993 Forum 1995-1998

993 RS Tribute - The Build - The Photo's

Old 02-06-2015, 04:36 PM
Wiseguy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great build!
Looking forward to see more update.

Kind of off topic, but have one quick question.
Did you use an impact gun to tighten the top nut when installing your camber plate?

Thanks

Last edited by Wiseguy; 02-07-2015 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:46 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks

I used an offset box end wrench, I have used a impact gun in the past as well.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:19 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

This goes perfect with coffee on a Saturday morning. Keep the updates coming
Old 02-07-2015, 10:48 AM
trophy
Race Car

I'll have a coffee, cream and sugar please...

For the weight loss freaks, this chunk off the a/c bracket weighed in at just over 2lbs...

My 'I cant get into that small space tool'....aka My Son
Old 02-09-2015, 01:33 PM
trophy
Race Car

This is where the fun begins.... All the new parts that were put in to the engine. I don't have alot of photo's of the cleaning process as I was cleaning and the thought of grabbing the camera with my filthy hands was far out of my mind.

The following are the comparisons of the different parts put in against the original bits and pieces in the engine. This was a good exercise to see just how things can change or what upgrades look like.

Hydraulic (top) vs Mechanical rockers. These were exchanged to allow the use of very aggressive cams in the new engine

Mechanical rockers vs Hydraulic (right). Side by side showing the difference in pad size as well the extra oiling hole in the hydraulic rocker.

Mmmmm Titanium... Here is the stock rod (Left) Compared to the 997 GT3 Titanium rocker. Weight difference:- Stock 565 gm vs GT3 436gm (both Including rod bolts). Also the Bigend is larger on the GT3 by 5mm. This slows the bearing speed down for longevity at higher RPM

GT3 (Right) has wider journals for both big end bearing as well as small end bushing. The wider bushings plus the bigger big end equate to better high RPM performance.

GT3 Crankshaft.. There are alot of differences between this and the stock crank: The main one being this is a fully counterweighted crank, which actually increases the weight over the stock unit by approx 2.5lbs.

This is a great shot of the 'fan shapped counterweight' of the GT3 Crank. Also here you see the balance hole, on the other side of the journal is a counter sunk hole with an oiling hole. perfect balance. The yellow dot is the indicator for the bearing set needed to match this crank.

Here is a closeup of the Stock crank, note the difference in shape and size of the counter weights.

DC/80/RSR Cams, you can see the size of the cam lobes compared to the stock cams. These are a little more agressive that the 993 RSR cams. Duration @ 1mm Intake 283 vs 280, Exhaust 264 vs 264. The lift is also a little higher on the Intake side 0.505 vs 0.490. Exhaust being the same. Another difference between my cams and the RSR;s is the lobe center separation. Mine being 108 Degrees vs 109 for RSR. Last difference is the lift at over lap (how you setup the cam timing) 5.1mm vs 4.6 for the RSR. Also, you will notice there is no drive nose on the cams for the power steering pump

Stock cams: 241 Intake / 234 Exhaust Duration @ 1mm. Lift .472 Intake / .433 Exhaust. Lobe separation of 113 Degrees.

Stock magnesium oil pump.

Here is the GT3 Pump showing the extra intake port. (I will post better pics of this one as soon as I get them)

Last edited by trophy; 02-09-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:40 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Your pics: awesome.

Cosmoline: bad.

Andreas
Old 02-09-2015, 02:21 PM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Great pictures... I love seeing stuff like this. Thank you for posting this up.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:46 PM
trophy
Race Car

Default Life got in the way!!!

It's been a long time since I have updated this thread, going through some of the photo's I had got me re-inspired.... Doug, who wrote the articles for Excellence Magazine also has a couple of thousand photo's on his camera as well that I will try and integrate here as well...

Hope you enjoy, If you have any question's fire away!!!

PArt of the build process was the blueprinting.. Every part was measured and weighed. right down to the rings. Once everything was weighed the parts we marked and the data was put into a spreadsheet to start the mix and match process. This is the work that costs alot when paying someone....

This was how the engine finally balanced out. Left to right identical (to 0.1g) and the heaviest to lightest only 0.4g difference. As a reference the stock Piston(100mm)/Rod/Pin/Ring assembly weighed 1147 grams, the new Ti GT# Rod/105mm Piston, Pin and rings weighed 1001 g. A total reciprocating saving of 876 grams.

Each bearing shell, crank journal, case bore and rod big end was measured. This data was also put into the spreadsheet so I could match the clearances to ensure they were 1. In spec and 2. as close to the same as possible.

Then came the first round of cleaning...every journal, every bearing shell. This is a long process..

Plenty of this was used in the cleaning.

So pretty, almost too goo to go into the engine...

got to love new parts...

Everything was then put together DRY (well a little oil to protect), this is the test fit to make sure everything is where it should be, the lash for the intermediate shaft is checked etc.

GT3 Oil pump and intermediate shaft being put into place.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:01 PM
trophy
Race Car

Once everything measured out correctly the whole thing was pulled apart and then Cleaned again..... This final cleaning was painstaking it had to be perfect...

Just because this looked so good.....

All the pretty bits inside...

The new intermediate shaft bearing, in place. The old one was the original catalyst for the rebuild...

Some of the sealants used for the rebuild, the pic below was my diagram to show what was used where... The sealant process was as recommended on Pelican via the Ultimate engine sealant thread!!

I know, this was a little ****

Bearing shells in place with engine assembly lube...

Yes, I know, bare fingers.... Best way to go

Engine case sealant going on... No photo's of between this and putting the case halves together, that was a 2 person job Following the Pelican thread, my engine has been perfectly dry!!!

Closeup of the GT3 Oil pump... The tabs were not fully in place around the nuts in this photo

Engine case together...
Old 05-11-2016, 02:06 PM
trophy
Race Car

More case pics.

Me doing stuff

Close ups just because I could....

Old 05-11-2016, 02:14 PM
trophy
Race Car

Default Piston ring fitting....

Each ring was hand fitted, They would be put into the cylinder, and then the gap between the ends was measured. Every ring, every cylinder....

Hand grinder used to the fitting, each then needed to be deburred and the

LN Engineering Cylinders mmmm tasty!

Fitting the sized rings onto the pistons...

Joining up the Pistons and Clylinders...
Old 05-11-2016, 03:39 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 73 Posts

***Heavy Breathing***
Old 05-11-2016, 04:21 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Wow!
Old 05-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Sam P