993 Forum 1995-1998

GP Automotive Renewal Service: 993S - Phase 3, Clear Bra, and Nano Coating

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:27 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TONY AIR C2S
No paint, original as it came from the factory.
Thanks Tony. Your car looks great.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:37 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 706 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
I have a question for Moe. What exactly is nano surfacing?
And a question for Tony. Did you paint the inside of your fog light housings? They look quite good.
Nano is referring to the particle size of the product. Typical waxes and sealant are about the size of planet earth...nano is about a small marble in relation to that. Surfaces such as paint and glass are porous...the more you can pack into the pores, the more densely packed the surface becomes. When you manipulate the paint in this manner with nano, you form a 3-d mesh on the clear coat. This mesh now becomes the sacrificial layer. Extreme durability measured in years, not months. The "lotus" effect when it comes to cleaning due to the hydrophobic effect of nano. And a shine and clarity that is very distinct and lasts for a long time.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by The Eagle
Moe, how did you remove those headlight washer nozzles?
You gently slide the nozzle down, and use a thin plastic tool to nudge it up from the hole. Then just disconnect the hose.

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Moe, each car varies of course but what is a ballpark number for hours spent on a 993 for stage 3 restoration like this?

OP, beautiful car!
This entire project took us about 40 hours
Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 AM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, great attention to detail. thanks for sharing
Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tony, thanks for taking such great care with my future C2S!

Absolutely breathtaking car and detail... the only thing I could imagine owning without a GT in front of it these days... spectacular.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:34 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish you were in the Midwest. 😄

Ca you share some detail on the process and materials used for the seats? I have a couple of sets of sports seats in storage that I'd like to bring back to perfection.

Thanks much,

Rick
Old 07-29-2014, 10:52 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great work Moe, the attention to detail is motivating!

And Tony, your car is beautiful!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:16 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 706 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
I wish you were in the Midwest. 😄

Ca you share some detail on the process and materials used for the seats? I have a couple of sets of sports seats in storage that I'd like to bring back to perfection.

Thanks much,

Rick
Rick, the key to having any leather treatment work well, is cleaning and removing all the dirt, body oils, and previous products used. Sometimes, it may take us almost 3-4 separate cleaning processes just to be ready to use a conditioner.

Start by using a proper leather cleaner that doesn't have to harsh of cleaners. You spray liberally directly on the seat. Use a soft hog hair bristle brush and begin working cleaner into leather. It should foam up nicely and you can wipe off with clean mf towel. Let it air dry, a minute or so, then see how flat and matte the leather is. There should be no shine.

When leather is not shiny anymore, do a final cleaning with a damp mf towel in warm water. Now you can condition. If you truly want to nourish the hide, use Leatherique Rejuvenator oil. Rub it in by hand, do it over a few days allowing the interior to get warm and leather to sweat. Then come and wipe off with Leatherique Prestine Clean. You do this every 18-24 months.

If you want to simply do a light conditioning, use an all-natural leather conditioner that doesn't have a lot of chemicals in it. I use to use zymol treat years ago.

I've since developed my own all-natural leather cleaner and conditioner we use on all our services.

Hope this helps
Old 08-03-2014, 03:47 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I waited a long time to have Moe do this work. My original clear bra was starting to yellow, as I was told it would when I got it approx. 6 years ago. The more research I did the more I realized that there was only one person, some what local to me, that I could trust my pride and joy with. It's not easy finding a true professional that has experience in Porsche autos, paint detailing and metering, leather cleaning and conditioning, clear bra removal and installation, and engine compartment detail work. Any mistakes in any of these areas could be more costly to fix than the original cost of the work. As the prices of our cars seem to be going higher than I thought they ever would, I think it's worth the investment to keep it in as original condition as I can for as long as I can.

Quick Reply: GP Automotive Renewal Service: 993S - Phase 3, Clear Bra, and Nano Coating