993 Forum 1995-1998

993 TT brake fluid leak....help

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 10:07 PM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 993 TT brake fluid leak....help

You guys have been a great help in the past. I have another one for you.

So I just got my oil changed and brake fluid flushed Prior to putting the car up for the winter. I Checked under the hood when I got it home and everything looked fine. No leaks or drips. Put the car up on the lift. Been traveling and working a lot....3 weeks later notice brake fluid all over the hood, bumper, and left fender of my 997 turbo underneath....which needless to say needs some paint work now.

My question: what happened! Cap seemed finger tight. Dealer insists they did nothing wrong and didn't overfill it.

To make matters worse thie same thing happened 2.5 yrs ago when the brake fluid was changed! Same shop and I specifically reminded them about it this go round. Awful mess to clean up but no lift 2 yrs ago

Is this a mechanical problem?.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:09 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewjn
My question: what happened! Cap seemed finger tight. Dealer insists they did nothing wrong and didn't overfill it.
er,,,, I'd drive the 997 up there and show it to the gm and ask him if this is his idea of nothing wrong because it's certainly not yours!

If the trunk is dry they probably left a bleed nipple loose. If so, the safety issue is even worse than the paint issue on the 997, which is terrible in itself.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:09 AM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

your 993 turbo has a hydraulic pressure system for the brake fluid, when the key is turned a pump starts and fills/pressurizes the accumulator. after the car is shut down the pressure holds for some period of time then releases. during that pressure release brake fluid flows back into the reservoir.
to check this, open the hood and eyeball the brake fluid level, then turn the key to the on position, you don't need to start the car. when the pump starts you will see fluid flow out of the brake reservoir as it fills/pressurizes the accumulator.

now, my guess is the person flushing the brake fluid had no idea what they were doing. while the system was pressurized that person topped off the fluid to the very top. no problem while waiting for you to pick it up, fine while you drove it home and parked and checked it. but after a few days the accumulator released the pressure and all that extra fluid needed someplace to go.

this is my guess based on the info you provided. if your 993 turbo still has brake pressure and is safe to drive that would confirm my guess. I'm also going to guess the shop will tell you that some seal or valve has failed and can be fixed for only 2 grand.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:16 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by k722070
your 993 turbo has a hydraulic pressure system for the brake fluid, when the key is turned a pump starts and fills/pressurizes the accumulator. after the car is shut down the pressure holds for some period of time then releases. during that pressure release brake fluid flows back into the reservoir.
to check this, open the hood and eyeball the brake fluid level, then turn the key to the on position, you don't need to start the car. when the pump starts you will see fluid flow out of the brake reservoir as it fills/pressurizes the accumulator.

now, my guess is the person flushing the brake fluid had no idea what they were doing. while the system was pressurized that person topped off the fluid to the very top. no problem while waiting for you to pick it up, fine while you drove it home and parked and checked it. but after a few days the accumulator released the pressure and all that extra fluid needed someplace to go.

this is my guess based on the info you provided. if your 993 turbo still has brake pressure and is safe to drive that would confirm my guess. I'm also going to guess the shop will tell you that some seal or valve has failed and can be fixed for only 2 grand.
+2. It is not coincidence that this all happened after someone opened the system for a fluid change.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:18 AM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

All good points. Thanks!

Yes, the only time the break fluid has leaked was immediately after the service. Both times. Bone dry in between. And there is no leak in line....it's just overflowing the reservoir, dripping down the left front fender, and out below the spare tire.

The shop has experienced technicians and I just don't believe they can mess up a brake fluid change twice in a row!
Old 11-05-2014, 11:47 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

The shop has experienced technicians and I just don't believe they can mess up a brake fluid change twice in a row!
I need to disagree at least for this this job. The tech messed this up ...
Old 11-05-2014, 12:31 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

there might be 1 or 2 experienced technicians, say each with 15yrs experience.
but you gave them an old car from the last century. it is possible the only 993 turbo brakes they've ever worked on was your car and they just use the standard method for a vacuum boost system.
plus the job was likely handed to the lowest guy on the totem pole so the new technician could learn how to work on a porsche without messing up a fancy new car.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:13 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with the above posts. The bleeding process, if you really do a full flush properly, is much more involved on these 993's with the pressure accumulator. I would quiz them on how they did the brake bleed job and I am willing to bet they did it wrong.

