 12:40 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When lead acid batteries drop below a certain threshold they seldom come back to life. 0.02v is pretty darn dead. Its possible you got a bunk battery and it just died prematurely, it happens.
You can try to charge the battery but I doubt it will hold a charge under a load. The good news is it sounds like your battery is under a prorated warranty and replacing it will get you back on your feet (tires).
Old 01-02-2015, 01:55 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed, you'd be better off swapping in a fresh battery and then dealing with the battery warranty at a later time when you're not in a rush.

ALSO TO CLARIFY THE DRIVE IS SATURDAY, NOT TOMORROW (FRIDAY)! Please, please, please don't show up at that Starbucks at 7:30 AM tomorrow wondering where the heck everyone else is!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:25 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Pags993
New dual battery charger/maintainer in order but I would also suggest one of these for future incidents.
Fantastic product and built very well. No need to call for a boost, or do the 2 car mambo or mess with boost cables. Hope you get it started for tomorrows run
I picked up a pair of the new compact LiOn battery chargers to keep in each car.
They work well for 10+ jumps and also provide a power source for PC & cell phones.

http://www.frys.com/product/8330657?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Old 01-02-2015, 02:37 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Good morning. I put the charger on at 2A all night. This morning the battery read 12.7V, but kept dropping as I held the voltmeter on it. I tried starting the car, and it started up OK. I called the battery shop, and realized the old battery is 37 months old... just outside of the free replacement zone. A pro-rated replacement will cost $117.00. I took the battery out and dropped it at Autozone for a check. They said that the battery tests ok, but only has 50% charge. Does that seem right with 2amp charge for 12 hours? They said they would charge it and retest the battery... come back in an hour. If the battery is indeed bad, I would probably get the replacement at Costco. Thoughts?
Old 01-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I strongly recommend getting a new battery. Bringing your battery "back from the dead" can be almost pointless, based on its performance/maintenance history. Charging and retesting the battery may provide false security as batteries can acquire a "surface charge" that may look good now, but fail again in the short term. Yeah, $117 is a bite in the pocketbook but at least you should be good again, unless there are underlying issues in the charging system.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:52 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds like you're on the right track. Keep in mind you'll get a discounted battery price if you trade in your old one at the same time. (That or the posted prices assume you're trading in your old battery.) At least that was the case at AutoZone/O'reilly's iirc. I'm not certain how Costco handles these things.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:56 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Good morning. I put the charger on at 2A all night. This morning the battery read 12.7V, but kept dropping as I held the voltmeter on it. I tried starting the car, and it started up OK. I called the battery shop, and realized the old battery is 37 months old... just outside of the free replacement zone. A pro-rated replacement will cost $117.00. I took the battery out and dropped it at Autozone for a check. They said that the battery tests ok, but only has 50% charge. Does that seem right with 2amp charge for 12 hours? They said they would charge it and retest the battery... come back in an hour. If the battery is indeed bad, I would probably get the replacement at Costco. Thoughts?
Previous threads regarding batteries have suggested Interstate as one of the better batteries for our cars, and I concur.
On year three for my latest; the previous Interstate lasted 13 years!
Gordo
Old 01-02-2015, 04:50 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Steve - I just got a battery from Costco a week ago, after my battery of 9+ years started acting up. It wouldn't hold the charge.....
Old 01-02-2015, 04:58 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 362 Posts

I think the Costco batteries are just rebranded Interstate batteries so they should be good.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Any new battery. SearsDiehard. Walmart. AutoZone. Durlast. EverLast. Interstate MTP-91.

All fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 01-02-2015, 06:11 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks all. I decided not to take any chances with this 3-year-old battery that was suspect. I bught a new Interstate battery from Costco. In and running. Fingers crossed that the old battery was defective.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:29 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Thanks all. I decided not to take any chances with this 3-year-old battery that was suspect. I bught a new Interstate battery from Costco. In and running. Fingers crossed that the old battery was defective.
Make sure the vent kit is properly attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 01-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Richard 911
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Great Call and Good Luck... In addition to all the other comments, trying to run with the old battery would've placed too much stress/strain on the alternator, etc.

From what it sounds like, you should be good to go and ready for a great drive! Send pics!

RP
Old 01-02-2015, 09:42 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

At least we don't have to code new batteries on these antique 911s. About the last of the DIY battery replacements.........
Old 01-03-2015, 12:19 AM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
At least we don't have to code new batteries on these antique 911s. About the last of the DIY battery replacements.........
Ain't that the truth!

Quick Reply: Help! Rufus is powerless.