993 Forum 1995-1998

993 air conditioner problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 11:20 PM
nrubenstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowflying
Griffith, oh well don't like it, to expensive for what it does, recently I did a 993,
decided for the all alum. replacement, did some tests with a Griffith vs. the all alum. one, no diifference in temps, and at about 1/4 the price of the over priced Griffiths.,Cheers.
If the Griffith is more durable than the stock unit (which is likely as it has fewer braised joints and no dissimilar metals), it's well worth the premium if you expect to hold on to the car. The evaporator is a pain in the *** to get to.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:30 AM
TexPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I deal with ac systems everyday and less braised joints means less chance for leaks. I am in the process of changing my evap on my wife's cab. I would suggest renting or borrowing a leak detector. As others have said, remove the pollen filter and start checking. You will need some pressure on the system. If your system is flat then a leak detector will not do you any good. Check every mechanical joint, this means removing the drivers side front wheel, checking around the drier, which if you open the system you will need to replace, Condensor etc.

It is a pain to r/r the evaporator, doable but not fun.

Quick Reply: 993 air conditioner problems