Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   what exactly is a "respray"? (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/843526-what-exactly-is-a-respray.html)

Dukerdog 11-12-2014 01:11 AM

what exactly is a "respray"?

OK, may be a dumb question but what does it mean when a car has been "resprayed"? Is this different from being repainted? Thanks.

BradB 11-12-2014 01:13 AM

No difference. Just means it's been repainted.

race911 11-12-2014 01:35 AM

Because UK car magazine, and it's been picked up in internetspeak.

Cuda911 11-12-2014 02:07 AM

Why do you ask? Are you looking at a car that has been resprayed?

Realize that a "respray" can mean quite a few things... ex: just a hood/bumper respray because of rock chips, a "full" respray but without disassembly of the car, a full frame-off respray, and everything in between.

So, if you are looking at a car and someone says it has had a respray, find out exactly what that consisted of.

mgianzero 11-12-2014 02:08 AM

Even though a "respray" is "repainting" the car, the connotation of a "respray" is that the car body structure was good and needed just a refresh to the paint due to either chips, scratches, color fade or maybe some small dings. But the bodywork was minimal and the new paint is just to refresh the look and not hide any real body damage that required a lot of prep work (bondo, etc.).

But, I also agree with Cuda911 ... a "respray" can mean more than just old paint to those who are not truly honest. It helps to have documentation on the reason for the respray, especially if you are considering buying.

NYC993 11-12-2014 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dukerdog (Post 11796837)
OK, may be a dumb question but what does it mean when a car has been "resprayed"? Is this different from being repainted? Thanks.

I don't think it's a dumb question but devil is in details and defition of "respay". When I went for quote to very reputable body shop for a small scratch on a fender, he said they would paint the part of the panel that was scratched and then clear-coal the whole fender. For a large chip it would be the same thing. They would never do partial clear coat, so the whole panel would be resprayed even if small part was "re-painted".

I think there can be various levels of "respray". Some will retain most of the original paint some may not.

jg291446 11-12-2014 07:53 AM

My interpretation :

Respray = Refresh

Repaint = Repair (body damage, rust, scratch, etc)

ble2011 11-12-2014 08:56 AM

I had to have a "respray"when my drivers side stone guard area was removed. My painter was excellent and was a perfectionist. He had to paint almost the entire drivers side of the vehicle to get it to come out right. You cannot tell. However, I now will always have to explain why the "respray". So, in my case, when and if I sell, I will always have someone that will not believe my story because I have no documentation.

nine9six 11-12-2014 03:12 PM

Respray usually means some portion of, or the entire car has been resprayed the SAME color. (per a painter pal) Repaint could indicate a color change...

Here, or anywhere else for that matter, the terms could be used interchangeably.

mgianzero 11-12-2014 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by nine9six (Post 11798075)
Respray usually means some portion of, or the entire car has been resprayed the SAME color. (per a painter pal) Repaint could indicate a color change...

Here, or anywhere else fo that matter, the terms could be used interchangably.

Good point. A "respray" tends to assume the car is painted the same color as well.

Yes, these words are really mean the same thing. But a "respray" tends to have the connotation of a "refresh" of the paint and not do to heavy body damage.

Mark in Baltimore 11-12-2014 03:53 PM

IMO, respray=repaint=new paint somewhere. An owner could have had tired paint that he wanted to repaint...or respray. If a car has been badly wrecked, I don't care what you call it, the car has new paint and body work.

H.H.Chinn 11-12-2014 07:22 PM

UK, Europe, rest of world = Respray
North America = Repaint
Either can be done to various degrees, complete to partial, scuff and paint, repair and paint, all the way to a complete colour/color change.
Refresh = When wives, significant others go to the washroom together.

nine9six 11-12-2014 07:31 PM

I guess we can all agree that both terms tend to be used interchangeably...Potatoe/potaughtoe

mgianzero 11-12-2014 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn (Post 11798810)
Refresh = When wives, significant others go to the washroom together.

That depends too. Some go to the washroom to repaint their faces!

Mark in Baltimore 11-12-2014 08:46 PM

A wife refresh can be either a trip to the plastic surgeon or a trip to divorce court, depending on how you spray it.