Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

:::Coping with depression::: 993

Old 09-11-2014, 10:46 AM
gaby1088
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default :::Coping with depression::: 993

As some of you know, I'm a med student out of the country. I only get 10 days of vacation every 4 months.. then I will be moving to Maine/Chicago/NYC for my final 2 years of med school (which is not ideal for a 993 for winter.) During my last break last week, I had to sell the car. It was such a dream to drive and I hated driving the car over to a seller and would almost turn back and just cancel the sale.. But between insurance (which was 1400 every 6 months), and having the car just sitting in the garage, it wasn't financially practical to have it. It had a 119,000 miles, fully loaded with every option from Porsche. I was the 3rd owner and the car was shipped to Florida from California where I purchased it during a trip there.

Its been tough, I know I can't drive that beast anymore, in amazing florida weather with the top down. I fixed all the little things, seals, full AC system etc. I made a small profit off of it but that doesn't matter. Im sad that i won't be able to go home during my December break and go through those 6 speeds. The smoothness of the ride under normal driving, and how it magically transformed into a driving beast when I wanted it to push it.

I found myself looking for other 993s during class, and reminiscing through the pictures and the great times I had with the car for the past 4 years. Its truly the ultimate driving machine (sorry BMW, my M3 never came close to the emotional feelings i had driving the 993)

How do you cope with something like this? I get very connected to things and its hard for me to let things go, took me a while to get rid of my m3 because it was my first car, and I invested $20,000 in a full dealer repaint, custom made parts and suspension among other things. But the 993 is different, I didn't modify it (mostly because I didn't have the cash and realized it was stupid to spend all that money as a young guy.) I know that I probably won't be able to afford another 993 in the future (we drs don't make much money for a while, and I won't be getting a paycheck until 4 years from now and it'll be a measly 40k for a few years. Ill be around 35 when I can break the 100k salary mark, but I hopefully will have a family and house/office to tend to.

I told the new buyer that when SHE no longer wants it, i would be more than happy to buy it back from her (she's elderly.) hopefully that will be sooner than later

Sorry for the rant, I just get very emotionally attached to things. I am aware I can buy any 997 for around 40k, but I don't want to. I want a 993, but who knows. Maybe one day Ill come around to a good looking one at a good price. But for now, thank you for all the support you guys gave me and all the questions I bothered you guys with. Ill stick around here in the forum to enjoy and hopefully answer any questions

Love you guys, you are a great group of people and this is my favorite forum BY FAR.

PS: sorry for the long thread haha.

Heres a pic the last day before they picked up the car with my niece in the background, to say the least, my 10,8,7 year old nephews faces when I told them I sold the car was priceless
Attached Images  

Last edited by gaby1088; 09-11-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:46 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I know that I probably won't be able to afford another 993 in the future (we drs don't make much money for a while, and I won't be getting a paycheck until 4 years from now and it'll be a measly 40k for a few years. Ill be around 35 when I can break the 100k salary mark, but I hopefully will have a family and house/office to tend to.
Finish med school, do your residency, take good care of your patients, dont overbook your office and before you know it, you'll be able to afford almost any nicely kept, low mileage 993!
Oh yeah, and call me in the morning...
Old 09-11-2014, 12:00 PM
shaggy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 6 weeks vacation?

10 days vacation every 4 months means 30 days vacation per year equating to 6 weeks vacation. That's European, something to be thankful for.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:01 PM
HerrDoktor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a 993 in med school as well and it is almost as hard to watch it sit in the garage 9-10 months of the year while I'm now a resident. Not to mention I can only afford maintenance and little DIY upgrades, trying to save for the suspension upgrades but to no avail. I feel like I barely drive it.

You just can't work on the car and drive it the way you want to in residency. So you would be in the same boat of longing if you still had the 993. And your chances of wrecking it in your sleep deprived state are that much greater. I banged my driver mirror pulling out of my garage at 2am. That after dropping $$ on a paint correction. Oops. And parking at the hospital feels like Russian roulette.

All will be better in a few years. You can buy and actually enjoy the car then.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:09 PM
gaby1088
Instructor

Originally Posted by HerrDoktor
Bought a 993 in med school as well and it is almost as hard to watch it sit in the garage 9-10 months of the year while I'm now a resident. Not to mention I can only afford maintenance and little DIY upgrades, trying to save for the suspension upgrades but to no avail. I feel like I barely drive it.