The proper procedure has been posted here before. Do a search on brake bleeding issues. I know I was stumped until I got guidance from others on this forum. I think the OEM and Bentley manuals may cover this as well, but the past forum posts are very detailed and have photos. Find them, get educated, and then you must confront the service place. The damage you had is inexcusable. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:16 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Originally Posted by BradB
I agree with the above posts. The bleeding process, if you really do a full flush properly, is much more involved on these 993's with the pressure accumulator. I would quiz them on how they did the brake bleed job and I am willing to bet they did it wrong.

The proper procedure has been posted here before. Do a search on brake bleeding issues. I know I was stumped until I got guidance from others on this forum. I think the OEM and Bentley manuals may cover this as well, but the past forum posts are very detailed and have photos. Find them, get educated, and then you must confront the service place. The damage you had is inexcusable. Good luck.
Can you post a link to the posting with the pictures? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:56 AM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Can you post a link to the posting with the pictures? Thanks.
Here are a couple to get started. I did my flush around 3/2013. Searching under "accumulator" and "brake bleeding" will bring some others up. If I find more I will post them.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...questions.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...nts-which.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...technique.html

Inside the frunk, the accumulator is barely visible here, tucked in the far passenger side corner just beyond the spare tire. It's the black cylinder with a white reflection on it. Sorry, can't find a better shot yet.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:59 AM
BradB
Drifting

Another...

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...lp-needed.html
Old 11-12-2014, 12:43 AM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Default brake fluid leak after flush

you all are much more tech savvy than i am. The car was dropped at the same dealer today for a lower valve cover gasket replace and they are going to look over the brake system.

If they find a mechanical problem then the paint work on the 997 is probably on me.

At any rate it will be one for the books here so i will let you guys know how all this turns out when i know more...
Old 11-12-2014, 02:17 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

The fluid level does change with the accumulator depressurizing but even with the reservoir really full, I'd think it would be a little unusual for it to overflow to the point fluid drips on the ground. I've done this and the most fluid that I've had over flow is just enough to fill up the ridge around the cap and minimal down into the trunk. The more common fluid spill is the overflow of the small pentosin reservoir from a failing turbo clutch slave.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:45 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
The fluid level does change with the accumulator depressurizing but even with the reservoir really full, I'd think it would be a little unusual for it to overflow to the point fluid drips on the ground. I've done this and the most fluid that I've had over flow is just enough to fill up the ridge around the cap and minimal down into the trunk. The more common fluid spill is the overflow of the small pentosin reservoir from a failing turbo clutch slave.
It can easily overflow under certain conditions.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:43 PM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Default Here's the problem.....apparently

Very funny you should mention the clutch slave. When I was cleaning the mess from the brake fluid I noticed that very small cylinder leaking as well. So now I'm told the clutch slave needs replaced to fix that leak...2k. This is getting expensive! Any input? Suggestions?

I need to do more research on the brake fluid leak. But here's what I'm told the technician discovered....from a laymans perspective. The brake booster is bad. Apparently it was pulling fluid from the front chamber and backing it up into the middle chamber where it overflowed. I don't quite understand how the booster could be malfunctioning like this and cause this problem. The brake pedal feel was fine. At any rate they disconnected the booster for now until I have a chance to take the car back in.....when the weather clears. Over 2 k to fix this...that part is expensive!

Anyway.....my car is not a piece of crap. The thing only has 24 k miles. Guess this comes with the territory of a car sl most 20 yrs old. Any suggestions on this stuff?

Quick Reply: 993 TT brake fluid leak....help