Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Fabrication/solution help with a carpet install project (RS Hybrid) (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/824405-fabrication-solution-help-with-a-carpet-install-project-rs-hybrid.html)

JPS 07-14-2014 02:35 PM

Fabrication/solution help with a carpet install project (RS Hybrid)

I'm trying to do a sort of classy Frankenstein project here.

My car is TRUE dual use: I live in Manhattan and I own the 993, with no other cars. I put my child in the back with a child seat, wife in the front, pack it to the gills and go on family trips. I also pull all that out and put in a DAS rollbar and other zoomy bits for track days.

So while the DAS rollbar isn't so bad for once per season or something, it is very tiresome and causes a lot of wear on the rear side bolsters that have to be moved out of the way to get the bottom bar of the rollbar into place when I'm doing it many times throughout the season.

So I'm thinking the following. I pull out the rear vinyl side armrest / side panels essentially permanently, and instead install a nice piece of matching carpet there. I've sourced the carpet and a Rennlister was nice enough to send me an RS carpet pattern for that piece.

I looked at Sunset to get the seat belt ratchet/spool thing cover, and they are available but for $600/pr. Ouch! I don't want to leave them bare as my son gets in and out of there when there is no rollbar, I put in luggage and such, etc. Also, in case of an accident, I don't want that piece sitting there...sort of sharp.

So, couple questions:
1) Does anyone have these covers that I could either cover and get someone to copy with a MakerBot, or
2) Does anyone have any or could take some great pictures to figure out how to make something similar, or
3) Does anyone have any better ideas on what to do ?

Thanks,

JPS 07-15-2014 03:33 PM

Bump

axl911 07-15-2014 04:03 PM

Just get a used side cover piece and recover it /w vinyl or black carpet. The RS carpet piece actually looks like crap once in place b/c it dosn't cover the bumps and lumps of that area.

That is what I did.

JPS 07-15-2014 04:10 PM

Thx. But that doesn't really solve my problem of the PITA of removing and installing that piece several times...

Interesting feedback on how it looks though. Hm.

axl911 07-15-2014 04:57 PM

Okay. Get used side cover piece. Cut a flap or hole which will allow you to install/remove the rollbar. Recover the side piece and the flap with vinyl. Now you have an access hole/flap. Kinda like the cover piece on the RS side skirt to drain the oil tank.

BTW, I still think the RS carpet side piece is ugly. That is why I didn't use it in my RS carpet install.

JPS 07-15-2014 09:57 PM

Thx for contributing. I'm trying to figure out how to make that work though. The bar has to come in from the front and sort of slide into place. I don't think mouse hole type opening would work.

Sort of stumped. Anyone have good pics of the RS side back pieces in place? Maybe some trick to making that look better?

ToSi 07-16-2014 12:45 AM

photo in post #5 here -> https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...vs-others.html

I have a pair & can measure for you, not too keen to send them out as they're silly expensive & wouldn't make good molds without removing the carpet covering them. Good idea about 3d printing a pair, will ask someone w/ a printer if they can duplicate. An easier alternative might be to bend up some sheet aluminum into a box large enough to cover the belt reel.. the covers are fairly simple shapes.

RS America should have used similar, the days of people parting them out to build race cars have likely past but worth looking around just in case.

Jeff96-993 07-16-2014 03:54 PM

I purchased some interior bits recently from Automotion. I was surprised they had them, and I was surprised to find they were reasonably priced. It's worth a shot to see if they have what you need.

JPS 07-18-2014 02:01 AM

No luck. Thx though.