Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Where to get a PROPER alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 12:52 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Don't get hung up on the kinematic tool-a 993 can certainly be aligned the "old fashioned" way by someone who knows what they are doing, albeit at a higher price due to setup time.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:00 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Don't get hung up on the kinematic tool-a 993 can certainly be aligned the "old fashioned" way by someone who knows what they are doing, albeit at a higher price due to setup time.
How much is higher price? All the shops in the Bay Area seem to charge between $280-350 with kinematic.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:20 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I was north of $550, probably a bit over $600- he modded some drop links to in my total, so can't recall what the setup ran-with corner balance at Jae Lee's shop. He is very astute at interpreting my likes. I think he's the best, and glad he is in San Diego.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:27 AM
Shtootgart
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abarthguy
Seems no one looked at your location before recomending a shop......
He didn't ask for a recommendation, he had the smart idea of creating a list.

As for Darin at Westend, KT or not, drive no further if he's in your area. As previous poster said, the proof is in the pudding and I can speak from experience and more than a year driving the car since he aligned it and put a new suspension on it--solid work. I'd be very surprised to see anything negative posted about his alignments by someone who had work done there.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:46 AM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
In the Ca Bay Area:

Borelli Motor Sports in Santa Clara (A+ in my experience)
Custom alignment in Mountain View
TC Design in Milpitas
Roger Kraus Racing in Castro Valley
JWE in Campbell
I had it done at custom alignment for $240 (120 per axle) a few months ago, very happy with the job they did. I also called JWE, their quote was in the $600/$700 range.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:34 PM
mstolo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If your coming all the way to Atlanta, I'd recommend Gran Turismo East. They just put on my PSS10's, adjusted the ride height and full alignment. Car runs great. They can do track/race setups or road. My son also takes his M3 there as well. Its not a glamorous shop, but they clearly know what they are doing. I'll add, all the work they did was quite reasonable.

http://www.granturismoeast.com/

Last edited by mstolo; 08-03-2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: added text.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:54 AM
bjornebo
Instructor

Any suggestions for eastern WA state (something that doesn't require going to the Seattle area)?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2014, 01:02 AM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bjornebo
Any suggestions for eastern WA state (something that doesn't require going to the Seattle area)?

Thanks
I bet Nathan in Richland, WA would know. He puts on the 993 fest.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:21 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Temperamental suspension?

We see above, "993 guru's of this message board that actually have an understanding of this car's temperamental suspension."

The 993 LSA suspension actually is not that complex, is it?. It has the usually independent suspension adjustments, toe, camber, etc., and one more kinematic toe (KT), or as Jae Lee refers to it rear bump steer adjustment.

I had Jae set up my KT years ago and have not touched it since. He does an incredible job using dial gauges, etc…his protocol is a trade secret.

All I know, is when KT is improperly set, and you go into major deceleration mode, the rear end will hop around a bit, even cars with LSD will hop with a bad set up. With the KT properly set, along with the rest of the rear suspension parameters, no hop…simple as that.

Between alignments….I have not seen the need to do any tweaks to the eccentrics as would be indicated by poor handling and/or strange tire wear.

I have hard, that it is difficult to get a KT gauge to work on a car lowered to RS ride height….this can't be true,,,Porsche would not want to sacrifice the KT adjustment on their limited production 993 RS and 993 RS CS and the 993 RSR, and GT2 .

Lastly, Darin has been earning kudos for years. Somehow he manages without a KT bubble gauge.
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2014, 01:03 PM
AllMine
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Please correct me if i am wrong.... I live down the road from Brumos and was wondering if it is possible or advisable to see if the race shop could work on our 993 alignments?
Curt
Old 08-04-2014, 02:40 PM
jpmbozzle
Intermediate

Any ideas in the NYC area
Old 08-04-2014, 07:00 PM
RealPolItiK
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Case in point.

Originally Posted by Martin S.
We see above, "993 guru's of this message board that actually have an understanding of this car's temperamental suspension."

The 993 LSA suspension actually is not that complex, is it?. It has the usually independent suspension adjustments, toe, camber, etc., and one more kinematic toe (KT), or as Jae Lee refers to it rear bump steer adjustment.

I had Jae set up my KT years ago and have not touched it since. He does an incredible job using dial gauges, etc…his protocol is a trade secret.

All I know, is when KT is improperly set, and you go into major deceleration mode, the rear end will hop around a bit, even cars with LSD will hop with a bad set up. With the KT properly set, along with the rest of the rear suspension parameters, no hop…simple as that.

Between alignments….I have not seen the need to do any tweaks to the eccentrics as would be indicated by poor handling and/or strange tire wear.

I have hard, that it is difficult to get a KT gauge to work on a car lowered to RS ride height….this can't be true,,,Porsche would not want to sacrifice the KT adjustment on their limited production 993 RS and 993 RS CS and the 993 RSR, and GT2 .

Lastly, Darin has been earning kudos for years. Somehow he manages without a KT bubble gauge.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Jae doesn't use the gauge either, to my knowledge.

Funny, I go back to him on the 12th to reset after my engine drop late last year.

Originally Posted by Martin S.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Was on vacation all weekend, so just getting back "online"

As stated, true, Darin does not use a KT tool for our 993. I have known Darin for a long time and fully trust his abilities.

As for pricing, I have found him to be quite competitive. I take my car where I am comfortable, everyone else has that same freedom.

In nearly 20 years of taking cars to Darin, I have always driven away as a satisfied customer. admittedly, my car is a street car, so I am not trying to shave seconds off my time to Starbucks either.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

The factory KT gauge works fine on RS height cars, but lower not so much, when you get down really low you need the racing gauge that hangs from the rear calipers.

KT adjust castor, which allows toe to change as the wheel goes up and down, 0 toe change is uncomfortable a little is good, a lot not so much

Any ideas in the NYC area
take a trip up to Oxford Ct, Dan Jacobs shop

Quick Reply: Where to get a PROPER alignment