Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Why is one of my fog lights always on?

Old 11-22-2014, 11:39 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why is one of my fog lights always on?

Greetings.
In any 'on' position of the head light switch, my left fog light comes on regardless of the position of the fog light switch. Right side fog light works as it should. Any ideas where to look for my short circuit?
Many thanks...
Old 11-23-2014, 10:38 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Could be be speaking of the marker lamp related to the turn signal being left on when parking the car?
Old 11-23-2014, 08:41 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

No, it's the fog light. Blinkers/markers work as they should in all modes.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:11 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The European Porsche's have a feature to allow the right or left front/back turn signal lights to illuminate for street parking to warn other drivers of its location. This is provided while there's no key in the ignition. Just turn your signal switch and the light will turn off, there are two steps in the switch for each side .

Cheers Guy
Old 11-24-2014, 01:21 AM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by briefescape
The European Porsche's have a feature to allow the right or left front/back turn signal lights to illuminate for street parking to warn other drivers of its location. This is provided while there's no key in the ignition. Just turn your signal switch and the light will turn off, there are two steps in the switch for each side .

Cheers Guy
Actually the Canadian cars have the same feature. My old C2 and the current C2S did and does.
gtroth issue is with the fog Lights and not the signal and marker lights.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:49 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Assuming you haven't already done so, I would start with removing the lamp and making sure all the wiring and connections are as they should be there. It's easy to do and ensures you are working with the lights intact. If all is okay with the lights, then you'll probably need to look at the switch itself, which requires removal of the radio. Here's a Pelican DIY on installing rear fog lamps that shows how to get to the switch for the front fog lamps: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...om/switch2.htm

Hope it works out for you.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:03 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jo-hans
Actually the Canadian cars have the same feature. My old C2 and the current C2S did and does.
gtroth issue is with the fog Lights and not the signal and marker lights.
Yes, my USA car does this too. And yes, you're right, my issue is with the fog light

Originally Posted by TMc993
Assuming you haven't already done so, I would start with removing the lamp and making sure all the wiring and connections are as they should be there. It's easy to do and ensures you are working with the lights intact. If all is okay with the lights, then you'll probably need to look at the switch itself, which requires removal of the radio. Here's a Pelican DIY on installing rear fog lamps that shows how to get to the switch for the front fog lamps: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...om/switch2.htm

Hope it works out for you.
Yeah, I know, that's the first step. I would like to avoid doing that if there is another usual cause, though, because the bumperette bolts on the other side were badly rusted and took a lot of time and care to get them off without breaking the studs...but I certainly appreciate the good ideas. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2014, 11:03 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

I actually can't see any way for this to happen unless the wire from common point 9 to the left fog light is shorting to a switched +12.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:54 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Pull the fog lamp relay (R31) and turn your headlamps on. If the fog lamp still lights up, then the problem is in the "downstream" (Towards the lights) from the relay panel and is probably a short as you described.

If, after removing the fog lamp relay, you turn the headlamps on and the fog light does not light up, there are five more relays identical to the fog lamp relay in the panel. Take one that has nothing to do with the headlamp circuit and plug it into the fog lamp circuit.

If the substitute relay eliminates the problem, then you need a new fog lamp relay.

If the problem remains with the substitute relay, you can assume that the problem is in the "upstream" (Towards the switch) from the relay panel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why is one of my fog lights always on?