Poor Rennlister Buying Experience ;-(

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:03 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Ben,
Sorry to hear this. The seller sounds like a charlatan - even Helen Keller can tell the difference between a solid spoke and a hollow spoke 993 wheel. He knowingly sold a mismatched set of wheels and hoped that the buyer was both blind and a double-arm amputee.

Shame on him.

Andreas
If I were buying hollow or solid spokes, then I'm still checking Porsche part #'s on each wheel. But the bent wheel should be reimbursed by the seller, even if the seller didn't know. That's the RL way.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:06 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

Cemoto - Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Not the same guy though, and the wheels were not described as perfect. My main focus was that they were a set (not true), straight and true (not true in both senses of the word).
Old 07-15-2014, 07:14 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Update - the seller has responded. Maybe he saw this thread. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:18 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBen
Thanks, Andreas.

It is hard to remember how many things I've sold or bought through Rennlist, but I've never had a problem before this one. I've sold some mufflers, an FD Motorsport 200 cell catalytic converter, some headlights, a wheel and airbag...

It would be great if Rennlist had some type of function like Ebay where users could get points for successful transactions.
Yep. I've had a few hundred transactions with Rennlisters since '05. I can't remember getting duped, not have I ever felt the need to dupe a buyer.

Looking forward to a favorable resolution for you.

Andreas
Old 07-15-2014, 07:32 PM
TheBen
Drifting

We shall see.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:37 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden
To me, there is only one deciding issue - the bent wheel.
Not sure about that. Mismatching two rear rims that have vastly different weights cannot by a good option. Handling has to be compromised.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

I have only had positive experiences - both buying and selling.

Well ONE funky one - I sold a 993TT model car, and shipping took some time from Canada. Buyer got impatient, and bought another one! Then tried to knock a few bucks/short pay from the agreed price once mine arrived. Who NEEDS a toy model IMMEDIATELY? Not too classy on a $30 item that cost $15 to ship...

Honestly, you can tell a lot about who you are dealing with by reading their posts.

If someone comes across as an ***, disagreable or unhelpful in their posts, not sure you will do so well if a dispute arises. If someone won't disclose their full name when you are communicating with them by PM or email, well...

So many good folks here - just a few rotten apples and the occasional dork that needs to be be put on your ignore list.

Good luck getting this sorted out.

Best,

Matt
Old 07-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RodKnock
If I were buying hollow or solid spokes, then I'm still checking Porsche part #'s on each wheel. But the bent wheel should be reimbursed by the seller, even if the seller didn't know. That's the RL way.
I noticed some 993 twists on CL being sold over on the Peninsula/Redwood City-area. These aren't your wheels are they Rodney?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:23 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find it a little bizarre that you posted a complaint to the forum before you even contacted the seller. None of us can help you -- but he can.

Not everyone is an eagle-eyed enthusiast who would notice the difference between solid spoke and hollow spoke wheels. And no, they're not actually that much different in weight. And the seller might have been perfectly honest in saying they're straight -- you mentioned he dismounted the tires for you, i.e. he might have had them on his car and didn't notice anything awry, so he said they were straight.

Just don't understand posting a complaint that has instigated an utterly predictable online lynching of the (currently anonymous) seller, before you've even heard back from him. Or maybe that was the point?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:25 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
I noticed some 993 twists on CL being sold over on the Peninsula/Redwood City-area. These aren't your wheels are they Rodney?
Nope, not mine. I'm keeping my twists.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:26 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Not sure about that. Mismatching two rear rims that have vastly different weights cannot by a good option. Handling has to be compromised.
Yup. Agreed 100%.

My point was that it would be tough to assume the seller was being malicious/negligent based solely on the inclusion of the hollow spoke. Just not enough data to go on... Seller could be lacking in basic awareness of the wheels.

Regardless, crappy situation and hope it gets resolved. I too have had nothing but good experiences buying and selling within the RL community.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:30 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden
Yup. Agreed 100%.
"vastly different weights" -- solid spoke is 29 pounds. Hollow is 24.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:31 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've taken wheels to a wheel repair shop for a re-paint, that to me looked fine and were OK on my car, only to find that they have a wobble and are out of round. Especially the rear wheels, which are wider and carry more weight, thus more susceptible to being bent by a "bump in the road". Myparticular shop handled correcting that issue easily. I'm not sure that the generic "tire store" on the corner can do this type of fix. So, if the wheel looked ok visually, not misshaped, I'm not sure if you can find fault with the seller on that point.

As to the hollow vs solid, many get it backwards easily. Can you clarify...did you get 1 hollow and 1 solid rear with solid fronts? Or are both rears hollow and fronts are solid? If they are at least matched pairs (the latter), I don't think its a big deal to use them that way. HOWEVER, it IS a mistake in the sellers advertising and they are not a matched set of wheels. An honest mistake is still misrepresenting the sold goods, so the seller should make good based on that point.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:34 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 980 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
I've taken wheels to a wheel repair shop for a re-paint, that to me looked fine, only to find that they have a wobble and are out of round. This particular shop handled correcting that issue easily. I'm not sure that the generic "tire store" on the corner can do this type of fix. So, if the wheel looked ok visually, not misshaped, I'm not sure if you can find full fault with the seller on that point.

As to the hollow vs solid, many get it backwards easily. Can you clarify...did you get 1 hollow and 1 solid rear with solid fronts? Or are both rears hollow and fronts are solid? If they are at least matched pairs (the latter), I don't think its a big deal to use them that way.... BUT, it IS a mistake in the sellers advertising. An honest mistake is still misrepresenting the sold goods, so the seller should make good based on that point.
A voice of reason.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:56 PM
TheBen
Drifting

I did contact him before I opened this thread, and didn't hear from him till just recently. The "discussion" is ongoing.

kjr914 - one wheel (a rear) was hollow spoke. All the others are solid...so it wasn't a matched pair of solid fronts with a pair of hollow rears.

Quick Reply: Poor Rennlister Buying Experience ;-(