You just can't work on the car and drive it the way you want to in residency. So you would be in the same boat of longing if you still had the 993. And your chances of wrecking it in your sleep deprived state are that much greater. I banged my driver mirror pulling out of my garage at 2am. That after dropping $$ on a paint correction. Oops. And parking at the hospital feels like Russian roulette.

All will be better in a few years. You can buy and actually enjoy the car then.
nice! yea, it was mostly for insurance because for some reason mine was super high (no accidents, tickets etc) so that would be 12,000 over the next 4 years in insurance alone assuming it doesn't rise from what it is now Good luck on your residency!!
Old 09-11-2014, 12:38 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 122 Posts

"How do you cope with something like this?" You're a doctor, self medicate Just kidding! get through school, residency, set up practice and buy another one when it is financially responsible. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. You'll have one again before you know it. $1,200 every 6 months for ins is crazy. I pay $900 a year.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:52 PM
msw
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 14 Posts

patience grasshopper
Old 09-11-2014, 02:23 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

OP, it's posts like yours that remind me why I never want to be in a position to have to sell my 993. I think I would react very similarly.

The elephant in the room, and this is another thread topic entirely, is: what will be the market values be like when you are finally in a position to afford one again?
Old 09-11-2014, 02:50 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 289 Posts

yup- I had an 85 911 targa that I loved! sold it after 7 good years of service and missed having the car for another 12 years- then bought my 993. Still miss the Targa, but the 993 is pretty awesome. There will always be cars out there and as a soon to be full-fledge MD, you'll be able to swing one..
Old 09-11-2014, 03:36 PM
gaby1088
Instructor

Originally Posted by kreeshp
OP, it's posts like yours that remind me why I never want to be in a position to have to sell my 993. I think I would react very similarly.

The elephant in the room, and this is another thread topic entirely, is: what will be the market values be like when you are finally in a position to afford one again?
I have no idea I don't know if were just in a bubble or if this growth of value will continue for a while until it plateaus too high. But you'll never forget your first Porsche. I remember we were driving in Monterrey when my baby and I spotted each other and instantly made a connection, my baby was so happy when I bough her, she knew she was going to a great home. I pretty much slammed the brakes, made a U turn, and bought the car.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Become an Anesthesiologist and earn beau coup bucks. Then buy a 993TT!
Old 09-11-2014, 03:58 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Not to be dismissive of your situation, but if this is the worst thing that has happened to you in your short time on this earth, you have lived a charmed and blessed life. There will be other cars. You have a lot of life in front of you. Go live it.
The following users liked this post:
stevensivak (07-20-2020)
Old 09-11-2014, 04:22 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
Not to be dismissive of your situation, but if this is the worst thing that has happened to you in your short time on this earth, you have lived a charmed and blessed life. There will be other cars. You have a lot of life in front of you. Go live it.
Seconded.

Pick a specialty where you perform procedures and all your financial problems will disappear in short order.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile And in addition...

Originally Posted by nine9six
Finish med school, do your residency, take good care of your patients, dont overbook your office and before you know it, you'll be able to afford almost any nicely kept, low mileage 993!
Oh yeah, and call me in the morning...
If you were ex-US for your first two (2) years, and you got into a US Med School for the last two, you are exceptional. Sadly, foreign medical school; graduates do not do as well seeking residencies as US students do. The percentages are shocking...50%, or thereabouts, so I am told. Seems sad since they have to pass the same Step 1 test that US Medical students take before advancing to the last 2 years of Medical school, the clinical rotations.

You already know what to do....Study, study and then a little more and be at the top of your class the last 2 years, then........then, Kick some serious *** on your Step 2 test, and get it done in time for the annual residency "cattle call" (I forgot the exact name of this process). ....my step daughter recently went through this drill. She passed Step 2 but her results came in about a week too late for the residency drill....she needs to putter around for another year, to do the annual residency drill.

Thank God we have people such as yourself coming into the profession every year, the best and the brightest!
Old 09-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 81 Posts

Best to go into medicine for the humanitarian aspect these days, b/c Obamacare gonna lead to controls on what a doc can make. You should be able to afford a 996 tho ;-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: :::Coping with depression::: 993