Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Where to get a PROPER alignment (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/827118-where-to-get-a-proper-alignment.html)

therossinator 08-01-2014 11:58 AM

Where to get a PROPER alignment

I am about to drive 5 hours to get a proper alignment with kinematic toe from Jim Ellis Porsche in Atlanta. I have verified that they have the proper factory tools and expertise and I have heard from others on the forums here who have used them before. Given the scarsity of shops that know, let alone specialize in, aligning 993s I though it would be good to complie a list.
So starting off:
Jim Ellis Porsche
Atlanta, GA
$350 + $35 off for PCA members.

Shtootgart 08-01-2014 02:34 PM

West End Alignment
18008 S.Vermont Ave.,Gardena,CA
310-808-9233

pirahna 08-01-2014 02:36 PM

In the Ca Bay Area:

Borelli Motor Sports in Santa Clara (A+ in my experience)
Custom alignment in Mountain View
TC Design in Milpitas
Roger Kraus Racing in Castro Valley
JWE in Campbell

abarthguy 08-01-2014 03:02 PM

Seems no one looked at your location before recomending a shop......

pp000830 08-01-2014 03:10 PM

I have found finding a shop that has the right equipment, can do it properly and also has the volition to use care to identify and suggest any work that may be needed to get it done right is not easy. I had mine done at a dealer once who found he couldn't get my front end within specifications and said 'something must be bent" and just set it a closely to correct as he could. In retrospect I would have been happier if he told me what was bent and what it would take to fix it.
Andy

Kika 08-01-2014 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Shtootgart (Post 11546828)
West End Alignment
18008 S.Vermont Ave.,Gardena,CA
310-808-9233

+1, been a customer of Darin's since he worked at Johnson's.:thumbup:

RealPolItiK 08-01-2014 04:19 PM

I would be hesitant. Darin at Westend (trained under Steve Alarcon at Johnson's Alignment) doesn't use the kinematic toe tool. I've called and verified. That being said, I firmly believe an alignment that doesn't incorporate checking the KT isn't a proper alignment.

For us folks in SoCal, the only real option is Jae Lee down in San Diego.

Originally Posted by Kika (Post 11546936)

David A 08-01-2014 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kika (Post 11546936)

Me too.

Magdaddy 08-01-2014 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by therossinator (Post 11546454)
I am about to drive 5 hours to get a proper alignment with kinematic toe from Jim Ellis Porsche in Atlanta..

My next alignment is probably gonna be 7 hours away. There is still something left in the car, never been as good as when Joel Reiser first did the hubstand alignment. Late last year I drove 4 1/2 hours to a shop in NJ, massive amounts of experience with 993's...but the car simply isn't as good as it was before.

When your at Jim Ellis, if you come across a Porsche tech named Gene Downey...please tell him Joe Mag from Finnegan Porsche days said hello. Remind him of my 90 Audi Coupe Quattro if you want to hear stories. Great tech, huge personality.

goofballdeluxe 08-01-2014 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by RealPolItiK (Post 11547099)
I would be hesitant.

Fair enough, but you would be in the minority.

Darin at West End is widely known to be one of the best alignment guys here on the 993 board.

His reputation speaks for itself. I'd recommend him all day long for anyone in SoCal.

RealPolItiK 08-01-2014 05:23 PM

If by minority you mean agreeing with Chris Walrod, Bill V., and the other 993 guru's of this message board that actually have an understanding of this car's temperamental suspension then I would hate to be in the majority.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe (Post 11547180)
Fair enough, but you would be in the minority.

Darin at West End is widely known to be one of the best alignment guys here on the 993 board.

His reputation speaks for itself. I'd recommend him all day long for anyone in SoCal.

goofballdeluxe 08-01-2014 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by RealPolItiK (Post 11547248)
If by minority you mean agreeing with Chris Walrod, Bill V., and the other 993 guru's of this message board that actually have an understanding of this car's temperamental suspension then I would hate to be in the majority.

Sounds like your suspension isn't the only thing overly temperamental.

Some listen to others. Some find out the truth for themselves.

You can take your car where you want.

therossinator 08-01-2014 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by abarthguy (Post 11546901)
Seems no one looked at your location before recomending a shop......

Yeah, I kinda figured there would be a few in California. Where are all the shops for the rest of us? CA is hoarding all the good alignment shops. Outside of Cali you drive for hours to find a shop that even knows your talking about. I spoke to some tech who say that because I lowered my car, that drives KT out of spec. He said he had seen it before and I should trust him because he's a Porsche tech with 20 years experience and not just an avatar on some forum.
I would rather trust someone who has known my specific model for five years than someone who knows the entire Porsche range for their entire life.

The last alignment shop I went to loosened the KT on the passenger side and never tightened it up again. I found this when I did a complete brake job a few days ago. The entire assembly wobbled when I tried to pull the rotor. Plus the tire wear was immensely lop sided. Good thing I got new tires to go with the brakes. If my car feels this nice when its bad I can't wait to try a properly aligned 993.

3healey 08-01-2014 11:27 PM

Pat Williams Racing in Memphis, TN. The best in the business.

race911 08-02-2014 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by pirahna (Post 11546834)
In the Ca Bay Area:

Borelli Motor Sports in Santa Clara (A+ in my experience)
Custom alignment in Mountain View
TC Design in Milpitas
Roger Kraus Racing in Castro Valley
JWE in Campbell

Take Tony off the list--he's moved beyond mere 993 street cars. Amazing where he (and his brother Joe) have come in a decade. They've just completed an E92 racer, and were out at Sears testing today.

Many have had Brandon Kraus do their cars; I felt I needed to do mine over myself. Take that for what it's worth....... (Understand that was the sole alignment I've subbed out since I did my first one in '80 with 911 #1 when I was 18.)