hmmm...looks like my car when I first got it...best color combo..lol
Old 07-24-2014, 07:18 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Mother of God that's a nice car. Glacier White/black and sport seats. Truly stunning.
Thanks for the kind words. Many think white paint cannot be brilliant and dazzle in the sun. I hope this 993S shows that it can be done.

Originally Posted by kjr914
Geez....I and my car feel woefully inadequate....

Wow...just Wow!!! A job well done!
Don't feel that way. Any DIYer can begin doing their part just one project at a time. Before you know it, your car looks amazing. Just needs TLC and some know-how

Originally Posted by Grapeape
That rule would apply in many cases for me but this would not be one of them. For me the condition of paint and how much road rash exists and the expected outcome of the restoration versus the cost versus a proper re-spray would be the deciding factor.
I respectfully disagree. A re-paint, done correctly, will cost $8-10K...but that's not the biggest part. Any great painter can do an amazing job, maybe even better than factory, for that price tag. One thing that can never be re-done or bought...originality. You can always let you car go and then just replace the part. But these cars are worth much more and deserve the respect of being maintained and cared for with the next owner in mind. IMHO, you are never the owner of these vehicles. You are its current care taker. These cars will be passed down for decades and will outlive us. How you choose to take on that responsibility, well, that's the happy or sad chapter in a car's story.

Porsches are meant to be driven. There is an ownership experience that no one will ever understand until they own one. I think an important part of that experience, that we can enhance, is the visual and aesthetics of such amazing mechanical art on wheels.

At some point, you get out of your Porsche, pull over to a nice stop on the highway, grab a drink or a bite, sit down for a few moments and admire what you are privileged to drive. In that moment, I want my client to relax from the exhilaration of the drive, take in the air, sun, nature, and take in the subtle beauties of the car in the midst of the landscape. The lines, curves, different textures, how the metal is shaped and how it blends with the glass, etc. There's something poetic about it all. That experience is hard to do when you have distractions like swirls or scratches in the paint, slimy and greasy tires, dents on the car, yellowed or oxidized paint/clear bra. These imperfections rob you of that sensory experience.

I hope that makes sense. This level of attention, and our services, aren't for everyone. But for those that do see it of value, all I can say is, It's MAGIC for all those fortunate to be a small part of the car's journey.

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Excellent job!!
Thank you sir...appreciate you checking it out.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:56 PM
Grapeape
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Moemistry, I did not intend for my comment to sound like I minimize your talent and effort, for that I apologize. I'm not familiar with the level of restoration you provide to your customers but will learn from professionals like you that are so passionate about their craft.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:13 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Grapeape
Moemistry, I did not intend for my comment to sound like I minimize your talent and effort, for that I apologize. I'm not familiar with the level of restoration you provide to your customers but will learn from professionals like you that are so passionate about their craft.
No apologies necessary...I never took it that way.

Some forget how these inanimate objects nourish memories, feeling, and emotions that all of us at some point have felt. Like a father passing on a car to his son, and his son reliving the memories and emotions of his father still in that car.

I decided, long ago, every vehicle coming to my studio, would be treated with respect and dignity and cared for in a sustainable manner that is both beneficial to the car, and value to the client. That's why I do long threads like this...to educate enthusiasts such as yourself on what a proper "detail", or renewal service as we like to call it, entails. A lot of skill, patience, and passion goes into doing what is done at this level.

I hope threads like this also help to better see where time and money goes. This type of work is done only a few times in a car's life. The rest is simple maintenance that a client can do.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:25 PM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

How did you get the color on the hood matching again? Did I miss that?
Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry

Porsches are meant to be driven. There is an ownership experience that no one will ever understand until they own one. I think an important part of that experience, that we can enhance, is the visual and aesthetics of such amazing mechanical art on wheels.

At some point, you get out of your Porsche, pull over to a nice stop on the highway, grab a drink or a bite, sit down for a few moments and admire what you are privileged to drive. In that moment, I want my client to relax from the exhilaration of the drive, take in the air, sun, nature, and take in the subtle beauties of the car in the midst of the landscape. The lines, curves, different textures, how the metal is shaped and how it blends with the glass, etc. There's something poetic about it all. That experience is hard to do when you have distractions like swirls or scratches in the paint, slimy and greasy tires, dents on the car, yellowed or oxidized paint/clear bra. These imperfections rob you of part of that sensory experience.
Gold! Pure gold!
Old 07-25-2014, 12:12 AM
SPDR
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What car doesn't deserves a day at the spa? Tony, I already thought your car looked amazing...and now, 4get about it Great work Moe!
Old 07-25-2014, 08:35 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
How did you get the color on the hood matching again? Did I miss that?
Polishing the paint got us very close. There was still a very light difference, but few would ever notice.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:44 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

I'm not a pro by a long shot, but I do enjoy automotive detailing. It's a side hobby that is very time consuming but I really enjoy doing the work myself. However, it would be nice to find someone with your expertise not only in detailing, but in Porsche also, here in the DC area. I would love to send my car to the pro to do their magic once every 2 years or so. Fantastic work, Moe!
Old 07-26-2014, 08:16 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a question for Moe. What exactly is nano surfacing?
And a question for Tony. Did you paint the inside of your fog light housings? They look quite good.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:29 PM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Moe, how did you remove those headlight washer nozzles?

~ The Eagle ~
---------------------

'96 Polar Silver/Black C4S, manual, litronics, LED's in the positioning lights, alu/leather shifter & handbrake,
silver face gauges with alu rings, hardback sport seats, full leather interior, motor sound airbox, stainless door sills,
valve caps Porsche crested brushed alloy, front protection bar, with split rear grill and layered with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

'92 Carrera 2 (Sold)
'89 Carrera 3.2 (Sold)
Old 07-26-2014, 02:49 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
I'm not a pro by a long shot, but I do enjoy automotive detailing. It's a side hobby that is very time consuming but I really enjoy doing the work myself. However, it would be nice to find someone with your expertise not only in detailing, but in Porsche also, here in the DC area. I would love to send my car to the pro to do their magic once every 2 years or so. Fantastic work, Moe!
ask solomonchris which detailer he uses.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:56 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Moe, each car varies of course but what is a ballpark number for hours spent on a 993 for stage 3 restoration like this?

OP, beautiful car!
Old 07-26-2014, 02:58 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
A re-paint, done correctly, will cost $8-10K...
Not sure about SoCal but up here it would likely cost double that, at least. And my reference point is for 2009 prices, it's very likely more now.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your work!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:49 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
I have a question for Moe. What exactly is nano surfacing?
And a question for Tony. Did you paint the inside of your fog light housings? They look quite good.
No paint, original as it came from the factory.

Quick Reply: GP Automotive Renewal Service: 993S - Phase 3, Clear Bra, and Nano Coating